• Tweets

• Appears to me that the school will evidence that there was a contract in place as you paid for several years of schooling.  There is then a period when you were unable to pay the school fees and the argument is about the performance of the contract. Because the school could not provide the education services in the normal way, they will have provided adapted service, with remote teaching being provided using online video and electronically providing course work.          
    • I must say that I don't really understand what is going on with Packlink. They used to be based in the UK – then they folded up here and became based in Spain. This put them out of reach. There are often very difficult to deal with – but recently we've had two or three people who have dealt directly with Packlink and the full claim has been paid up. That looks as if what is meant to be happening here – except as you have pointed out, they've made you promises that they haven't followed up with the filthy lucre. I think it might be an idea to send them another email – with a copy to Hermes – telling them that you have received their promise but you haven't received any money and that if you aren't paid in the next seven days then you will commence the business of suing Hermes as they are in the UK and within reach of a legal action. Let us know what happens. In the meantime – get reading the Hermes stories on this sub- forum.  
    • Shares in Meituan slumped after its boss reportedly shared, then deleted, a Tang dynasty poem. View the full article
    • First of all I've edited your post quite substantially. This is been done to make it more relevant – but also to make it more accessible. It is unhelpful to us and to other people who read this thread to find solid blocks of text that we have to negotiate. At the end of your post you ask if you need to get yourself a lawyer. If you did manage to find a lawyer who is prepared to help you with this, it would properly cost you at least £300 an hour. I'm quite certain that you would present your story to them in an accessible way in order to cut down costs because they would be charging you for every five minutes they spent. Everything here is free – and so as already said, it's not helpful to oblige us to spend extra time restructuring your posts. I understand that you declared the value of £500 but eventually you went on to bring a County Court claim for £1200. I'm afraid that you won't be able to recover £1200. It is clear the contract was for the delivery of an item which you valued at £500 when you arranged the delivery. Unfortunately you have helped yourself because you have incurred County Court costs based on a £1200 claim and the maximum you will be able to recover in terms of costs will be a pro rata figure based on a £500 claim. You said that you expected Hermes to act in good faith. Why? I think it is worth standing your ground and telling Hermes that you are prepared to go all the way to court – but at the same time I think you had better tell the mediator that you are prepared to give up your claim of £1200 and to fall back on the contracted figure of £500. This might give some Face to Hermes as they will think that they have managed to secure some kind of compromise by forcing you to reduce the amount of money you are after. The truth is that you wouldn't be able to get £1200 anyway so you aren't losing anything by agreeing to accept £500. However you should certainly insist that Hermes pays your costs – but be aware that you will only be able to get your costs on a £500 scale and not £1200. You can also tell Hermes that you want interest at 8% from the date they lost the parcel. However this will be 8% on £500 and frankly it is unlikely to be very much. You haven't told us when they actually lost the parcel. Once again, the interest might be something that you would be prepared to give up in order to get your £500 plus costs. I think that will be your best position. I hope you won't mind me saying but that the way that you have conducted this claim so far probably has brought comfort to Hermes because they understand that you are not particularly sure of your ground and this will make them feel more confident. For this reason I think your best interests would be to disengage from this action as quickly as you can – but not for less than £500 plus costs on that scale. Back to the question you asked at the end – if it goes to court then should you get a lawyer? It is most unlikely that you will be able to find a lawyer who is prepared to take this on. It's too trivial and it wouldn't pay them enough. The small claims rules mean that even if you won your case, you would not get your legal costs back and as I've already suggested, you would probably be paying something like about £300 per hour. I can imagine that if you found a lawyer to take it on – and even if that lawyer lost the case for you you would be looking at a bill of £1500 at least. If you won the case, then you would get your £500 and you would still have to pay the lawyers fees. I wish you very good luck. I think you are in a good position if you are prepared to accept £500. However, do be aware that Hermes might quite recently ask you for proof of the value of your loss – and you better be ready with all the bills or other evidence. Please keep us updated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 33 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

• Recommended Topics

Barclaycard PPI claim-Interest questions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3517 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I've had a refund from barclaycard for ppi on my credit card. This consists of :-

Total ppi premium refund- 977.90

Total Compound int- 98.81

Total int 8%- 69.39

final settlement- 1146.10

I'm unsure if the total compound interest refunded is correct, as I can't write all payments etc, but for example on march 2008 premium was £23.95 apr 19.9% monthly int 1.527% cumulative ppi £209.43 compound int £2.09. Does anyone know if this looks correct?? I'm not very good at things like this.

