• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

un1boy vs Black Horse **WON**

un1boy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Uniboy,

Sorry to jump in! Is your black horse finance for a car or loan? Reason I ask is I'm just starting out with these buggers and on the back of my agreement section 2 it says;

"you must pay our costs resulting from your not complying with this agreement. You must pay a charge of £25 for each unpaid, rejected or cancelled cheque, standing order or direct debit, and for each reminder letter, notice or call we make on you"

Is your agreement the same?

Thanks,

Lee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ian cognito

Glad I found this thread, bit flumoxed by the statement but I'll just follow the lead of you guys and claim as listed.

Un1boy - are we living parallel lives?

Hi Uniboy,

Sorry to jump in! Is your black horse finance for a car or loan? Reason I ask is I'm just starting out with these buggers and on the back of my agreement section 2 it says;

"you must pay our costs resulting from your not complying with this agreement. You must pay a charge of £25 for each unpaid, rejected or cancelled cheque, standing order or direct debit, and for each reminder letter, notice or call we make on you"

Is your agreement the same?

Thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee,

This particular agreement was for a motorbike actually and is in my Father's name. I've not seen the original agreement and unfortunately he hasn't kept a copy, but I would guess it had similar clauses. I'm not quite sure I undertand what you're asking here, but if it is "can I still claim if I have agreed to this caluse?" Then yes, absolutely; every bank account application and credit card and loan apllication has this clause (or one similar) in it. The point is that it does not costs them £25 or whatever they ask for to return a DD etc....has this helped?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Glad I found this thread, bit flumoxed by the statement but I'll just follow the lead of you guys and claim as listed.

Un1boy - are we living parallel lives?

Yes, the statement is quite confusing. I claimed for the following, which the solicitors have confirmed is correct:

COLLECT ACTIVITY FEE

LATE PAYMENT INT

I also claimed for the Doc/Opt Fee at the top of my statement under charges as the advisor told me it was a charge for late payments. Their statement is that confusing I had to call somone about it, I have asked them to provide evidence of the contrary (see my reply above!) because they say it is an admin charge. We'll see what they come back with.

Yes Jan, we do seem to be bumping into each other a lot in my threads!! Guess we can learn from each other's cases?

It is spooky - we do seem to be running parallell at the moment!

• Haha 1

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

Hi, Yep, I was comparing types of agreement, but I would think it is the same type. I'm still waiting on the statements, got the other stuff today (which included some poor sods paperwork - he owed them £50k!!) The statements are said to follow!

Thanks very much for the help, scales clicked!!

Cheers,

Lee

Hi, Yep, I was comparing types of agreement, but I would think it is the same type. I'm still waiting on the statements, got the other stuff today (which included some poor sods paperwork - he owed them £50k!!) The statements are said to follow!

Thanks very much for the help, scales clicked!!

Cheers,

Lee

Hi Lee, no probs and thanks! :D

Come over anytime and ask for help, or feel free to PM me! It might be worth starting your own thread and come back here and let us knwo what it's called. That way, we can help you better!

Any problems with that, let me know and I'll talk you through it! :)

• Haha 1

My charges claims:

Default removals:

As promised, here's my reply:

___

I am writing in response to my letter dated xxx November 2006 in which you offer a settlement for the above claim.

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totaling £xxx. I would like to remind you that a daily interest rate of £0.07p is payable from the date of issue until the date of payment and also extra postage costs are £7.75, these are in addition to the balance.

You mention in your letter that you do not understand where I obtained the figure of £xxx based on the statement of account. The statement I received from your client included under total charges £90.00 with the description of “Doc/Opt Fee”; after calling an advisor in the Black Horse credit department, I was advised that this was a charge applied to the account due to missed payments etc. I would consider deducting £90.00 from the total balance I am claiming upon checking through your evidence that this “Doc/Opt” fee has nothing to do with late payment charges and the like.

You also mention in your letter that the dates of Statutory Interest became payable from different dates. The information I have used to compile my Claim have been taken directly from the last Statement Document I received from your Client and are therefore correct to the best of my knowledge. If you are able to provide any other evidence for me to consider, please feel free to do so.

In summary, I will accept the sum offered of £100.00 only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder until the full balance of £xxx plus the daily interest plus the extra costs I have incurred since your recent letter, has been received, without withdrawing the County Court Claim until I have received the above balance in full.

I trust this clarifies my position.

___

Hope all this is he;ping you guys....I know not many people are posting in this forum and especially not for Black Horse!!

Oh I am getting bored with them now...here's their reply:

_______

Thank you for e-mailing your reply dated today’s date.

The reason for the delay in us receiving it and being unfamiliar with the signature is that you have sent to Brighton.

In respect of your letter we remain a little confused. As we said in our earlier letter the charges actually debited to your account and showing on the Statement of the account are £xxxx. If you are claiming a larger sum you will have to provide evidence of your calculation of it.

That appears to be difficult when £xxxx was all that was debited. If you are able to prove the higher figure, please let us see the calculation and we will take further instructions.

We will also need to see a breakdown of your interest calculation. As we have said you claim suggests that you seek interest on the full amount from the date of the agreement. It is our position that you will only be entitled to interest on the sums that you actually paid from the date you paid them if they are found to be as you claim and not valid reasonable contractual charges.

The Statement of account shows that the default charges were not debited until the xxxx 2006 and your payment of them appears to be included in you last two payments on xxx and xxxx 2006. Interest can not start to accrue before those dates.

We attach a copy of the Statement of Account.

We note our clients offer of £100 is rejected.

As we have said, this is not economically viable to contest and on that basis alone our clients are prepared to increase their offer to £150.

This is on the basis that whilst making no admissions the above factors will be taken into account by the court and even if you are successful in principle, it is likely that the court will find that an element of the charges was reasonable having regard to the contract and the defaults.

If this offer is still unacceptable please let us have the appropriate calculations/break down of your claim by way of early disclosure for our further consideration.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Yours faithfully,

My charges claims:

Default removals:

And here's my reply:

___

I am writing in response to your email dated xxx 2006 in which you offer a settlement for the above claim.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for clarifying the confusion about the location of my letter.

Secondly, I must inform you that I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totaling £xxx which include costs and interest. I would like to remind you that a daily interest rate of £0.07p is payable from the date of issue until the date of payment and also extra postage costs of £xxxx, which are in addition to the balance.

You mention in your letter that you do not understand where I obtained the figure of £367.54 based on the statement of account. I explained in my last letter that the statement I received from your client included, under “Total Charges” £90.00 with a confusing and not clear of its meaning description of “Doc/Opt Fee”; after calling an advisor in the Black Horse credit department, I was advised that this was a charge applied to the account due to missed payments etc. I would consider deducting £90.00 from the total balance I am claiming upon checking through your evidence that this “Doc/Opt” fee has nothing to do with late payment charges and the like, contrary to what I have been told by someone whom works for your client. Put simply, I was advised by your clients representative that the £90.00 was a charge levied for late payments and charges.

You also mention in your letter that the dates of Statutory Interest became payable from different dates. The dates I have mentioned in the claim merely confirm that the interest has been calculated for the whole period of the account, rather than a specific period; if you calculate the interest, you will notice I have only calculated the interest from the date of the first charge. The information I have used to compile my Claim has been taken directly from the last Statement of Account I received from your Client dated 18th September 2006 and are therefore all the information is correct to the best of my knowledge. If you are able to provide any other evidence for me to consider, please feel free to do so.

As requested, I have included my calculations of the interest which confirms that interest has only been claimed from March 2006; as the charges were applied to the account on this date that is when the interest is accrued from, not when I made payments against them, as suggested in your previous email.

In summary, I will accept the insulting sum of £150.00 offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that there are no conditions to its payment and also that I will pursue recovery of the remainder until the balance of claim, plus the daily interest, plus the extra costs I have incurred since your recent letter as mentioned above, has been received; the County Court Claim will only be withdrawn once all payments have been received in full. I require all payments in the form of cheque made payable to xxxx

My charges claims:

Default removals:

And this is what they just said:

___________--

Thank you for e-mailing your reply dated today’s date.

Unfortunately we do not seem to be making much progress in this case towards a reasonable settlement and have still yet to see from you how you calculate the sum claimed of £367.54. Even your own “Calculation of Interest” attached to your letter does not total that sum.

We have sent you a full statement of the account and as you can see there is no £90 debit to your account. Your calculation does however seem to agree that the collection fees and late payment interest were £225.00 and £7.79 respectively.

Our clients’ position is:

1. if your claim is successful in principle, the court will still find that our clients were entitled to charge for the administration cost of dealing with late payments and will allow a proportion of what was actually charged.

2. you will only be entitled to interest on the sums that you were actually “out of pocket” i.e. paid by you (and are found to be recoverable by you) and only for the period from the date of payment by you.

3. any costs will be subject to your evidence of an actual expense. We do not believe you will recover postage costs and certainly not for letters sent to an incorrect address.

4. this is a Small Claims matter and legal fees are recoverable by the successful party but not legal costs.

On this basis our clients repeat their offer of £150 and are prepared to add to it the Court fee for issue of the proceedings of £50 making a total offer of £200 in full and final settlement these proceedings.

We look forward to hearing from you,

________

Cheeky fcukers! I am, so tired of this - I'm goign to draft a response and post it up here asap.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

The claim is for over £300 with all the interest etc

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Ok, I have told them that I will acept £300 as full and final - this includes all charges, interest and court costs. Nothing else.

They are sending me a cheque today -yay!!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Congratulations!! I know it wasnt excatly what you had wanted to get out of them, but maybe with the headache you must have been getting it was worth settling that little bit lower. I have just posted my (huuby's) prelim off today so will keep you posted in my tread. Again congratulations and have a Merry Xmas with your extra £300 (even if it is your dads, im sure you will get a prezzie!!! LOL)

Halifax: LBA sent 27/11/2006 £640 owed. N1 filed on 13/12/2006 they have untill 12/01/2007 to acknowledge. Settled 12/01/2007 £929.46

Barclaycard: Prelim sent 13/12/2006 £250 owed from May 2004. Remaining statements being sent 04/01/2007.

