Benefit Fraud - Housing Benefit

spookman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HOUSING BENEFIT FRAUD INVESTIGATION

Just received a letter today to go to a taped interview with an investigation officer with Sefton Council (Merseyside).

The reason(s) for this i think are.....When I moved out on May 1st 2011 Sefton Council paid my HB/CT upto the end of August, as my new Council Liverpool City Council never told them to stop and I assumed they would........I got a letter for an overpayment of about £58.00 for this period, although my land lord got one for about £1000....

The interview is not for a few weeks as i'm In hospital for surgery the day they originally requested so i requested they give me two weeks to get over that.... I told the landlords agent I was moving out as it became a flat from hell...I started a fresh claim at my new address in Liverpool on 1st May 2011 Which Liverpool city council started paying my HB/CT....I am in receipt of Full Long-term Incapacity Benefit

The letter says "Bring a friend or Legal Representative"

I'm Taking A Dictaphone (so i can share this on here!!!!) and All Your Reply's So CAG is My Friend

Some Answers before we start

1 I never knew Sefton was still paying until a bank statement came IN AUGUST and i noticed 3 LHA payments over 3 months of about £18.45 this was in august....

2 When I saw this i cancelled the HB/CT and told them I had just Moved Out In August And Left It at That...

Right What are the possible Outcomes

BUT BOTH THE COUNCILS SHARE INFORMATION ABOUT HB/CT ARREARS AS THEY TRACKED ME DOWN FOR A PREVIOUS CT BILL SO A SHOULD HAVE TOLD B TO STOP PAYING HB/CT !!! OR SHOULD THEY

WHAT WILL THE OFFICER DO/SAY TO ME AND WHAT SHOULD I REPLY

BUT BOTH THE COUNCILS SHARE INFORMATION ABOUT HB/CT ARREARS AS THEY TRACKED ME DOWN FOR A PREVIOUS CT BILL SO A SHOULD HAVE TOLD B TO STOP PAYING HB/CT

It's your responsibility to inform the council of changes in circumstances. It does tell you that on your award letter.

Nystagmite is correct. It is your responsibility to notify both councils when you move.

This is the declaration you will have signed when claiming HB from Liverpool Council. All councils will include something similar on their claim forms.

Change in Circumstances

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit you must tell us of any changes in your

circumstances as soon as the changes occur. It is your responsibility to keep us informed of any

circumstance which may affect your claim.

Do not rely on other departments such as Tax Credits or the Job Centre Plus telling us of any changes you have reported to them. It is your responsibility to keep us informed of any circumstances which may affect your claim.

Please note if you get benefit by providing incorrect details or by not notifying us of a change in your circumstances you could be prosecuted.

when you are claiming housing benefit, it is your responsibility to notify the council of changes that would have affected your benefit

you had a duty to notify sefton that you had moved but you didn't - that has resulted in the overpayments

it appears you may have made things worse for yourself because when you realised you had been overpaid, it sounds like you provided false information to sefton about when you moved

this false statement is likely to be the reason that the matter has been referred to the fraud department

the best advice i would offer is that you come clean and be honest with them and also provide any mitigating reasons for making the false statement about your moving date

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

OP you must calm down and show no attitude other than sorry. Much better to realise you have made a mistake which is your fault due to clear notes on all forms we sign and move on from it by organising repayments asap. As for interview again say sorry and hope they are happy with admin penalty.