Barclaycard / egg transfer nightmare

HP Mum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI

I have posted on egg forum too,

but as it is barclaycard who now "allegedly" own egg debts

and who are now causing me headaches

I will temporarily also post here until the correct forum is established on this issue

- which I am sure affects many others too....

Quite simply Barclaycard just sent me

- and probably 1000's of others

- an email saying that they were not renewing my visa credit card.

The reason is cos the combined amount of egg and visa is not to their liking.

Now I am worried.

I had thought I had successfully argued against egg and any debt as they had terminated my account.

Now Barclaycard has bought egg.

And now this means I have a huge exposure to Barclays : mortgage, business loan, current account, children's accounts, WCT and Child Tax payments, income.

... and of course they are considering the egg amount as a "balance transfer"and it appears they will be able to dip their dirty fingers into my personal account

as soon as money comes in to it to pay off the "egg debt".

Does anyone have a solution to this issue ??

I am copying the email I have just received below:

Hello "HP MUM",

You will have received a communication to let you know your Egg Card account was transferred to us on 29th April 2011. Now we're writing to give you your new Barclaycard Terms and Conditions which will take effect from 7th November 2011. Currently, we won't be sending you a new Barclaycard owing to the status of your account, and as a result, not all of these changes will affect you.

Please make sure you read through all the following sections and review the online frequently asked questions and booklets so you don't miss out on any important information. Your interest rate and credit limit will remain unchanged and any balance transfer or promotional purchase rate is also unaffected.

Changes to your statements and payments

If your monthly repayments are made by Direct Debit they will continue to be collected in this way. Further information on the changes we will be making to your Direct Debit is available using the link below.

Read the Direct Debit update >

From 7th November 2011, you'll get 56 days' interest-free credit on new purchases made on your account instead of the usual 45 days. Your statements will continue to be produced on or around the same date each month, but your payment due date and when we collect your Direct Debit will change to approximately 10 days later. This means if you only pay the minimum payment, your first payment could be higher because of the increased time between your old and new payment due dates. If you've got an outstanding balance on your account then the interest you're charged will also be higher on your first statement for the same reason. Please bear this in mind and ensure you have sufficient funds in place for when the payment is taken from your account.

For further information on your statements and payments or if you have a repayment plan please see the frequently asked question information at the end of this e-mail.

New benefits

The benefits applicable to this new account may become available to you should your account status change in the future. The benefits currently include earning Reward Money at participating retailers with Barclaycard Freedom, contactless payments, discounted holidays and travel services.

Changes to your Terms and Conditions

A summary of all the changes that will take place on 7th November 2011 is provided and a full copy of your Barclaycard Terms and Conditions are available using the link below. It's important you understand what the changes mean for you, so please read the following information carefully.

Minimum Payment – will be clause 2 of your Barclaycard Conditions

If you have Card Repayment Protection insurance, the amount of your premium will no longer be included in your minimum payment. Remember you can always pay more than your minimum payment – you may wish to increase the amount you pay each month to cover this.

Interest – will be clause 6 of your Barclaycard Conditions

Interest will be charged on all fees, including those on balance transfers. Default fees will only have simple interest charged – so you will not pay interest on interest.

The minimum amount of interest that will be charged on your statement will increase from 50p to £1. This only applies if there is an amount of interest on your account less than £1.

If we increase your interest rate, we will give you 30 days' notice before any reprice, and 30 days to opt out after you see the effect of the reprice on your statement.

Default Fees – will be clause 10.1 of your Barclaycard Conditions

Default fees will be reduced from £16 to £12.

Balance Transfers – will be clause 12.6 of your Barclaycard Conditions

When you ask us to make a payment from your account (like a balance transfer) we will process this transaction on the next working day unless you have agreed to make the payment on a future date. In that case the payment will be processed the working day after the date we have agreed.

Any promotional balances, such as balance transfers will now be paid off starting with the earliest expiry date first, rather than the earliest start date.

Other changes to your Terms and Conditions

• We are giving you longer to pay off your transactions before we start charging you interest. After your account transfers, you will always get up to 56 days to pay off your transactions before interest is charged as long as you pay your account in full by the payment due date
  • The minimum possible credit limit on your account is now £250, reduced from £500
  • There is now a limit to the amount of cash you can withdraw on your Barclaycard. This may be a percentage of your balance, or an amount. We will let you know before we make any changes
  • The fee payable if you want an additional copy of your statement will increase to £3. Remember your statements will still be available online
  • If you authorise a transaction in the European Economic Area and the amount wasn't specified beforehand and you later find out the amount is more than you could have reasonably expected, we will review this for you and refund the transaction
  • Your account will now be included in Barclaycard Freedom and will no longer be registered for the Egg Cash Back Store powered by Quidco. For further information on your Quidco membership please see the frequently asked questions below
  • We will discontinue the following insurances: purchase protection, internet delivery guarantee and travel accident insurance

Read the full Barclaycard Terms and Conditions >

Are your contact details up-to-date?

It's really important we have your most up-to-date contact details so we can get in touch by e-mail and post and send you reminders about key dates by text message. You can check and update your details by logging in to your Egg account at egg.com and clicking on the 'Personal details' tab. If you can't log in to your Egg account you should contact us on the usual number.

