Rights in exchange under warranty?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3502 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me.

I have managed after much arguing to get an online retailer to agree to RMA a faulty graphics card for me. The card is no longer available, and will either have to be repaired, replaced, or refunded.

I've had a look around their site on the (pretty good) chance it wont be repairable and have found there isn't anything close to the same value I paid for the card (~£500) but there are plenty around the £300 mark that would do the job. If I exchange the card for one of these items, would I also be entitled to a refund of the £200 difference?

As I understand it, when you return goods under manufacturers warranty you are entitled to a like for like replacement or a refund, and since they wont be able to offer me a like for like replacement (although if they somehow can I'll gladly accept it, I'm not looking to try and wangle myself extra money here) I'd be entitled to a refund of the full ammount. So if they offer me a replacement that is worth less money, I should also recieve the difference in balance as a refund, right?

Thanks if anyone can clear this up for me :)

How long have you had the graphics card? If it's not long, and they cannot replace with the same model, they need to give a full refund.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Card is 16 months old but it's under a 24 month manufacturers warranty.

This is what caused the argument, as they tried to claim that outside of 12 months it was the manufacturers problem regardless of any warranty, and then tried to state I had to provide an engineers report confirming it was a manufacturing defect as though it was a post-warranty sales of goods act claim. When I told them that's only neccessary for something out of warranty they finally dropped it and agreed to accept the return.

Over 6 months they can make deductions due to the use you have had of the product. a 16 month old card that cost £500 back then will probably be only worth £300 now, so in short, I personally think you don't have the legal right to demand the cash aswell.

However they don't appear to know what they're talking about regarding your legal rights, as SOGA states the retailer is responsible. They can ask to see an independent engineers report after the product is 6 months old, but if it comes back as a manufacturing defect, they have to refund you for that aswell. I would personally state you paid £500 for a quality graphics card that would last, the acceptable replacement is either a £500 graphics card that WILL last or a £300 graphics card and £200. You would probably have more chance asking for a credit note for the £200, but I still think they'll just reply saying the £300 card has all the same functions if not better than your old one.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar