Investigation or con?

helsinki
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a disability that renders me unable to work for periods when in relapse, this has been the case for several years.

When i can - i work as self employed (soletrader - cottage industry) but there are periods of both being on benefits/ self employment/ employed.

I have recently gone back to work (for somebody -part time) to ease myself back in slowly - if i dont get sick i will eventually go self employed again as i can earn more.

Last week - out of the blue i got a call from a withheld number, the guy asked for me by my other name (used for years in my industry -never to deceive) and said he got the number from my website - he told me he had both my home and previous (4 years old) business addresses and said he was from the DWP and he had a National Insurance rebate for me. I smelt a rat as I have never used my "stage" name officially , never claimed such a rebate and doubted it would be dealt with by phone in any event (he said he had written letters but had no reply.The old business address has long since changed hands - and I never got a letter at my home (that I did use before for correspondence via the website). I thought it was a [problem] to get my bank details - politely said "sorry - dont know what you are talking about" and that was it .He said "ok, if you dont want the rebate- goodbye".

Today however I get a call from a land-line - it sounded like the same guy - he said he was looking to book my services (basically im a talent scout) for an event for a soldiers homecoming next year (he specified a venue) and could i recommend any acts - i asked him to be more specific and he mentioned one particular artiste he saw on my website (although I knew that act hadn't been on the site since May) but when I pointed out that the artiste in question wouldnt be suitable for a family audience (along with the "brass band" he was booking?) he said "so what act can you get me".I told him clearly that I was not operating in this field at this time and suggested he Google "tribute acts" that may have a more all round appeal he said "ok thanks" and said goodbye. Again I put it down to either a [problem] - or that the guy just didnt know much about what he was doing... but to set my mind at ease (and maybe recommend a Tribute website) i rang the number AND I GOT THE DISCONNECTED TONE???.

I have nothing to hide - but I may not have all the paperwork from what I have done work wise - Does this sound like some sort of investigation or just wierd 2 co-incidences?. As I say i have just got back to work - i have done nothing wrong but this is a bit wierd and unnerving so i would appreciate any opinions or advice. Thanks.

It sounds to me like a con or a wind-up. I sincerely doubt that the DWP would ring you about a rebate, we have all seen the warning ads from Inland Revenue, they NEVER email or ring regarding rebates and I suspect that a National Insurance rebate would come from Inland Revenue and not DWP (I may be wrong on that one).

As for the booking, it may be genuine. It may be that you were called from a phone that does not take incoming calls, such as a call box.

I can't honestly see the DWP using either of these tactics if they were investigating you. (They may possibly try to make a booking, but I think they would do it in such a way that you thought that they were a genuine customer who knew what they were talking about).

• Confused 1

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

DWP don't have anything to do with NI rebates. This is dealt with by HMRC, who would send such a notification to you in writing; they wouldn't contact you by phone about it.

There are many of these cons on the go, some by phone, some by email and even some by text message.

• Confused 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thank you all very much, logically it makes sense to be a rooz or a rip off (why when I type c o n does it come out as "problem" lol?).

the first call was "No Caller ID" - I ran the second through "whocallsme" - its not listed.

I guess also that if it was for real - and they were running any investigation the number would be genuine INCASE I called back .

Thanks folks. H

Did a bit of research - the area code is basically from a place 8 miles from where an ex lives , who have recently re-surfaced and I have ignored. I wouldnt put it past them to try and wind me up.

Also, thanks to this forum - i now realise its not just a simple "arrest -prove us wrong or we swallow the key", if by any tiny chance this was anything official (which i now strongly doubt) there is more than enough chance to defend myself.

Thanks again everybody. Much appreciated. H