Re: Home Shopping Direct

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6596 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This concerns goods my better half purchased christmas last year, which she claims she never received an invoice for???

The total cost inc p & p £19.16, administration charges for late payment 2 @ £12.50.

I wouldn't have become involved had I not found this site, but i thought it would be educational for me to see how non banks would deal with the situation!

First letter 17th March 2006

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxx

17th March 2006

Home Shopping Direct.

Customer Contact Centre.

23 Hunts Bank,

Manchester.

M3 1AX.

Re A/C xxxxxxxx

Dear Sir/Madam

Penalty & unfair charges

Administration Charges (presumably 2 x £12.50)

I am of the view that your charges represent a penalty and are therefore irrecoverable at common law. In the Scottish case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract. This is also the position in English law: Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79.

Your charges do not reflect any actual loss.

Accordingly, the charges applied to my account are not a reasonable pre-estimate of the companies loss in relation to my account.

On a separate note, your charges appear to represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). My account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as I am a consumer. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under reference to paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 of the said regulations:

‘Indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair - 1. Terms which have the object of effect of - (e) requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation’.

0n 26 July 2005 the OFT stated that 'a charge is likely to be disproportionately high if it is more than a court would be likely to award if the lender sued the cardholder for breach of contract'. Because your charges include a large profit margin, in addition to actual loss, they are irrecoverable as an unfair term in contract. I believe that your charges require me to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.

Please refund these charges to my account within the next 7 days

Yours faithfully

Mrs xxxxxxxxxx

1st April 2006 received reply saying "Its in the terms and conditions" etc etc, will not remove admin charges.

Second letter 3rd April 2006

xxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx

3rd April 2006

Mr Garry Murray

Home Shopping Direct.

Customer Contact Centre.

23 Hunts Bank,

Manchester.

M3 1AX.

Re A/C xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr Murray

Thank you for your letter dated 30th March. I note that the cheque value £19.16 in full and final settlement has been presented.

However as the two administration charges are in dispute, I would be grateful if you would be kind enough to explain how you calculate these charges. My reason for this enquiry is that you are perfectly entitled to charge your costs involved in my alleged breach of contract re your terms and conditions.

As I pointed out in my original letter dated 17th March 2006 I am of the view that your charges represent a penalty and are therefore irrecoverable at common law.

I would be perfectly happy to give further consideration to paying your administration charges, if you can provide justification, i.e. how they are calculated.

Yours sincerely.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It might be interesting to pay these admin charges "under duress" and then sue for recovery.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Nice - this site must be doing it's job properly ;-)

Would you have any objection to me moving this thread to the "Consumer Action Group" rather than the Bank Action Group?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Nice - this site must be doing it's job properly ;-)

Would you have any objection to me moving this thread to the "Consumer Action Group" rather than the Bank Action Group?

Wherever you feel Dave.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

A to Z index

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6596 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks