Is this allowed?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

An aside to this.. Was told yesterday that my role is getting outsourced in 6-12 months time. I read into this as "6-12 months notice" ha.. Anyway yeah. That's an aside :-/.

The real issue is I was handed a self cert this morning that I forgot to fill in when I returned to work. They've changed it to what it was in previous years. It now wants every detail under the sun (doctor's name, address, what was prescribed, when you seen them) if you did go.

Then I noticed underneath that there was a line that said "I hereby consent to you verifying the above details." :jaw:

Uhhm.. I didn't think they were allowed to do that? Needless to say I left the whole area blank and had no come backs but just wondering what your thoughts were on it!

Thanks in advance.

Was just asked by my line manager to fill it in and I refused saying I didn't think it was entirely above aboard.

Any thoughts yet?

EDIT: I spoke to ACAS. They're not convinced either and have said I'm within my right not to fill that section of the form in. Beyond that they didn't really help much!

Edited by Maevvy
additional info.

Well, as it's a SELF cert, I would have thought that they can only verify the details with YOU.

Thanks Marie! I thought it was a bit dodgy to say the least. ACAS pointed to the fact that the standard one on HMRC is nothing like that (although I know they can differ from company to company).

But I just noticed you may have got the wrong end of the stick.. which is my fault, I didn't word their wording very well. The exact wording on the self cert is:

"I hereby give my employer permission to verify the above information"

Which is what gave me alarm bells!

Edited by Maevvy
clarification

My current employer and a previous employer both had/have similar Self-Cert forms. My current employer asks 'did you contact your doctor/nurse, if so at what time'. It also asks the same things you have mentioned and was anything prescribed although doesn't ask you to name what. It also states that by signing the form they 'could' check the details with the doctor.

I think this is becoming standard amongst companies now to ensure staff aren't pulling sickies however unless you are taking an unreasonable amount of time off sick and or coming up with some outlandish illnesses, it would be unlikely they would actually check with your doctor.

I do wonder though, whether a doctor would accept such a form from a company as permission to divulve patient information anyway?

I do wonder though, whether a doctor would accept such a form from a company as permission to divulve patient information anyway?

There's a specific form usually about Access to Medical Records. You would sign to say that you agree to the company asking your doctor for information. As I understand it, they can't just trawl through your medical records from year dot, and would need to ask about relevant illnesses/problems. You can request to see the letter from the GP before it's sent and should be able to discuss any changes you want with the GP.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum