• Tweets

• If you do get a letter of Claim and or Pre Action Protocol pack 15. Where there has been non-compliance with a pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction, the court may order that (a) the parties are relieved of the obligation to comply or further comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (b) the proceedings are stayed while particular steps are taken to comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (c) sanctions are to be applied. 16. The court will consider the effect of any non-compliance when deciding whether to impose any sanctions which may include— (a) an order that the party at fault pays the costs of the proceedings, or part of the costs of the other party or parties; (b) an order that the party at fault pay those costs on an indemnity basis; (c) if the party at fault is a claimant who has been awarded a sum of money, an order depriving that party of interest on that sum for a specified period, and/or awarding interest at a lower rate than would otherwise have been awarded; (d) if the party at fault is a defendant, and the claimant has been awarded a sum of money, an order awarding interest on that sum for a specified period at a higher rate, (not exceeding 10% above base rate), than the rate which would otherwise have been awarded. https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct   .
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • Thanks all! My wife was driving at the time (took our daughter to get new school uniform) and I wasn't there so I'm not sure what the signage was actually like, but yes, Parkopedia says 2:30, so it's barely over that. I will check it out with her when she gets home later, I haven't even told her about this yet as she'll probably be quite upset. So - likely my best response at this stage is to just wait it out until a Letter Before Claim arrives?
    • check mcol does it state DQ N180 sent to you? if it does then: https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5088148 3 copies yes to mediation (unless you filed our Statute Barred Defence OR this is a claim for a Private Parking Ticket) 1 wit you Suitability for determination without a hearing? no (that the issues are so complex they need to be argued orally') the rest is obv 1 to the court 1 to their sols (omit phone/sig/email) if no sols send to claimant 1 for your file   dx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bailiffs - the true horrors - The Exposure TV documentary - Rossendales - Comments

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the interest of balance, here is a swift response from Ms G-J

http://www.thecampaignforchange.co.uk/

It took me half an hour to connect with rossendales' website and when I did, some of the link pages were blank. So, I think they are working late tonight.

Well let's hope they aren't busy with any late night/early morning calls. Frankly I suspect that some of those calls are more than sneaking up drives slipping letters through letter boxes to justify a fee for "visiting".

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Point taken caro, but as that one person was named and shamed, so long as he is the only one mentioned and the comments are not too extreme, they can not sue for libel where the truth is being told.

We must also remember that there are law abiding decent bailiffs out there who are equally appalled by this disgusting person's actions also, it doesn't help them either to have the likes of him on the prowl from before dawn to dark

Spot the oxymoron

Spot the oxymoron

:lol:

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Spot the oxymoron

You mean the law abiding decent bailiff? :lol:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Would it be possible to recover monies wrongly taken by a bailiff some years ago ?

A car registered to my (very mentally ill) partner was taken at 2 a.m. and sold (value several thousands) for one parking tickets worth of debt (inflated of course).

The parking ticket was mine, in my name - nothing to do with partner.

Because my partner became increasingly mentally ill (as severe as it can get) she couldn't 'cope' with allowing me to organise legal action to recover her cars value & I have been so battered by various events I haven't been able to pursue it either.

But now I'm making a comeback & want to fight all those human vermin that have ripped me & my partner off for years.

Any opinions about this anyone ?

I am apalled at the content of this programme. 25 years ago I trained as a bailiff but certainly not in the way this guy behaves. Compassion goes a long way and of course you get to know those that are playing games. Any kind of payment was acceptable, even if it was only 50 pence, it was a payment. A bailiff can only enter your home if you let them in, otherwise they can only enter accompanied by a police officer and that has to be well justified..

I became disabled and a wheelchair user 15 years ago and have been on the other end and have been gobsmacked by practices - of course I know my rights and know what they can and can't do but so many people don't and are frightened by the visits. They won't complain either. Moorcroft in particular are rogue - they came to my flat chasing a water debt, my learning disabled daughter was at home on her own, they threatened her, put their foot in the door. They put cards through my neighbours doors giving my name, reference number, creditor and amount, total breach of data protection act! Thankfully I have drummed it into my daughter that no-one comes in whilst I'm not here, she must call the police straight away which she did. The collector legged it but we got his numberplate from a beedy eye neighbour. I called the company and basically they couldn't give a damn despite me quoting legislation at them.Also that I don't appreciate them calling on a Sunday. They told me that I had to pay them and not the Water company - guess who paid the water company direct.

