Neighbours causing problems

marksmiles
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The property of my parents has a serious leylandii problem. One boudary neighbour has left leylandii unchecked for very many years, they are now taller then the house and there is a loss of light into my parents property as a result.

As my parents are elderly and infirm, I am left to take up these sort of causes on their behalf.

Your advice welcome

Hello again. I just did a quick google on 'maximum height for leylandii, looking at uk sites. There's quite a lot of information out there, but some of it isn't as clearcut as I imagine.

Do your parents or yourself have legal protection insurance with your household and contents? They might have a helpline that you can ring.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I had a neighbour who was having this problem with her neighbours. I think you have to first to have to be seen to try and rectify the problem amicably with your neighbours (she did try that) then you write to them and copy in the council as there will be rights of light issues (your parents have the right to light and they did have it at some point - these trees have taken it away.

Hope this is of some help but your local council web shouls have some guidance in this and rights of light.

• 10 months later...

Have you tries talking to the neighbours?

I had one at the back of my garden that had started to stop the light in the garden behind me. Neighbours knocked and politely asked if I could trim it down a bit as there garden was now in the shade all day.

Following weekend I took the top of it (40ft tree) and realised it was still blocking light out so now it's just a 4ft stump in the ground.

Trouble I had decades ago with those type trees was that I was proud in being able to grow vegetables one year with good success for a change, then the trees next door grew & grew tall on the left side, the following year not much veg i.e. 2 x letteuces + 1 small carrot only, main garden same results very little to useless veg grown, the neighbour the other side of me stated that he is entering the council garden competition as he does every year, I mentioned the problem I had, he said there is your problem the roots from those trees. gave up gardening and made it a shrubbery.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

reply to Nohope

What a nice considerate neighbour you are - apart from me, the only one left it seems.

My problem with my neighbours tree is much more serious than light in the garden, it is growing right by my extension wall, and unbeknown to me, some years ago it uprooted her wooden fence panel and neighbour drilled into my house wall, inserterd a hook and hung the fence on it and tied it tight with thick wire, and only recently discovered this. The fence is pushed by the tree trunk right against my wall now, and when I mentioned nicely that it was damaging my wall and trees cause subsidence and had to come out, I was hurled with abuse and aggression

Wish you were my neighbour

reply to mike770

I know that many people love growing vegetables, but I never did , too backbreaking, but you have the right positive attitude and am sure you now really enjoy your shrubbery and the pruning

I have seen this problem locally with these trees on the boundary of their garden. They cut off all the tree that had crossed the boundary and pilled all the cuttings on the neighbours lawn. You have a right to trim any parts of a tree or other shrubs which cross the border. If you grow any tree near the foundations of a neighbouring property, you can be legally liable for any damage you cause. Some local authorities will intervene in cases, if they have any legal room to do so.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I think the OP may have had a solution as the thread was posted nearly a year ago

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)