Waiting for Appeal date - Depression and anxiety worsening - advice please

Donald King
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm waiting for an appeal date and am already experiencing a worsening of my anxiety and depression - loss of appetite, tearfulness etc. What will happen if I should lose the appeal? I know I can't go on JSA - I've been suffering with A & D since 1997, and told the Atos assessor (a nurse of about 30) that if I were forced to look for work my mental health would soon deteriorate. To prove the point that he completely ignored, I'm in that position ALREADY! I feel like I'm going crazy. I wonder if the Atos nurse will come and visit me if I have to go into a psychiatric unit again. A friend of mine is worrying about the same thing - and he hasn't even had to be switched from IB / IS to ESA yet.

The second decision maker simply accepted what the Atos guy had written. (He wrote, for example, that I take an anti-depressant 'infrequently' AND 'once a day'!) What's the point of spending hours filling out the ESA450 , trying to be honest and not exaggerating, but describing bad days as well as good days, if no one's going to believe a word you write anyway. I suggested to my GP that he might write a letter, but he told me to wait until I went to appeal, because 'if it hasn't gone to appeal no-one will look at it anyway.' I tend to believe him. Ditto my CPN's advice about the Atos assessment: 'Don't send them a doctor's letter - no one will read it.'

You can reapply for ESA after your appeal fails - especially if your condition has worsened (as I mentioned, this 'worsening' in mental health cases can be caused directly by... DWP and Atos!) If I were to lose my appeal and then turn up at Jobcentre to claim JSA, I think I'd be crawling back to bed in tears in next to no time. The people I really feel sorry for (or rather angry about) are the mentally ill people who can't cope with form-filling and complex bureaucratic systems. I can't wait for my schizophrenic friend to be declared 'fit for work' just because he can clean his teeth, watch TV, and read a book! I think the Atos 'nurse' looked at me: 51 years of age, reasonably well-kempt, able to express myself, and sober (although I do have an alcohol problem) - and decided I could 'work.' His understanding of depression (or mental illness in general) was about nil. I felt like a slave on an auction block in Pompeii - or a horse at an auction. I'm surprised he didn't look at my teeth to gauge my level of depression.

FINAL REMINDER TO ALL CLAIMANTS: You are ENTITLED to be looked after BY RIGHT AND UNDER LAW. You obey the rules, tell the truth, and IN THEORY you should get what you deserve. You are not a beggar or a scrounger - you should get what LAW says you should.

PS I think there are already cases of people committing suicide after being rejected by DWP/Atos. Before long, the families of the deceased will be getting together to take class actions, in particular against Atos Deathcare.

Hello there and welcome to CAG.

I know how Atos make you feel, having been there, been wrongly assessed and won at appeal.

Do you have someone like Welfare Rights to help with the appeal? If not, we can. I have a sticky at the top of this forum's title page that talks you through the process and has a template letter based on the one I used.

The second decision maker simply accepted what the Atos guy had written. (He wrote, for example, that I take an anti-depressant 'infrequently' AND 'once a day'!)

This is exactly the sort of thing you need to highlight to the appeals panel. You seem to have a copy of the Atos assessment, so go through it with a fine tooth comb and find all the discrepancies you can. That will form the basis of your argument.

I hope you don't end up in a psychiatric unit, but if your Community Mental Health team are anything like mine, they will help you. Someone else may know whether the DWP will back off if told to by the team, but only the team can tell if you're to being assessed by Atos.

Does that help any? I'm sure you'll have other replies later.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Own thread started as requested.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

hi honeybee newbie here im trying to find where this "sticky" thing is lol about esa tribunal?.im due mine january sometime and worrying doesnt cover what im feeling how do i find your thread on it please?

its ok i found it lol

Well done :). I hope it helps you. If you have any questions for us once you've had a look, it would be better to start your own thread btw. There's a New Thread [start thread?] button on the left around the top of the stickies, from memory. On that page, anyway.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

When you are ready to appeal get your doctor to back you up specifically on the descriptors you should have won points on.

I gave my doctor the form they had sent me with the results on it, ie. how many points I didn't win for each descriptor.

My doctor said that it helped immensely and a short letter was enough to win me the appeal.

Good luck.

- dj

Benefits rules are complex, and although I do try to inform and support people, I may get it wrong because the rules apply to individual claimants and their particular circumstances.