£120 part payment recieved 09/01/2007.

LBA sent 10/01/2007.

N1 filed 29/01/2007.

AQ filed 19/03/2007.

Letter for offer in full 8/05/2007.

Settled 05/06/2007 £433

Halifax C/C: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 17/11/2006.

Prelim sent 29/01/2007 £407 owed.

N1 filed 19/03/2007.

Judgment entered against Halifax 3/05/2007. Settled 25/05/2007 £500

Hubby:

HSBC: Prelim sent 27/11/2006,

LBA sent 12/12/2006 £3231 owed.

N1 filed.

Defence filed 14/2/2007.

AQ filed 5/3/2007. Settled 16/03/2007 £4238.15

Black Horse: Prelim sent 13/12/2006 £256 owed. LBA sent 10/01/2007. Settled 24/01/2007 £146.75

Thanks - let me know what your thread is called when you start it and I'll help you out if I can!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Congratulations!! I know it wasnt excatly what you had wanted to get out of them, but maybe with the headache you must have been getting it was worth settling that little bit lower. I have just posted my (huuby's) prelim off today so will keep you posted in my tread. Again congratulations and have a Merry Xmas with your extra £300 (even if it is your dads, im sure you will get a prezzie!!! LOL)

Hi there, only just seen this post. Thanks loads. Well I haven't really lsot with this - they offered me £250 and I said I wanted £300 - this included all charges, interest on the charges, 8% interest, court courts and I just rounded it up.

The extra I was claiming for was the £90.00 which I was originally told was for charges, but then was told by them it was an admin fee, so realised I couldn't really claim it so didn't mind reducing it....

So, I didn't lose out at all to be honest.

Let me know the name of your thread and I'll come over to help!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Just search my name (sezj127) in the quick search box at top of the page. I got about 5/6 threads going on at once and get confused myself...LOL

Halifax: LBA sent 27/11/2006 £640 owed. N1 filed on 13/12/2006 they have untill 12/01/2007 to acknowledge. Settled 12/01/2007 £929.46

Barclaycard: Prelim sent 13/12/2006 £250 owed from May 2004. Remaining statements being sent 04/01/2007.

£120 part payment recieved 09/01/2007.

LBA sent 10/01/2007.

N1 filed 29/01/2007.

AQ filed 19/03/2007.

Letter for offer in full 8/05/2007.

Settled 05/06/2007 £433

Halifax C/C: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 17/11/2006.

Prelim sent 29/01/2007 £407 owed.

N1 filed 19/03/2007.

Judgment entered against Halifax 3/05/2007. Settled 25/05/2007 £500

Hubby:

HSBC: Prelim sent 27/11/2006,

LBA sent 12/12/2006 £3231 owed.

N1 filed.

Defence filed 14/2/2007.

AQ filed 5/3/2007. Settled 16/03/2007 £4238.15

Black Horse: Prelim sent 13/12/2006 £256 owed. LBA sent 10/01/2007. Settled 24/01/2007 £146.75

• 1 month later...
can the "collection activity fee" be claimed from black horse??

No unfortunately it can't because it's an admin fee.

I tried claiming it but they wouldn't let me....

My charges claims:

Default removals:

oh balls.

never mind. i can't claim anything from them then. it was a few years ago that i had the loan with them and i just remember having to pay charges left, right and centre. however after looking at my statements it seems that lloyds honoured all my payments to black horse and it was to lloyds that i owed all of the returned direct debits etc... and i have already got all that back.

ah well, onwards and upwards. who's next......

c & g me thinks.

Oh well, at least you tried!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Hi un1boy

i just wanted to ask when you say you wanted to claim for the collect activity fee and "They" wouldnt let you , who do you mean by they? its just that i was advised that the collect activity fee is a result of late payments and as such are reclaimable as they are penalty charges for late payments. im currently a second year law student and through my contact i have had some advice from a solicitor and they seemed to think both types of charge were recoverable

im just interested as im currently filing a claim for both charges from black horse

Good Luck with your claim

regards

paul

Hi Paul and others,

I am SOOOO sorry, I got it wrong, collect activity fees are recoverable.

It's the DOc/Opt fee that aren't

I am sorry....you are correct Paul.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I've PM'ed Molly to tell her

I am so sorry guys.....I know it is no excuse, but I am in the middle of studying for some work related exmas and we are sooo busy here.

Just to clarify what you can claim for:

Collect Activity fee: YES

Doc/Opt Fee: NO

My charges claims:

Default removals:

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I am really glad to hear that you won uni1boy.

Blackhorse have charged me the following:

C105 - due date charge, £25.00

C129 - W/B Arrears fee, £29.38

996 - Ddr Lack of funds, £72.02

996 - Ddr lack of funds, £72.02

C119 - Collection activity fee £250.00!!!

I will be glad especially to be claiming the collection activity fee!

Erica