Part time students and ESA - is this right?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can't find this anywhere:

Someone I know claims that if you're a part time student, you're exempt from the ESA medical. That can't be right, can it? I've looked through various websites which state the conditions for the exemption from the ESA medical and there's no mention of being a part time student.

Treated as having limited capability for work

No-one is exempt from the medical assessment for ESA. All claimants have to undergo at least one element of it. But there are a few circumstances where a person can be treated as having limited capability for work. They are where the person is :

• terminally ill
  • receiving chemotherapy (unless it is via oral medication)
  • under notice as a carrier of, or had contact with, an infectious disease
  • pregnant and there would be a serious risk to health of the claimant or her baby if she did not refrain from work
  • pregnant, entitled to Maternity Allowance and within the Maternity Allowance period
  • pregnant or have recently given birth, not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance, from 6 weeks before the birth to 2 weeks after baby is born
  • a hospital inpatient
  • receiving treatment by way of haemodialysis, plasmapheresis, radiotherapy or total parenteral nutrition, in any week when the person receives treatment or has a day of recovery from treatment. In the first week of any such treatment, claimant is only treated as having limited capability for work if they have:
    • 2 days of treatment; or
    • 2 days of recovery; or
    • 1 day of treatment and one day of recovery
    • The days do not have to be consecutive

I don't deal with his aspect in my job at the JCP but found this bit of information and it states who will be classed as having a limited capability but there are no exemptions from the ESA medical sorry.