My household is classed as vulnerable, both being disabled and on benefits but that means nothing. Drakes Bailiffs are also less than scrupulous, they work for my local council. Thankfully no-one can take my car as it's a motability and I have very little worth anything. Also I had paid the council tax owing previously but they had not been updated, had to call the council there and then for them to tell the bailiff that nothing was owing.

It's my understanding that only court bailiffs can remove/levy goods unless laws have changed.

Would it be possible to recover monies wrongly taken by a bailiff some years ago ?

A car registered to my (very mentally ill) partner was taken at 2 a.m. and sold (value several thousands) for one parking tickets worth of debt (inflated of course).

Because my partner became increasingly mentally ill (as severe as it can get) she couldn't 'cope' with allowing me to organise legal action to recover her cars value & I have been so battered by various events I haven't been able to pursue it either.

But now I'm making a comeback & want to fight all those human vermin that have ripped me & my partner off for years.

How many years ago?

You have 6 years from the date of payment to recover wrongly imnposed fees, so anything before November 2005 will now be Statute Barred, and anything after that may be recoverable if you act quickly. others will know more

Edited by brassnecked
extra info

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Serves him right, especially if the tenant goes for it with a Form 4, or sues the council, or whoever for the damage caused by their agent the bailiff. Bedsits are in law a House of Multiple Occupation, and yes the door to the room id the "Front Door" for the purposes of entry, even though the letterbox at the entrance may be communal.

Another area of doubt is where there is an entryphone system, and a bailiff cajoles a neighbour to open the outer door..

Actually, I recently found out that if it's a privately rented bedsit, the only person other than the debtor who has the authority to allow a bailiff past the front door of the property is the landlord. From what I understand, none of the other tenants in the property have the right to allow the bailiff in. I wonder if this means the landlord can also sue the bailiff for trespass as well as the damages he caused?

This would cover the entryphone system too unless the council actually own the property and the bailiff is acting on their behalf. In which case, the landlord (the council) have already given the bailiff permission to enter. However, most entryphones have a separate trade button so the postman/dustmen etc can enter between certain hours, bailiffs would simply use that to gain entry to the communal areas.

Unless the laws have changed recently, the only people with the right to force entry are the Police and the Customs and Excise. Bailiffs as far as I know still cannot do it unless they have already been invited in by the debtor on a previous visit.

Edited by Tryst

We are indeed Caro,

We all know the Industry is littered with Mr Boast's but to say there had never been one complaint against him is hog wash as he has cropped up on here more than once, was that CEO really saying she has never dropped in on Cag to witness the agonies caused by her Bailiff? surely if she is working with the MOJ she should be "lilly white"?

I think the fact he was supposedly "training" another would be bailiff, is testimony to the fact the Industry breeds corruption.

JBW ......what utter rubbish they spout....do they really think their bailiffs wear halo's ?

I thought John Kruse should have played a bigger role...that man has in depth knowledge and could rip apart all the bullsh*t by the CEO with ease......by the way his new book is brilliant and I can highly recommend it...and all his others.

WD

Very pleased that you like the book so much. If you have the time, it owuld be helpful if you would review it on the Amazon website.

Ta

I was expecting to see much worse, the stories on here are nearly all much worse. Yes he was a silly old man with delusions of his own importance, racist and with a very limited vocabulary. He did talk a lot of nonsense about all the things he could do.

I don't think that the programme made it clear that virtually all bailiffs try to claim these extortionate and illegal fees, it is the norm, and that neither the Council who employs them or the police have any interest in dealing with this fraud. We did not see a bailiff illegally forcing his way into someone's home and we did not see a bailiff assaulting anyone. If you were the average person in the street you would not know after watching this programme how on a daily basis people are intimidated and terrorised in their own homes by bailiffs

Wasn't the woman from Rossendales weird, is she always like that or was it because it was Halloween? Don't the Government check anything before they have an advisor like her? scary!

I think they got away quite lightly, we will have to try harder!

