Advice needed on old Amex debt..

lala27
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was contacted in January this year about an old Amex debt that was almost statute barred (stopped paying and has no contact with Amex since Feb/ March 2006) by BTO solictors. I was contacted by phone at my parents address (where I dont even live anymore) so I panicked and spoke to them, and agreed to start re-paying the debt.

It took them a few weeks to send out the paperwork, and I wrote back to them and offically agreed a re-payment plan around Feb. I have agreed the most I can afford which is £45 per month - however they are still adding interest to the debt which was £3500 in 2006 and has grown to nearly £7000 in the space of 5 years! They refuse to drop the interest and I have came to the conclusion that I am never going to pay off this debt.

Sought some advice from National Debt Line last week(over some other old debts that I am being chased for) and mentioned the Amex debt - they advised I send CCA request to BTO.

My question is this ... Is it not too late to do this? I have already acknowledged the debt and started paying it again. Also I am wondering if it might still be SB.... my last payment to Amex and first written acknowledgement to BTO was very close to 5 years apart. What letter do you think I should send? And how should I word this (I have the standard template) considering this is a debt I been paying for the last 6 months?

Has anyone else had dealings with BTO? I've read very little about them on here.

Hi,

What was the debt ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

As your not sure if it's sb or not I think sending a SAR to amex should show you what the score is regarding payments made on the account ect, was there any PPI or charges you could re-claim.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 2 weeks later...

Would have thought Amex would default your account back in 2006 when you stopped paying. As far as I'm aware after registering a Default they can't add any further interest or charges as the account has been terminated. So the amount increasing from £3000 to £7000 over the past 5 years definitely sounds wrong to me..

You'll be able to find this out from your SAR, but hopefully it will have reached the SB stage anyway.