Trying to get refund of campsite fees

diana1000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, please can you help/give advice, I booked and paid for a campsite for my motorvan for 5 nights. on arrival we found that the adjacent road noise intollerable, we told the owner who said it was not usually that noisy, (it is next to a busy dual carriageway) we chose it as it is promoted as being a peacefull site in a village! we tried to sleep the first night and could only get a couple of hours sleep, so got up the next morning early, tried to have a shower and found the water too hot and there was no means of turning the temperature down, we sought out the owner and told him of our complaints and that we would have to leave straighaway as we were feeling quite ill with the traffic noise and could not even sit and relax or sleep. he just said no refunds! we paid £100 for 5 nights, so are out £80 for the 4 nights we could not stay. We arrived at the site at around 3.00pm and left at around 9.00am the next morning so not even 24 hours. It was that bad.! I have emailed the owner on return and repeated our greviences and he just replied that he told us no refunds as per his terms and conditions. We were not given any paperwork when we paid so do not have anything that states what those terms were. There was a notice in the toilet block about no refunds, but of course you cannot read that untill you have paid in full and are actually on site. I am thinking of going to the small claims court, any ideas anyone?

thanks

At the small claims court there would have to be some kind of contractual agreement, one that stands out is that he said it was pecaeful you calim it wasnt, unortuntaly this was all verbal and it would be upto you to prove it wasnt.

However there isnt that much to lose by starting a claim, you may find it is more hassle than its worth to defend it so he pays up or simply ignores it and you get judgement in deafult, or perhaps you could agree an inbetween amount ?

Is there a website or any bumpf that claims it is quiet/pecaeful and have you any evidnce that it isnt ?

Andy

Hi andydd, on their website it says

We promote a peaceful and relaxing retreat for our customers

and the proof that it isnt is that it is right next to a very busy dual carriageway, which we did not realise as we booked over the phone and had not seen their website. I have since found some reviews stating the road noise was bad, but of course there are some reviews that say it was not that bad, I guess it depends on what time of year you are there as the hedge between the cansite and the road was dropping its leaves and it made the nosie worse, the owner did apologise to me about the road noise when I told him how bad I thought it was and he said it was not usually as bad as that, although he also said friday nights were worse and this was on thursday night!. I know it is a matter of my view against his, but I had such a migrane because I could not sleep with the noise, I could not possible have stayed there a moment longer, and i have stayed on many camsites. Also the thing about the temperature control on the showers, there was no contrill and I cannot stand hot water so could not even use the showers.

You need to take some screen-shots of their website and reviews as evidence.

You should then send a letter before action detailing your grievances & invite him to make an offer of reimbursement within 14 days otherwise you will apply for a judgement against him. Enclose a copy of the screen-shots too. ;)