Last night's programme was just "television" -- highly anticipated but disappointingly diluted. I would have preferred to have seen John Kruse in more assertive mode, he was way too passive. The programme merely showed the output of bailiffs, the real psychological and financial impact that bailiff's actions have on people's lives are quite frankly devastating and usually long-term. The majority of real cases here on CAG are far more emotive and gut-renching than last night's programme which was really just the tip of the iceberg and incredibly tame.

By mainly focussing on just one "rogue" bailiff, the widespread unlawful and, at times, illegal behaviour of bailiffs (as evidenced on CAG) was almost totally ignored.

Yes, it was a positive that the programme was shown but a real opportunity to "shock" was missed. Hopefully, as a result of the programme, lots more people will find CAG and benefit from its advice and support.

We should all fully support the campaigning work of CAG.

Impecunious! :-)

P.S. I was one of those ******** from Twickenham

I think the programme makers purposely diluted the programme SO IT COULD be broadcast, as it would have been possible for Rossers and JBW to have gone for an injunction to stop or at least delay broadcast, as they would contend that doubt about the "Enforcement Industry" now there is an oxymoron as since when has aggravated debt collection been been industry? what does it produce? Ah yes broken lives...

Mr Boast's 'tache' was heroic enough to gain him employment now he ain't a bailiff (at least with Rossers but who knows he may crop up again with another company) in a Village People tribute Band.

It didn't go far enough but was better than nothing, John Kruse i think also understated the problem, but we don't know what he said in raw footage before his contribution was edited for the programme, so he may have given more robust comments but they could have been edited out.

Edited by brassnecked

How can i buy this new book without using paypal cant remember how i bought my last book from here but it defiantly wasn't through paypal

Hallow

I had pre ordered my copy with Wildes and paid by card, as I did not know the book was going to be available through cag. It is well worth having as it compllments his book "Bailiff Law, Rights of Debtors and Remedies"..............our household bible.

WD

It was rubbish from start to finish!...

Why didn't we see him at a 6'6 20st nightclub bouncers house demanding money of course he wouldn't cos he would have been bounced down the garden path like a basket ball speaking the way he did! The bailiff was a bully nothing more nothing less and watching him justify himself at the end was laughable!...

how on earth does a man behave in that manor and not get a single complaint in 3yrs?

What a load of cobblers!

Bring back world in action!....

What was that womans name? Ya know the one who acted so upset when she found out that her beloved bailiff was a rogue, you know the one I mean, good actress.

If she is gullible to think that that is the worse her bailiffs do then she needs to get off her clouds of fantasy and come live in the real world.

She knows this forum exists and I am sure she has read them. If she dosnt then I suggest we send her a copy of all the threads where Rossers are involved. If she was sickened by that Mr Boast's conduct how is she going to feel when she reads more of the same thing and much worse.

Come on lady, step up and admit that your bailiffs DONT stick to the rules and play nicely. I would certainly like to meet her and show her letters and photos of not only damaged property but photos of injuries that her bailiffs have done to people, especially one of a 62 year old women. I wonder how sick she would feel then. I am sure if that happened to her mother or aunt etc she would do more than just sack the bailiff.

Mr Boast should of been reported by her so that he wont be able to work in any other bailiff company. Lets hope a judge has seen this programme and prevents him from ever retaining another certificate. I have to say that his actions were mild compared to many rogue bailiffs.

Good programme.. We need more!!!!

Very dissappointed with the program. Couldn't they have got a few 'debtors' to tell their stories? By simply referring back to this site made the argument very weak.

Also, aren't the program makers aware that John Kruse now works alongside Jamie Waller so he can hardly be called independent.

Should have got Anne Marie from MoJ to explain their pathetic attempts to clean up the industry.

5 years since Panorama and Mr Boast (great name) joined the industry after this date so evidence that certain companies haven't go their act together. And how was this bailiff able to fiddle his calls? Don't they have tracking these days and audit controls?

I watched with interest, and I expected a little more but like seanamarts I thaught the lady was a good actress , I think she deserved an oscar for her performance especially with the line where she told the interviewer she felt physacally sick by his actions, in my opinion he voice spoke the words but her eyes and tone said lip service, my opinion. and as for that Mr Boast I hope not only did he lose his job but licence too so he could never ever inflict his odious, racist absusive cheating behaviour on anyone else.