Performance Improvement Plan -harrassment?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4579 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Further to my earlier post regarding disciplinary action due to disability related absence -I have another question;

Another catalyst in my work related stress issue was a poor mid-year review, when I graded as 'performance below expectations'. The poor performance was focussed very much on my managerial skills rather than my technical ability. I received a lot of positive feedback for that side of my role, though the 'leadership weaknesses' have somewhat hindered my overall performance and I freely admit that.

I have never received ANY training in leadership skills during my time with the company and have no such previous experience. I have asked for this several times and been told I don't/shouldn't need it.

I spent my first three and a half months with the company without access to a computer, having to negotiate time on colleagues' machines.

I spent 6 weeks 'working from home' (Feb/Mar) with a broken foot. I presented myself for work, but no ground floor offices could be made available, so the HS manager insisted I should work from home on health and safety grounds. My manager frequently refers to this as 'time away from the business'.

Half of my team of two people has been away on long term sick leave for most of my time with the company and I have been denied a replacement to help with the workload.

I have a insufficient amount of equipment to perform the work required of me. I was only able to deliver a recent project thanks to a supplier loaning a piece of equipemnt on trial.

Whilst my performance has not been great, there are a number of mitigating circumstances. I have been placed on a performance improvement plan which I feel addresses NONE of the issues I feel are critical to my performance. It simply focusses on my day to day work load and puts the entire blame for shortcomings in my performance on my 'inability to manage myself'. When I've shown I can do that, I can have my other responsibilities back!

I have protested that this process is not fit for purpose, that I find it is exacerbating my stress levels. My views on how it could be improved, from a point of view of effectiveness and to make it less stressful for me are being ignored. I'm just not being listened to.

Could this be interpreted as harrassment?

Edited by Alchymist

PPI successes to date:

Northern Rock £437.19

One down and four to go........

Hi,

Are you able to appeal?

Were you ever appointed a mentor or another manager to assist you in dealing with managerial issues?

Was the alleged poor performance ever brought to your attention prior to the review?

Does the company have a staff handbook/personnel manual and if so are details of the performance procedures contained in it?

Is there a job role or Job description for the post you are in at the moment?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a clear picture of things.

Gbarbm

Not sure about the appeal, as I haven't asked -I have indicated that I'm not happy with the situation and that is a matter of record.

I've never been appointed a mentor or another manager to learn from. I've been asking for support since January, my manager told me my 'poor managerial performance' was an issue in May/June -around the time I informed him my stress levels were creeping up.

I've never seen a copy of the employee handbook and can't be sure whether such a thing exists. I don't know what constitutes the need to be put on a PIP -the appraisal system seems very subjective.

I have seen a job description. They were aware when they employed me that I 'didn't tick all the boxes' but informed me they would give me the support in the areas where I lacked experience.

PPI successes to date:

Northern Rock £437.19

So, they expect you to work wonders and sh*t miracles while they don't have to do anything!

I don't know if you are in a union or if the company has a grievance procedure but I think that's something you should look into. The employer has certainly NOT given you the support you required despite them promising it and you asking for it.

if it's a small company with no HR department , would there be a director or trusted senior colleague you could discuss your concerns with?

I'm no expert but I am sure one of the contributors with employment law knowledge will be able to give you further advice.

Gbarbm

Please describe the ‘performance improvement plan’. What precisely does it entail?

Why is this plan ‘not fit for purpose’, in your opinion?

What have you proposed should be done instead to improve the plan?

What exactly has your doctor stated on your sick note as your reason for absence this time?

Is the reason given for your absence this time the same as previous times?

Have you decided the previous thread on this subject was not fit for purpose?

The performance improvement plan involves me planning my day to day workload with my manager and he decides whether I'm doing enough. There's currently no managerial scope to the role, they've assumed that I can't cope with that while I'm suffering from anxiety. I feel that in order for the PIP to be fit for purpose, it should directly address the performance issues highlighted in my mid year review -this isn't doing that.

I've proposed I should have the chance to work with a mentor and attend at least one leadership training course. My doctor's original fit note stated I would only be fit to work if I had support with my managerial skills -this has not been addressed.

My current fit note states I'm unfit to work due to work related stress (as the original fit note did) this one also lists side effects from the initiation of medication for work related stress.

The other thread was started in error -I meant to post a reply to this one!

PPI successes to date:

Northern Rock £437.19