Till Shortages

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3603 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Been long time since Ive been on here..Fighting PPI..lol (ahhh the good old days..)

Just looking for some advice on behalf of a very good friend who works in a Cafe / Resteraunt. Just in case it makes a difference this is in Scotland..

If at the end of the day the till is short, the boss takes money from their tips to make up the till, Last week people sneaked out without paying and again the £18 bill was taken from their tips. In my opinion the first step there should have been the local police to report it.

Like today 2 staff were on but the boss was on the till at lunchtime, the till was short of around £10 and he took it from their tips, surely he should have paid a share too.

Up until now there has always been enough to cover shortages from their tips and there is nothing at all in their contract of employment referring to till shortages..

Any Info greatly apreciatted..

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Hi Ian

I can understand the frustration, but there are issues here on two levels. Firstly, tips and gratuities cannot be deemed as 'wages' unless they are guaranteed as part of an employee's contract, therefore there can be no claim for an unlawful deduction. The second point is that retail workers may have money deducted from wages, providing that not more than 10% is taken from any single wage payment, quite lawfully to repay any till shortages or stock loss. This is a permitted deduction, so I suppose that the employer could, in the face of an argument over a deduction from the tips, agree to not do that but to make a deduction from the wages instead. This deduction can either be applied to the wage of whoever was responsible for the till at the time of the loss, or where this cannot be attributed (as in the case of stock loss, so covering customers who don't pay for example), from all staff in equal measure.

Should the boss also have paid a share? Probably, but then he is the boss. Does he also take a share of the tips? If so then he has 'paid' his share, but if not, what are you prepared to do about it? A grievance might be called for, but consider the possible repercussions in terms of the shortfall being made up from wages instead!

FWIW, I agree with your friend - in the case of theft, Police involvement might be appropriate. Other than that, my thoughts on the matter sadly do not go far in getting your friend's tips repaid, sorry.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

What a sc**bag. Whatever the legalities of it I would advise your friend to find another job as fast as possible. There is a thief on the premises and , unless it is your friend of course then shame on him, your friend and any other staff may well get dragged in to an incident of some sort and that may not end well either. When money is about TRUST is a big issue.

Notwithstanding that the employer obviously cares nothing about the staff perhaps because there is many others to take their place.