Ex employer claiming I am in breach of contract.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hopefully someone will be able to give me further advise.

I left an my old job and moved to a company selling a competitive product. My CEO wasn't very happy - And even in a meeting with him to share my reason for going he was trying to trip me up to say I had used confidential information to get my new job!

I was put on Garden leave for a month and am only a few week in to my new job.

When at the weekend received a very threatening letter from my ex employers solicitors claiming I am in breach on contract because they believe I have contacted a clients' client! As I haven't been in my job long I haven't contacted anyone! The only think it might be is a linkedin connection which I may have made which unbeknown to me was a client of their clients.

I have sent a response saying that I have not done anything wrong, and asked them for proof.

Is there anything else I need to be doing?

My contact does place restrictive clauses for a period of 6 months I cant contact prospects who were negotiating with the employer or clients. It say nothing about client's clients.

Surely they can't impose that? How am I meant to know all the client's clients?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Hello there and welcome to CAG.

There are people here who know more than I do, but this sounds like a restriction of trade [i may not be quoting the exact term]. As I understand it, they don't often succeed, but it's something you could google while you're awaiting further replies.

But can you tell us what you actually did without naming names please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Shoegall,

Just a thought...

I might be tempted to send a letter to my ex employer asking for a comprehensive list of all "prospects who were negotiating with them or their clients" at the time you left.

This way you could avoid unknowingly contacting them for what remains of the six months.:-D

If they aren't forthcoming with such a list, they surely can't reasonably expect you to know the information, or hold you to the terms of such a vague clause in the contract.

Nick.

I have squandered my resistance for a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises.