GE Money Mortgage Shortfall

The Brain Drained
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

I would really appreciate some advice or observations.

In October 2008 my house was repossessed by GE Money. To cut a long story short I had to relocate because of work and tried to rent out the house.

I told GE of my plan and they refused unless I took out a very expensive (for me) but lucrative (for them) buy to let mortgage. Suffice to say that I could not afford this and their refusal to compromise ensured I defaulted because I could not afford to pay a mortgage & the rent of a house in the area I had moved to.

Since the repossession that I didn't contest (quite frankly I was tired of banging my head against an immovable brick wall) I have heard nothing until a couple of weeks. I have now received 2 letters from a company called Capital Recoveries (a trading name of Debt Management Services (DMS) Ltd) saying I owe them £37,000 this sum being the apparent mortgage shortfall.

I have had no communications from GE since 2008. There is no breakdown of this sum and a rudimentary search of some property websites (Zoopla etc) can't even confirm when the property was sold. I am reluctant to respond to these letters without further information but I am unsure what my options are. Incidentally I tiried to search for Capital Recoveries & DMS on the Consumer Credit Act license search page via the OFT website. My searches came back negative.

All advice and observations would be truly welcome.

Thanks guys.

Hi there, you are entitled to a breakdown of how the amount they are chasing has been calculated. Under the CML Rules for possession the lender is required to act in a way which is not detrimental to the debtor. I have affixed a copy of these rules. You need to write a letter requesting the information - send by recorded delivery. If you need help with a letter let me know and I'll let you have a template.

CML rules on possession.doc

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell-enn,

Thanks for your response & yes I would appreciate it if you could let me have the template letter. Putting the breakdown of the debt to one side I am concerned that my ex-lender (GE Money) have made no attempt to contact me and have merely passed this debt on to a debt collector. Can they do this? Does this not contradict OFT guidance on debt collection agencies? As I said I also cannot find this company on the CCA register.

If there is a genuine debt here I am prepared to negotiate a payment schedule despite the fact that I was treated appallingly by GE throughout the months leading up to repossession.

• 1 month later...

Hi- Do not despair as you are not alone in this matter i have encountered the same problem with the same companies involved-my house was also repossesed in jan 2008 by the same company and i also had tried to rent it out as i had to relocate and they would not allow me too either i went for voluntary repossesion. i have heard nothing since until i received two letters from capital recoveries, however i am not fased by this i have printed off the template letter and i shall enclose that with a letter asking them IF and HOW they comlied with the legislation laid out in the attached letter and also a break down -i shall be asking for a detailed breakdown of how they complied with the letter-i do not intend to pay this debt regardless and they cans swivel for it- i know tha they sold my house for 30k less than what it was worth-will post my reply from them

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your encouraging response. To be honest I am still at the moment disinclined to enter into any dialogue with this company. Since the reposession I have had no contact whatsoever from GE but I suppose my case is further complicated by the fact that I am not even in the UK so communication is difficult. As I understand it GE should have made first contact before appointing a DCA.

This may be a silly question but how do I get the template? I'm something of a technophobe unfortunately!

• 1 month later...

I'm in a similar situation myself, i took a secured loan out with GE money in 2007 for home improvements, things went badly wrong and the house was repossesed in 2008. I heard nothing until june last year and since then have been hounded by DMS ( capital recoveries ). I have asked them time and again for statements to show what the property was sold for but they have not been forthcoming. I wonder if these people are just chancers? they have been searching my credit file regularly as well which is annoying me. :???:If there is money outstanding and they have a valid case, why don't they just CCJ me?....anyone else going through this? anyone been taken to court by them?