How could I pay Norway parking tickets?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4559 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Guys,

I rented a car when I was in Norway for vacation a week ago, and I get a parking ticket.

But my bank could not transfer money to that account to pay for the fine.

Do you have any ideas that is there anyway that I could pay for it use credit card or something?

I am desperate.

Best Regards.

Larry.

Thanks a lot.

I guess it's a private company, it says on the ticket:

Stavanger Parkeringsselskap KF

St. Olavs gate 6

4005 Stavanger

stavanger-parkering.no

I've been to their website, there's nothing about the payment, and their contact email is not replying.

Help me..

I have no idea whether or not private parking tickets in Norway have any legal standing. They don't here, but other countries' laws doubtless vary. But even if they're legitimate, if you're not going back to Norway any time soon then the company in question would find forcing you to pay up to be somewhere between "more trouble than it's worth" and "impossible". It's not as if you're going to be extradited over an unpaid parking ticket.

However, you do have a problem if Hertz are going to pay on your behalf, add a ludicrous "admin fee" and bill your credit card.Car hire companies are fairly notorious for doing this. What does your lease agreement say about this situation?

I would pre=empt this by informing Hertz that you do not believe this parking charge is valid or legal and tell them that they are not authorised to pay it on your behalf as such invoices are not covered by their T&Cs regarding PCN s. Further, (just because I wouldn't trust Hertz as far as I could throw them... ) I would contact the credit card company for the card you have logged at Hertz, and tell them you have had an "accident" with your card when you [sat on it] [stood on it] [put it in the washing machine]* and need a new one.

Hertz may still pay the invoice for you, but at least you have given them the legal difficulty of proving the validity of the invoice before they get your money rather than you fighting to get it back.

*delete as applicable

Do you just want to pay it? I think it will be tricky - you could try cash by recorded delivery. Or, you'd need someone in Norway to do it for you. Paypal is a good way to move funds internationally, but you'd need them to agree, or have someone receive it an pass it to them. Not easy.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a private parking company, and here in Norway have similar rights to what they they do in the UK, so if you were dealing with them yourself, you could just ignore them and they'll go away...

BUT,

You're not dealing with this yourself, and no matter what you tell them or write to them, Hertz will pay the "fine" for you and they will bill your card.

So, as Notts_Phil wrote,

Cancel your card.

Do it right now, and inform your card issuer NOT to make any payments to Hertz without your express permission.

Been there, done that, and had to fight like hell to get it back.

Edited by djweeble

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum