• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

WALLET v HALIFAX **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am in the process of claiming just over £300 in charges including interest from the Halifax. My overdraft limit was £200, but when we were financially struggling our limit was exceeded by a couple of pounds and the charges just took over and put the account in a right mess

My prelim letter was sent to Halifax PLC Customer Relations in Leeds on 14th September 2006 along with the spreadsheets which included all charges and interest details. Today I recieved this reply..

21September2006.jpg

Is this a standard reply or not? It looks to me like it is out of date for a start reading the 4th paragraph.

Any advice welcome on what to do next. Ta:)

I havent seen that one before... I got a letter saying They were looking into it & someone would come back to me within 4 weeks !

I am due to send the LBA letters tomorrow.

I would stick to your deadlines & send LBA's as normal on 28th sep

:D :D :D :D :D

Halifax Bank Account.. Sent 1st letter, to calim ££ on 08.09.06 - Recorded Delivery. LBA Sent on 22.09.06, Moneyclaim form sent on 10.09.06

Halifax Visa Account.. Sent 1st letter to claim ££ on 08.09.06 - Recorded Delivery - Recieved a letter on 21st September to say full amount will be refunded -- £240.00-

Argos Card Account.. Pending.

Egg Card - Pending

DESPIT MY ATTEMPTS TO DONATE TO THIS SITE I DO NOT HAVE A PAY PAL ACCOUNT - JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I HAVE TRIED !

It seems a strange one doesn't it.

It is a similar reply to the NatWest one I recieved, only the Natwest one said they would get back in touch within 2 weeks. Which they did with a reduced offer of which I refused of course.

Byetheway the account is/was a Halifax Current Account.

I have just recieved the same letter and I thought the same as you at first, I thought it was a different approach for me personally, well for the first couple of minutes!

I'm just drafing the LBA now. I sent my Prelim on the 12th Sept and recieved this today. Should I wait the 14 days from the 12th before sending the LBA or take this as a response, send the LBA tomorrow and start another 14 days? I have stressed in the LBA that I'm only claiming from June this year and think it's a very generous sum I'm asking for, as I could back date and include other accounts. Thought it was worth a try ;) .

Prelim sent - received usual sorry letter and leaflet.

LBA sent - No reply

Moneyclaim - 12th Oct.

It's not just me then being a one off awkward case:D

I'm going to prepare and send off my LBA on the 28th as mentioned by lisa1977.

Similar to your claim freak. I have statements going back 12 years (what a heap) but just claiming from the last 4 years, and there is the odd statements missing which will probably have charges on them. So I bet there is another four or five charges to add onto the ones I am claiming for. So they are getting let off really in me not claiming the whole lot. I was going to mention in my Prelim letter that I would accept my outstanding overdraft to being settled, but I thought sod it. I want all i'm entitled to with the statements I have available.

All I want to do is clear my outstanding overdraft with the Halifax as mentioned in my opening post with a bit left for a pint or two.

My claim with the Natwest is at a advanced stage, but the start to this Halifax claim is different to the Natwest's claim in it's early days.

It seems a strange one doesn't it.

It is a similar reply to the NatWest one I recieved, only the Natwest one said they would get back in touch within 2 weeks. Which they did with a reduced offer of which I refused of course.

Byetheway the account is/was a Halifax Current Account.

And they've sent you a letter about credit cards! :lol:

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

It's more an admission that they haven't got a clue what they're doing! :o

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

21September2006.jpg

Is this a standard reply or not? It looks to me like it is out of date for a start reading the 4th paragraph.

Has anyone else recieved the above response to their Preliminary Letter apart from myself and dainesfreak??

Should I send a LBA off to them next week like a few have advised me to do so? It's just strange how they don't mention anything about getting back in touch within 14 days or anything. Or am I trying to compare it too much to Natwests response to the Preliminary Letter :?

Could do with some more advice as I don't want to make the wrong moves.

Banks never acknowledge your timescales, they just make up their own as they go along. This is your case, you call the shots NOT them. Once the 14 days of the pelim are up send the LBA giving them a further 14 days. If they do not pay up IN FULL after that then sue them.

Lloyds TSB - £972

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 20/07/06***

Woolwich - £2288

S.A.R, prelim and LBA sent.

