Whatever happens currys (need advice)

Bulldogs1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There!

My husband bought me a laptop from Currys that would be 2 years old this coming christmas!

he was advised to take out the whatever happens insurance in case of accident or breakdown!

on the 14th of this month we were having a barbecue in the garden and i was using the laptop on our garden table,

i stood up to get something and leaned on the table when it tipped up and my laptop landed in our pond....i was so upset!

my husband told me not to worry as we have the insurance.

Well we phoned them and they picked the laptop up on a Monday i was told i would have it back by the following Monday!

a seven day turn around they said!

the guy that picked it up said they would be able to fix it! i was really impressed.

My husband phoned today to see what was happening!

he was told the laptop was under investigation and they think it was down to neglect

and we would be getting the laptop back with an engineers report attached saying it cant be fixed and they cant replace due to neglect.

I am devastated, we live from day to day!

my husband worked very hard to save up for that laptop!

what was the point in paying all that insurance?

what can we do?

The salesman convinced my husband to have this insurance saying it would cover us for any mishaps!

I feel so let down!

We cant afford to buy another laptop!

and this was a genuine accident!

Is there anything we do about this? I would really appreciate your advice. :mad2::-x

sadly you've fallen for the crap that sales people should not be stating.

there was a very good piece on them on watchdog last week.

they really really need to stop spoofing people

that 'whatever happens ACTUALLY DOES

cover 'whatever happens'

you could write to the CEO

those details are in many emails in the curry/pcworld forum

where i have moved your thread too

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Bull

You need to get hold of the 'Terms and Conditions' no doubt it will say that you are covered. Write a Formal Letter of Complaint , mark it as such, explain whats happened, with as much detail as possible, explain whats been said to you, explain what you want them to do, give them a deadline.

Send it to:-

John Browett, Chief Executive

[email protected]

cover 'whatever happens'

dx

Thank you i was not sure where to post!

Yes i dont understand how these salesman are allowed to push people in to purchasing whatever happens! because whatever happens dont happen! Thank you for your input its much appreciated, i will keep you updated to how i get on :mad2:

Thank you Rebel.

I have attached to my receipt Whatever happens club pay monthly agreement is that what you mean? i will definitely write to the person you have mentioned, and let you know how i get on! many thanks for your help its much appreciated.

Bull

Hi All

Just wanted to give you an update on my laptop!

I have not received it back yet so i rang them this morning as i am still awaiting their report before writing to John Browet

the lady told me over the phone the reason they wont replace my laptop is because

1) the table with the laptop on should not have been so close to our pond.

2) the laptop was all rusty inside and we had made no attempt to dry it out.

My husband did try to dry it out a bit with the hairdryer.

But we couldnt take it apart because that would void the insurance.

I feel so angry......what the hell did we pay all that insurance for????

She said if i want to appeal to write to the investigation team, i am going to write to them and John Browet.

Do you think i have any chance of getting a replacement?

if not i have decided to sell some of my beloved Jewellery so i can buy another laptop

Many thanks for your time and help.

Bull

1. yep cant argue with that.

2. nothing you could have done about that !

pers

unless you have the terms and conditions to check against

i dont expect they will replace it.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Dx

It says on my agreement

What are the benefits of my Whatever Happens Club Support Agreement

1 Protection against mechanical breakdown

2 Protection against breakdown caused by mishaps!

Well this was a mishap as far as I'm concerned and the salesman said we were covered for any accident.

Thanks Bull

2. nothing you could have done about that !

pers

unless you have the terms and conditions to check against

i dont expect they will replace it.

dx

cover 'whatever happens'

dx

It's not just the staff that say that... Read this and it clearly states

WHATEVER HAPPENS™ is a comprehensive after-care service for products over £150.

It does exactly what it says and protects the product you have bought; everything from a minor hiccup to a major mishap.

Keep pushing Bulldogs1. (although your name sounds like you won't give up anytime soon :))

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

agrred after reading that

go get 'em

if you've not watched that watchdog bit on them a few weeks ago

do so

very interesting!

dx

and they

Not seen the watchdog programme but will definitely take a look DX! I will keep you updated how i get on!

