• Tweets

• Right.    The law says that when you are asked to provide the driver's details you have to use "reasonable diligence" to find out who it was. The diligence you are required to use only begins once the request is made (this is covered in the case of Atkinson vs DPP). So it cannot be held against you if you did not obtain his details before you allowed him to drive the car.    I take it you provided the police simply with his name and address? If you are to defend this successfully you must convince the court that you did everything that was reasonably practical to identify him. But it seems you already know who it was. It just happens he seems to have disappeared.    You can understand the concern of the police. If it was so simple to just name somebody as the driver and you know that person, even if he was genuine, could not be traced, then everybody would do something similar. You have a simple choice to make: you can defend the charge against you on the basis that you have provided the details required, or you can plead guilty for failing to do so. It should not be in dispute that you provided the details; the matter for the court will be whether they believe they were genuine or not. If they do they should acquit you. It is not your responsibility to trace people who are accused of offences but who have since disappeared.   Personally I don't rate your chances of success too highly. You only know him as a "friend of a friend". At the very least you should have checked that he was insured to drive your car. That is something a car owner definitely must do before allowing another person to drive their car. If you had done that (say, by seeing a certificate of insurance to prove the cover) you may have been able to take other details which would help you convince a court hat the person was genuine. As an aside, if the driver was traced and it turned out he was not insured you could be prosecuted for permitting  him to drive your car uninsured (an offence which carries six points).   The outcome if you are found guilty at trial will be a fine of a week and a half's net income, a victim surcharge of 10% of the fine, six penalty points but, most significantly, prosecution costs which will be in the region of £600. If you plead guilty to the offence the fine will be reduced to just one week's net income and the costs will be £85, but six points will still be imposed.   The speeding matter is a dead duck. You were not driving, you have told them you were not, they obviously have no proof that you were so you cannot be convicted of that offence.
    • @defender90 welcome to the forum and it's very interesting news that new say that you have evidence. Any chance that you might start your own thread and tell your story there. We may be able to offer you help – but more importantly, the more threads there are with the name and the business name et cetera in the title, the more likely that Google is going to pick it up and that may attract others. Would like very much to know what the evidence is that you have 
    • Bum deal on Covid tests   https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/01/27/bum-deal-chinese-health-authorities-begin-anal-covid-swabs/
    • Hi guys.   Ok - so since I was last here I have set up a new basic bank account, which my salary and priority dd's will come out of from March.   Just wanted an opinion on a couple of thoughts I've had -   1) I have just agreed with my mortgage provider a 3 month covid payment holiday, which will help for the short term - however, I have an overdraft is with this bank. Am I causing a problem if I contact them now about my financial situation, or should I leave it until the holiday ends?   2) My salary has recently come down, which is a contributing factor to my plight - However, my income over the last few months will not reflect this. On my budget sheet, I have put in the new ongoing i and e.  Is my bank likely to turn down my request of freezing interest etc. on this basis? They can see what has been coming in and going out. I'm concerned they'll think I've been creative with my income sheet?! Or can I simply refer to this new situation in the pro-rata letters?   Thanks again.   A  
    • Hello Taxhelper   Thanks again . Your so kind and Im very grateful.   I am about to submit the form in the next few hours. Before clicking the submit button there is a calculation page that has been generated by the site based on the info I provided ( income from PAYe and income from self employment etc...with all expenses deducted). their calcs are correct.   The figures are correct and I do owe them a sum as well as 1st payment on account for 20-21. I just am not sure I can pay the lot by 31/1/2021 because I did not anticipate that the hospital may not be able to pay me on time ( my jan pay). Thats because I did submit my 'timesheet' to the HR on time but they delayed processing it in time for it to be paid by the end of this month. They have said they have asked for an exceptional CHAPS payment to be made but I remain uncertain whether they will pay it into my account by then or not. thats why i wasnt sure if its best to call HMRC and give them the heads up or not.  
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4579 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all - I was just wondering if I can calim against studio cards gifts, which is a type of catalogue. They have charged me service charges and administration charges which started off at £12.75 and evenually went up o £20.00. Hope you can help.