Thanks in advance

Hi Hookes and welcome to CAG

I'll move your thread into the PPI forum where I hope you'll get the advice you need.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi, I've had a refund from barclaycard for ppi on my credit card. This consists of :-

Total ppi premium refund- 977.90

Total Compound int- 98.81

Total int 8%- 69.39

final settlement- 1146.10

I'm unsure if the total compound interest refunded is correct, as I can't write all payments etc, but for example on march 2008 premium was £23.95 apr 19.9% monthly int 1.527% cumulative ppi £209.43 compound int £2.09. Does anyone know if this looks correct?? I'm not very good at things like this.

Thanks in advance

Hi Hookes

Something screwy with the figures

Premium of £23.95 at 1st March 08 comes in at £21.67 compound + £6.83 stat

Did you use one of the online calculators or did you leave Barclays to do the math?

Gez

No this is from the schedule of charges I've received from barclaycard today. At the time I did say I wouldn't accept offer, but then they said they wouldn't change it. Now I have to go to the fos. I thought their figures didn't look right, for months I've been paying on average £24 premiums, so feel I should get more than the £98.81 total compound back.

Hi Hookes

Not to worry, I pointed you to the wrong post anyway [oops]. Click on the link, scroll down to the 12th entry on the thread [#12 in the grey header to the right hand side], there's a post by dx100uk with an excel spreadsheet attached. Left click on the .xls attachment and click on save.

Gez

Hi,

I have looked at that spreadsheet, however the Apr does change a bit on their schedule. But from what I have put in already, I feel their calculatons are incorrect. I have attached a schedule to show you their calcs. (not sure if you can see it??)

hookes.pdf

Hi Hookes

Not sure what they've been up to with the figures but they don't add up

For example........ take the last 'static' interest rate applied premium [£24.92] 11.09.08 at 9.9% - this equates to compound int of 8.26 + stat int of 6.07, nowhere near their figures?

I'd be inclined to complete the spreadsheet including their varying int rates [it'll mean a few additional rows of data] and present it to them requesting an explanation of their calculations. If they still won't budge on the figures bundle it all up for the FOS to deal with.

Gez

Hi

first things first.....have you got all of your card statements?

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

Hi Hookes

So long as you can reconcile the interest rates and premiums against their statement and are happy with that side of things I'd go for presenting the correct calculations.

Me thinks they are trying to pull a fast one..........

Gez

Hi

I've attached a compound interest spreadsheet you can use to calculate the premiums plus interest. Amend the personal information in the blue section and change the APR figure to the one being charged on your card. If the rate changed, work out the average of the rate they were charging you and use that.

Move to the white list section underneath the coloured bits. Go through your statements and enter each PPI payment giving the date of the payment, a description and the amount. The sheet will do the rest for you. Leave the "claim to" date as it is on the spreadsheet.

Please note that the spreadsheet is protected to prevent alteration to formulae. If you get a protection message it means you are trying to alter a protected cell.

I suspect you will find their figures are way under.

ims

CISheet.xls

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

Hi, i may be writing this in the wrong thread, just thought I'd ask if the ppi refund I received from tesco bank looked correct.

I took out the loan in Feb 2004

Main loan £10,500.00

Ins loan £1,430.00

Credit £11,930.00

Total chg for credit- £1905.34

Total amount payable - £13,835.34

Repayments - 54 repayments £256.21

Comprising

Main loan repayment £225.49

Ins loan repayment £30.72

I settled the loan in July 2006 £6553.98

I have been refunded

Refund all premiums -£829.44

Rebate shortfall-£494.31

8%interest - £620.60

Total refund -£1944.35

I would be grateful if you double check these figures.

Many thanks

Hi

Have a read of No1 in my signature and then downlaod the spreadsheets in the last post and you should be able to calculate what the case should be and then compare to what they have refunded you.

regards

ims

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions