Reading Borough Council traps thousands ub Bus Lane [problem]

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In order to plug the black hole in its finances, RBC has publicly stated that it will recoup the shortfall by targeting motorists, and appears to be placing revenue collection above the free flow of traffic and the legitimate access by private motorist to some of the roads which they have paid for.

One bus lane alone, Minster Street, in the centre of the town, which, as this street attracts very little traffic is largely unnecessary, has brought in over £500,000 in fines since May this year, and another, the A4 heading East has a whole lane reserved for a handful of buses an hour.

In September 2010 the Bus Lane Adjudicator's report pointed out that Reading Borough Council had issued more PCNs for bus lane infringements than Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Bristol, the whole of Essex, and Nottingham combined.

There have been hundreds of complaints about all aspects of the process, the legality of the signs, the necessity of the restriction, the wording on the PCNs, the lack of road markings and adequate signage, the quality of the photographic evidence, the legality of the cameras, etc., etc., etc. There were even cases of PCNs being issued before the restriction signs were in place, and a long queue is forming at the door of the adjudicator.

If Reading loses on a technicality, and I am sure that it will, it could cost them hundreds of thousands of pounds to repay all of those who have been wrongfully penalised. As a Reading Council Tax payer I would take a very dim view of this, and might seek to have councillors responsible surcharged.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

One bus lane alone, Minster Street, in the centre of the town, which, as this street attracts very little traffic is largely unnecessary, has brought in over £500,000 in fines since May this year, and another, the A4 heading East has a whole lane reserved for a handful of buses an hour.

Isn't that a contradiction if 8500 people have been caught it must attract a few cars! Its not actually a bus lane its a route that only buses and taxis can use and is there to cut the traffic flow through the town centre as part of an £850 million upgrade to the station as far as I'm aware?

• 1 year later...

My wife received a pcn for driving in a bus lane on Minster street. She saw no signs, no road markings, absolutely nothing to say it was a bus lane. In fact it was more the case that she was directed down there by the signs when looking for the shopping centre car park. A very quiet street she was driving the only vehicle on it. Not a bus in sight.

It seems to me that this is purely a money making exercise. She was in nobody's way.

This needs investigating. Cllr Tony Page (on BBC Breakfast this morning is the modern day Boss Hogg (for those who remember the dukes of hazard).

My wife received a pcn for driving in a bus lane on Minster street. She saw no signs, no road markings, absolutely nothing to say it was a bus lane. In fact it was more the case that she was directed down there by the signs when looking for the shopping centre car park. A very quiet street she was driving the only vehicle on it. Not a bus in sight.

It seems to me that this is purely a money making exercise. She was in nobody's way.

This needs investigating. Cllr Tony Page (on BBC Breakfast this morning is the modern day Boss Hogg (for those who remember the dukes of hazard).

Do you mean Gun Street? If so and according to street view, I would say you are right, the bus lane is not compliant. For a start, the signs are on the wrong side of the road and the second sign mentions wheel chairs which I don't think is a permitted variant.

Very appeal-able IMO.

P.S. This thread is 18 months old!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

What is this thread doing in the private parking section?

Any suggestions as to where it should be ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks g&m

:)

BCOBS