Offered half

Moneyclaim filed online 02/08/06

Judgement filed online 23/08/06

WARRANT FILED ONLINE 30/08/06

MONEY RECEIVED BY BALIFF 04/10/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 09/10/06***

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

***FULL SETTLEMENT RECEIVED 07/07/06***

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It sure is!

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

Advice & opinions provided are personal, and not endorsed by CAG or BAG, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Right. 14 days since I sent the preliminary letter (14th September).

Mr Liam Pollit sent me a big no no letter back on the 19th september so today is the day I send my LBA off to him.

Happy reading Mr Pollitt:smile:

I don't expect a positive response from him though, seeing as they did not even say they were going to get back in touch with me within 14 days after I sent my preliminary letter. Just a plain old get lost and not even offer us a penny back. See letter images on this thread

Keep to your guns, it's just tactics to scare people off, and they know some people will give up. If that letter deters 15% of the people who plan to claim money from them from proceeding further, then they will have done well and the 30p letter would have saved them alot of money.

Regards

S

Halifax PLC - £607 - SETTLED IN FULL

Halifax Card Services - £1142 - SETTLED IN FULL

MBNA Europe - £842 - SETTLED IN FULL + INTEREST!

I've been charged another £196 since I started claiming. I believe that I can stick this onto the Moneyclaim when it gets to that stage, is that right? Can I even tell them if and when they make an initial offer or is it best just kept until the court action stages?

LBA sent - No reply

Moneyclaim - 12th Oct.

If they make an offer, then state you require the additional charges to be included. If not then add any additional charges you receive at the moneyclaim stage.

Lloyds TSB - £972

Claim acknowledged

Defence received

AQ 20/06/06

Woolwich - £2288

Offered half

Smile - £175

Pelim 23/06/06

My Ex vs Woolwich - £715

S.A.R sent 30/08/06

Pelim 06/10/06

LBA 20/10/06

• 2 weeks later...

Right then. I sent the LBA off to the address which was on the letter Mr Pollitt sent back to me in response to my preliminary letter on the 28th September. So now only 2 more days until the 14 days are up from when I sent the LBA off to Mr Pollitt himself.

I have not recieved anything yet in the post or otherwise, so does anyone think I should dive straight onto the moneyclaim stage or not? Or should I contact the Halifax to see if they have recieved it.

Bet your bottom dollar though, that should I ring up Halifax to check if it has been recieved, that they will say they have not recieved my LBA. :mad:

Is this usual for the Halifax to ignore a LBA or not. The Natwest were fairly quick to respond to all the letters sent to them.

Cheers

Wallet

I sent you a PM about this to see where you were at, same for me too, heard nothing and it's more or less my Money Claim day tomorrow. I think I might do it on Thursday though as I'm generous to a fault! ;)

LBA sent - No reply

Moneyclaim - 12th Oct.

I sent you a PM about this to see where you were at, same for me too, heard nothing and it's more or less my Money Claim day tomorrow. I think I might do it on Thursday though as I'm generous to a fault! ;)

Just noticed you sent me a PM. Only because you mentioned it though:oops:. I'll keep checking in future

So if you don't hear anything today, it looks like todays your day for Moneyclaim.

I've still got in my head that they will say they have not recieved any Letter Before Action and I should have sent it recorded delivery or something. Can they turn round and say these things to get them off the hook?

Anyway. Will you be pressing ahead with the next exciting stage of the claim then Daines?

Definitely, all set, even found out when I opened the account!

It's all a bit dissapointing so far, I at least expected some silly offers and an abusive phone call. All this quiet is sort of disconcerting, it's like sitting in the trench waiting for the whilsle to blow.

LBA sent - No reply

Moneyclaim - 12th Oct.

It's time for MCOL today folks.

No reply from the Halifax, and the 14 day deadline was yesterday to respond to the LBA I sent them on the 28th September.

A Question for anyone who knows.

Which Halifax address do I need to put on the Moneyclaim form in the space where it says Defendants Name and Address?

I have checked the Halifax contact details threads, but the addresses on them don't seem to catch my eye to put in the Moneyclaim Form.

Thanks for any advice