style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4552 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today my parents received a letter at their London address (where i dont live since Feb 2011) regarding council tax which i owed of £1003.81 for a Birmingham address. I had a monthly direct debit set-up for some reason ended up failing and being removed, since then this is the first time i have heard from Equita. The letter is under my wife's and my name she is out of work since Feb 2011 til present and i have just started last week. None of us have the funds to pay the amount.

The letter posted THROUGH THE DOOR on the 10th Oct 2011 stated:

"Payment due in full in 24 hours.....i have attended today with the intention of removing goods and chattels as are necessary to discharge the outstanding council tax liability order and additional enforcement charges cost.....Please note no further arrangements are acceptable and payment is now required in full......i will attend your address to remove goods even in your absence....should you wish to avoid this contact me immediately....no contact will be taken as your refusal to pay"

I rang them (before reading that i shouldnt :-x) to say my parents received this letter but i dont live there anymore. I told him i have been out of work for 2 years and only started working this week. He replied saying it doesn't matter he needs full payment or a court order would be issued, i said it doesnt matter even if i go to court as i cant pay and will still arrange a monthly plan. Obviously more fees would be occurred so i would rather deal with this matter ASAP.

The bailiff told me he'll give me til Thursday (4 days) to try and get the money but said i doubt i can. The only method for me will be to get a monthly plan sorted again but im not sure they will....or is there any way i can?

Please do help me

stop worrying, he came to remove goods eh? from someone else's house for someone else's debt he is on a loser with that. as you have no knowledge my first port of call would be council to explain and ask them to take debt back (expect them to refuse and say you can only deal with bailiff). then start paying the council via either online banking or via telephone (get right reference number for debt) bailiffs wont like it but tough. By the way was there any charges on the letter?

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

First off the bailiffs cannot go to your parents and demand money from them. They can have a state dec signed stating that you do not live there.

You can request from the benefits and revenues department of the council that they have the debt returned to them as you have nil income coming in at the moment and ask that you set a payment plan with them. You can make payment to the council using their on line payment facility, make sure you add the ref number to the debt of that council tax year and address. If you start making payments then the council cannot take action to take steps in having you imprisoned this is only done when you wont pay not when you cannot. What ever you do DO NOT let the bailiffs in to your home. Make sure all cars are parked away from the home.

Do you know how much the liability order was for minus the fees of the bailiffs. If not then call the council and ask how much is outstanding. I hope this helps for starters.

let me explain a little:

i lived in Birmingham for 15years and was there when this problem started with the council tax. I started the payment plan but due to lack of funds the direct debit stopped to which i had no notice until the recent letter being received. I moved to London in july 2009 and tried looking for work there, i didnt find anything and moved back to Birmingham in feb/march 2011....hence equita thinking im in london.

When i rang the bailiffs i did tell him i dont live at teh london address anymore but i didnt give a new address. I am going to write a letter to Equita stating my financial conditon and also stating i dont live at the london address and if they send the bailiff there again i will not pay any incurred fees as i am telling them it is not my address.

I will also included my proposition manageable payment by instalments to demonstrate, in writing, willingness to pay. I will also include a breakdown of my income and outgoings, to demonstrate how reasonable my proposal is. This will be sent by recorded delivery, and a copy emailed to info @ equita.co.uk.

from what years ctax is this debt?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and you need to stopall contact with the bailiffs

if you can pay

do it direct to the council concerned

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

as said above DONT CALL THE BAILIFFS they are expert at getting information out of you and getting you to agree to unrealistic payment plans. They are not above asking things like did you see such & such on TV? do you have a pc to email us? then low and behold suddenly a walking possession appear with levy on goods that state TV, PC etc

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

As per padja beware the remote no visit likely invalid levy, also what is obnoxious and is a point that can kick bailiffs is If you do call them only ever do so is you can record the call , I'm sure the powers that be would be most interested if the bailiff was telling a family on low income or benefits to BORROW and take on more debt in order to pay them their fees.

Don't worry Caggers will help you sort this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!