And Locutus i'm like a dog with a bone! and according to my hubby i look just like our bulldog! like a bulldog chewing a wasp :roll:

Thanks guys you have really cheered me up i feel more positive now about getting my laptop changed :whoo:

Hi There

I am writing to Gary Perryment at the investigation claims team! Does anyone know the proper address for him? only i have spoken to the watever happens people 3 times! once i have been told the address is 3 rd floor East wing, Dixon House, Maylands Avenue, PO box 53 Hemel Hempstead HP2 7BR and twice i have been told there is no PO box 53 in the address! I am so confused and dont want to ring them anymore im afraid i might lose control:mad2:

I have looked online and there are different addresses:???:

you should have had a letter with the correct address on

it would have been topped with a large black band top and bottom with the knowhow logos

im sorry i cant help more

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

from an insider point of view...

i cant say much without getting in trouble

generally the rules we get given is any deep imersion (pond, bath etc) must be sent to referals who then make a decision based off previous history

if you do appeal try and make the point that as the table was a secure table (wasnt wobbly etc) then it didnt matter how close it was to the pond as this sort of accient wasnt an easly forceable event, ive not seen any appeals on that basis yet so i dont know how it would go but i have seen alot of other appeals and i would say that ive only seen 1 in maybe the last 25 or so be succesful

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

from an insider point of view...

i cant say much without getting in trouble

generally the rules we get given is any deep imersion (pond, bath etc) must be sent to referals who then make a decision based off previous history

if you do appeal try and make the point that as the table was a secure table (wasnt wobbly etc) then it didnt matter how close it was to the pond as this sort of accient wasnt an easly forceable event, ive not seen any appeals on that basis yet so i dont know how it would go but i have seen alot of other appeals and i would say that ive only seen 1 in maybe the last 25 or so be succesful

Hi Labrat

I have attached a letter of complaint and sent it to John Browett by email. I am sending a letter to Gary Perryment at the Claims Investigation Team by registered post tomorrow and have also sent a copy of that letter by email to John Browett.

But after looking on the internet tonight at all the complaints and negative reviews The Whatever Happens Club and Curry's has, i doubt very much i will even get a reply! But i am not going down without a fight! my husband said if we have to we will look in to taking them to the small claims court! I will contact watchdog and the newspapers if i have to! Not only have i lost my laptop but all the money we spent paying for the Whatever Happens Club insurance was wasted to! because you think you are covered but your not! i dont know how they can keep getting away with this!

One of the reasons they said they could not replace my laptop was because of neglect i.e. we made no attemt to dry the laptop and it was all rusted inside! my husband did his best to dry it! And it would be rusted inside considering the laptop fell in the pond on the 14th of September we notified them straight away, but they didnt pick it up until the 19th of September! the whole thing is a joke.

Thank you for your advice

Bull

Edited by Bulldogs1

you should have had a letter with the correct address on

it would have been topped with a large black band top and bottom with the knowhow logos

im sorry i cant help more

Hi Labrat

I am waiting for my laptop to come back with the report from the investigation team so dont have the letter with the address yet! i was told over the phone what was in the report. No one seems to have a clue when my laptop will be returned to me lol

Hi Again i need more advce!

I just had a phone call from an independent company that currys have hired to investigate my laptop incident! he wants me to send him pictures by email of of our pond and table showing where it was situated when the laptop fell in! i am quite happy to do this but want to know should i do this? will it help my case or work against me i just dont know how these things work.

Thanks Bull

cant see why it wont help

as long as you are not showing as said before that it was an old table

or the laptop was placed just waiting to be knocked in the pond

as long as it shows you took all resonable steps

you cannot be expected to cater for a genuine accident.

dx

and they

good news

well done

dx

and they

Excelent result :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

good result ill add it to the small list of approved appeals

Please note:

The Consumer Action Group needs help to cover itsexpenses.

You could help by making a money contribution to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/paypal.php?go=donate

dx

and they