Questions?

For further information, please see the below frequently asked questions using the link below.

Frequently asked questions >

If you have any further questions, you can send us a secure message via the Egg website by logging in to 'your accounts' at egg.com clicking on the option to 'Contact us' then 'Send a message' and finally selecting 'Egg Card'. All you have to do then is select 'Transfer of Egg credit cards' from the drop-down box. If you can't send us a secure message you should contact us on the usual number.

Remember to look out for future updates heading your way with more information about how to manage your account from 7th November 2011. You'll also find all the latest news at barclaycard.co.uk/egg

Kind regards,

P*** M*******

Head of Consumer Sales and Service

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi HP Mum,

1. Can you confirm roughly what balance was on the disputed Egg a/c.

2. Why was the balance in dispute - was it failure to provide a credit agreement, or something else.

You'll have to tackle this head-on, or BC will take money from any of your other Barclays a/c's to settle what they consider to be arrears.

I suggest you write to BC saying the a/c with Egg was in dispute and was terminated by them. You disputed the matter with Eggs solicitors and they decided not to pursue the alleged debt.

However, before you do anything, please answer the 2 Q's above.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

hi and thanks for commenting:

1) The balance was apx £4k

2) There was initially no dispute. I was paying regularly and then they just "terminated" my account (along with about 160,000 other people). I continued to pay something, then got into financial trouble and eventually stopped paying. Then I discovered cag and the egg forum and how many people were disputing payments against terminated accounts. I have written many letters to egg and their many dcas and solicitors and had thought the matter had been sorted in my favour. But then egg was sold to barclays and now i find my "terminated" account is resurrected, alive and kicking again with Barclays....

So....

What to do ?

what does your cra file say about this debt?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi all

I've had the same email, now surely Bcard can't just add any other alleged debt they may have purchased onto your account? Shouldn't there be some kind of deed of assignment? Seems crazy if they can.

What if I settle the Bcard account by using a balance transfer, then close the account before this alleged debt arrives on my statement, can they prevent me from closing the account or can they re-open with the new alleged debt on it?

yes they can

they have brought all the rights etc.

if you do not bank with barclays then it should not make any diff

they cant raid accounts can they

if you do bank with barclays

time to get your income paid into a parachute accoungt then.

ps this is not you thread.start your own

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

I have done nothing. Today I got a letter about my account # (old egg acc #) and that the transition would be happening by 7 Nov.

What should I do ?

Surely there are tons of others who had their egg accs terminated and have been paying nothing ?

I am so stressed now as my life is with Barclays and can't go to any other bank.

post 4?

dx

and they

Well I closed my Bcard account a long time ago, but what do know they have now informed me they have transferred the old egg card ( which they told me had been cancelled ) into a NEWLY created bcard account! with a new number etc. INTERESTING! We await developments.

Wow, that is astonishing.

But I am guessing that they will start debiting money from my current account to pay this alleged egg debt.

I have not checked my CRA file yet. I need to do that but Experian were charging. Is there a cheap way to check your CRA file ?

if you've used it before

you should be able to put in the email ad of 'then' and get it the login sent to you as long as you are still able to collect email from that isp

dx

and they

.......... and if that fails, send off £2 for a posted CRA report.

:-)

i got to experian password stage, now can't for the life of me remember what my password was and need to ring them. But it does also say "renew my membership" once I have remembered my password...

just tried equifax but ha ha they refused my barclaycard !! This is because Barclaycard have now cancelled my card cos the alleged egg debt is too big. Ironic that they had actually increased my limit cost this was the one and only card I had left and was using it wisely....

Now I have no credit card and no likelihood of getting another one.

At this rate soon I will have no bank, followed swiftly by no home - as Barclays have the mortgage on that too...

• 8 months later...

Barclays keep changing the wording on my monthly visa statements.

The most recent change is

"Important Message, your account has been suspended. Please be aware we've temporarily suspended the use of this account because of the position of your other account. Please contact Customer Services if you haven't already to discuss the situation further"

Ok. So clearly they mean the "terminated" Egg account they bought.

Has anyone successfully challenged Barclays yet ?

Clearly I need to put in writing that "I know nothing about any other account" But what to write ????

Anyone dealt with this yet ?

Hi Mum

I don't believe BC have much in the way of supporting documentation, so I ask them for documentation including the previous year's statement from Egg so that I can reclaim Egg charges from BC (I know this is contrary to usual advice to reclaim from the OC but it serves my purpose).

I did maintain token payments, agreed with Egg, to BC but then BC started harassing me that they were late so I stopped them and then restarted them under duress; so folks should beware that BC will play their usual tricks but are easily stopped.

x

v

I had stopped paying Egg.

I owe Egg apx 4k, I think, but have not paid anything for more than 2 years, almost 3 years.

I had a long running battle with Egg to provide details and prove I still had an account seeing as they terminated it whilst not in default.

As my life is with Barclays, I can forsee a battle. Should prob deal with this now...

Anyone else dealt with and got rid of Barclays/Egg ?