Worried about being on databases, and very concerned who can see them.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am more than a little concerned about the use and sale of lists of people and their residences.

There are many genuine reasons why a person should want their location kept secret, such as witness protection and domestic violence.

Would a service/utility advisor have a list of everyones residences even those who have never been customers? Would they be allowed to give this list to anyone?

I am very concerned about this as these lists would be very useful to criminals and terrorists to say nothing of DCAs.

Also what would these lists contain? Could they be used to put undue pressure on people?

This information is all in the public domain

any one can compile a list of companies

with addresses etc,

As they can from telephone directories electoral

registers and hundreds of other sources.

Witness protection and the like is handled

by Government agencies with considerable

expertise, the average member of the public

is in no need of such protection, many of the

complaints regarding privacy have their

roots in the simple fact people don't

read agreements and fail to opt out of

their data being shared.

The list can contain diverse information

from the brand of cigs preferred to the

supermarket you use most.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Yes I know what you mean, but why is a company I've never dealt with keeping a database with my information and what gives them the right to sell it to a DCA? My present details are not on the likes of 192.com or the public electoral register, so how has a company I have never had dealing with got them?

There is a principal involved here, I've never hid my address from any of my creditors. I may have gone over the top re witness protection but you can't tell me that the police have the power to keep the details of every police officer, service person, witness, juror and domestically abused person private.

Yes I know what you mean, but why is a company I've never dealt with keeping a database with my information and what gives them the right to sell it to a DCA? My present details are not on the likes of 192.com or the public electoral register, so how has a company I have never had dealing with got them?

There is a principal involved here, I've never hid my address from any of my creditors. I may have gone over the top re witness protection but you can't tell me that the police have the power to keep the details of every police officer, service person, witness, juror and domestically abused person private.

Hi Count, there was a post on here yesterday with a reply saying type john harris its an illusion into google, I did now i'm even more para.

The tpuc.org website is very interesting reading.

The police, the services and other don't

publicise who they are in public data bases

you wont see an entry of PC Plod and the address

in the telephone book, service personnel don't display

their rank on an entry unless they are of senior rank

and retired, even so the service lists are available

for public reference, military commissions are posted

in the London Gazette, Churchills medical directory

list medical practitioners, Iam on some of these data

bases and it causes me no problems.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Big Bro got bigger and more and more powerful

as the result of the grotesque nanny state invented

by Blurr and MC Broon that poked it;s nose into the

most private areas of life in England & Wales but

of course left Scotland relatively untouched by the

prying eyes of over zealous local authorities and

quangos,and the like.

Interesting debate to be had here.

I think the state holds a lot of information about people, probably a lot more than most people realise. But in the main they are not allowed to sell the information onto anyone and I think there are certain protocols they have to follow concerning its usage. There are rules for example about information given to one government department, being used by another department, when there is no provision for this in law. One example is that the census info cannot be used by the taxman to catch someone out. There are exceptions to this e.g DVLA, who do sell info on.

In regard to the credit reference agencies and commercial companies you come into contact with, they should comply strictly with the DPA. Problem is that once your data is on their systems, you have no way of knowing whether your data has ever been passed onto anyone else. If there are issues of security, I believe that there are certain documents that can be served on companies handling your data that they have to comply with. I have seen this working in financial services, where certain peoples data has been made more secure, with access only given at a higher level. Also via IT any data links are disabled. Count Orlock, if you fit into this category, you can make such a request to the compliance manager of the companies concerned. They should have processes for this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Well I still don't think it is right, and it certainly isn't a good way to keep or get customers.

"Come and buy your buy your services from us, even though we have never dealt with you before we have all your details and we routinely give them to other people." I don't think so, I only deal with people who respect my right to privacy and do not give them to all and sundry.

Incidentally the service providers I use do seem to abide by my opt-out.

The protection is enthroned in the DPA 1998, and

the right to SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST THAT CAN BE MADE

TO ANYONE COMPANY SERVICE

or what ever.

I would add that I can't find out where I live using any of the online people finders.

Interestingly I can find out the names of all my neighbours, but my house does not have anybody living there.

Edited by count orlok

Hi Count, there was a post on here yesterday with a reply saying type john harris its an illusion into google, I did now i'm even more para.

The tpuc.org website is very interesting reading.

Interesting to see tpuc being talked about here.iv'e been a member of the forum for a very long time and iv'e heard john harris speak,facinating what he had to say.

I say if your not paranoid your not paying attention.