Thanks Vampish. :)

If they are penalties for late payment, etc., then they are reclaimable. You need to find out what each type of charge was for.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

• 7 months later...
If they are penalties for late payment, etc., then they are reclaimable. You need to find out what each type of charge was for.

Hi I have just phoned STUDIO and they were horrid!!!!!!!!

I must have paid over £300 in Administration charges, PLEASE HELP

Hi Cjt

Welcome to the site. I would do everything in writing from now on. The replies you will get on the phone will only make your blood pressure go up considerably.

Please read the FAQ'S and then start a thread under the bank name so that others can reply to your questions quickly. There are some links below to help you get around.

Ukaviator

Some useful links.

FAQ's

Making Posts

Letter Template Library

Bank Contact Details

AQ Guide to Completion

Court Fees

Data Protection non Compliance

Witness Statements for Court Bundle

Banking Code Website

Limitations Act

Fast Track Costs

A-Z Index

Mis-Claim Tutorial

Step By Step Instructions

Remember: The Ark was built by amateurs-The Titanic by professionals.

Please click my scales if you find my advice helpful !

If your claim is successful, please donate 5% so that it can continue to help others.

Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

YOU CAN NOW COMPLAIN TO THE OFT ABOUT THEIR CONDUCT UNDER THE CONSUMER PROTECTION FROM UNFAIR TRADING REGULATIONS 2008.

• 11 months later...

Yep, it works Roboticboy - welcome to CAG :)

Have a look at this Dummies Guide - everything you need to know about posting etc.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Any queries, however silly they might sound, just give us a shout!

Bo :)

No problem. Have a read through the Frequently Asked Questions and stickies at the top of the Welcome Forum and then come and say hello properly by posting a new thread (really easy, just click on New Thread and post away :D)

If you need help urgently, just post up there's always someone about :)

hows this going with Studio cards.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Studio have still not sent me my list of charges, etc but the 40 day limit has not yet expired.

I just wish they were as good as Halifax Credit Cards. From requsting charges to taking them to court has only taken 2 weeks. I asked for £854 charges + £149 interest. They offered me £306 & a letter claiming the charges are "appropriate" - sorry.....not good enough....they'll cough up the lot withing about 2 weeks.

Are you persueing Studio Cards also?

Test Signature........

yes i am i will add the link in a minute

Studio Card have pee'd me off.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Received statements & told they'll refund £8.57 of the £10.00 i sent them for the charges list. They'll send this as a cheque. In a cover letter sent with the charge list they mention the fact that their terms are to charge for late payments, etc - wow - they are already on their back foot. Calculated £270.00 of Admin charges. Not bothering with the Service charges as they is conflicting info on this site about if I can claim them or not.

Test Signature........

rite look at my thread and u will see that the service charge is another word for Interest.

U can claim these back. What have u recieved as a CCA?

they will say the charges are legal but they are not if you dont have a cca.

Push them as much as you can as i am

I am also sneding them F+F of the money they claim i owe once the charges are removed and my conditions are met.

Shout me if u want any help.

consumer credit agreement.

No need to appologise. l did not know what it stood for a few months ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the link to the 1st letter asking for the money back? I have read through all your threads but cannot find it. They have sent me my "trading statements" so I have all the figures to hand but need a sample letter to put them into.

Should I also ask now for "my CCA" as I guess they'll question the refund of service charges & I just want to speed things up a bit.

Test Signature........

Just remember the service charge is interest.

Ask for your CCA now then we will see what u recieve as you cant got for anything unless u DONT have a CCA.

• 2 months later...

cool

I only recieved admin charges back and interest on the admin charges but nothing more.

because they will not pay them back either with or without court action.