Looking for advise dealing with severn trent water

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice about how I should proceed with STW and a dispute that I have with them.

Last year (2010) I asked STW to fit a water meter to my property, I could not remember the exact date, but I had an idea that it was sometime between June and September.

when I made this request I was informed that I could revert back to rateable value bills if I choose, I was advised that I could do this revert anytime within 12 months or within 30 days of me receiving (note they used the wording"you RECEIVE") my 2nd metered bill. Therefore AFTER I had an opportunity to access the difference between metered and rateable.

today I received a letter from STW, which prompted me to realise that I have not seen any bills from STW since changing to meter, which I thought was about 12 months ago. This letter was thanking me "for arranging to pay your account by payment plan using a water card". I have not made any such arrangement; I do, and have been for 4 years or so, pay my water bill by standing order every Friday.

The letter I received today laid out details of how much I had to pay each week from now on. I was horrified to discover that this weekly amount was to treble almost.

So I immediately phoned STW to advise them that I wished to revert back to rateable value bills, as a meter had trebled my bill.

I was told that I could not revert back because more than 12 months had passed since they fitted the meter, they informed me that they came and fitted the meter on 23/06/10, but they also admitted to me that the letter they sent to me confirming this change over was not sent until 25/09/10, so I pointed out that 12 months had not elapsed since this letter confirming the change to me, and when does the 12 months start counting from, I would argue that the 12 months should only start from the date that they confirmed this change in writing, they (of course) claim that the 12 months start from the date the meter was fitted.

So I turned my attention to the 2nd "condition" to me reverting back. The "30 days after receiving (that wording they used i.e. "receiving" is critical) my 2nd metered bill. I pointed out to them that I had not received any bill from them since having a meter installed, their response was "well they where sent in Nov 2010 and May 2011", so again I repeated myself, that I had not received ANY bill from them since changing, their attitude was "well we sent them so tough", we spend 15 minutes with me trying to explain to them the difference between the words sent and received.

After being passed to several "managers" their stance was still the same. More than 12 months have passed and we have sent 2 bills more than 30 days ago, to tough you cannot revert back to paying the rateable value waterbill (which is £120 pa less than the metered bill, hence my wish to revert back)

again I pointed out to them that I had not received any bills from them and that the first opportunity I had received to compare the 2 different rates was today, when I received this "thank you for trebling your bill letter"and that as far as I was concerned, firstly, the 12 month period does not start until I receive confirmation of the change in writing (25/09/2010) and that I also have until 30 days after I receive my 2nd bill (I still haven’t received the 1st one yet), so I informed them that if they would like to send my the 1st bill followed by the 2nd bill so we can start counting the 30 day period I have.

They informed me that they would not be changing their stance and if I did not pay the amount they now say I have to, that they would pass me on to their normal debt recovery system. I informed them that I would only be making payments up to the rateable value bill, and that as far as I am concerned this account is now in dispute, and it will stay in dispute until they stop trying to force me to have a water meter I do not want.

Anyone have any advice about what course of action I should now take? I intend to write to them outlining the above as explanation as to why the account is indispute. Am I correct in assuming that they cannot pass this to their debt collection department whilst this dispute remains?

Thanks in advance for any responces

Mick

Edited by mickmackpaddywack

hi mick.

i am no expert.

when they installed my water meter , they sent me a date & time when they were fitting the meter & duly arrived on that day, 6 months later i got my half yearly bill, so i knew exactly what was going on ! surely when you requested a meter there was some corespondence between you.

your question reads as though you did not know the meter had been fitted untill the letter arrived in that case i would say you have every right to pursue the change back , in my case i am saving £300 for the last 3 years , but only 2 of us.

good luck