• Tweets

• Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
    • In order for us to help you we require the following information:- [if there are more than one defendant listed - tell us] 1 defendant   Which Court have you received the claim from ? County Court Business Centre, Northampton   Name of the Claimant ? LC Asset 2 S.A R.L   Date of issue – . 28/04/23   Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for –    (1) The Claimant ('C') claims the whole of the outstanding balance due and payable under an agreement referenced xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and opened effective from xx/xx/2017. The agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ('CCA'), was signed by the Defendant ('D') and from which credit was extended to D.   (2) D failed to comply with a Default Notice served pursuant to s87 (1) CCA and by xx/xx/2022 a default was recorded.   (3) As at xx/xx/2022 the Defendant owed MBNA LTD the sum of 12,xxx.xx. By an agreement in writing the benefit of the debt has been legally assigned to C effective xx/xx/2022 and made regular upon C serving a Notice of Assignment upon D shortly thereafter.   (4) And C claims- 1. 12,xxx.xx 2. Interest pursuant to Section 69 County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from xx/01/2023 to xx/04/2023 of 2xx.xx and thereafter at a daily rate of 2.52 to date of judgement or sooner payment. Date xx/xx/2023   What is the total value of the claim? 12k   Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? N/A Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes, but amount differs slightly   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. DP issued claim   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not that I recall...   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not that I recall...   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Yes   Why did you cease payments? Loss of employment main cause   What was the date of your last payment? Early 2021   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No   -----------------------------------
    • Hello CAG Team, I'm adding the contents of the claim to this thread, but wanted to open the thread with an urgent question: Do I have to supply a WS for a claim with a court date that states " at the hearing the court will consider allocation and, time permitting, give an early neutral evaluation of the case" ? letter is an N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, if so, then I've messed up again. Court date 25 May 2024 The letter from court does not state (like the other claims I have) that I must provide WS within 28 days.. BUT I have recently received a WS from Link for it! making me think I do need to!??
    • Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The worst landlady in the UK. How can we give her her comeuppance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I believe I am a tenant of the worst landlady in the UK.

The effect of her behaviour on myself and my housemate is actually tangible.

We have never been so stressed out. our home is a source of stress and anxiety.

This woman clearly has some sort of disordered mind or personality and we are at the whim of it.

We moved in three months ago.

At the time, she knew my mother and told my mother that she would be renting out her house, as she was moving around the corner.

We agreed to move in

- this woman at the start was very nice, doing the whole "as its you",

theres no need for contracts or deposits i knew you when you were a baby!! etc.

Myself and a friend moved in, and there was an existing tenant who is eastern european.

She and her son and his partner were already living here and were "going to move". the move dragged on.

We were given a set rent of £110 a week for my two rooms. and my friend pays £80 pw.

I paid rent for a week on two rooms when her son was living in one of them. i was very angry about this, but kept quiet.

It has only got worse.

She told us she had a business registered against this address so might 'pop in' a couple of times a week.

We felt this reasonable enough.

This has descended quickly into not only every day, but invariably at least THREE times a day.

She has been here three times already today.

This woman lets herself in and starts acting like its still her home, and worse.

she strides in at all hours - the other night she was here at 11pm on a wednesday night.

In addition to this her son and his partner have keys.

They let themselves in on a whim too.

The excuses for entering the property in this way vary from they're "still moving stuff" to " she's helping us" by scrubbing the floors,

she's "picking up post" or her son is working on the house and "shes cooking a meal".

Worse, this business appears not to be a "beauty service" as was suggested-

its some sort of massage/waxing thing.

Her other business we have ascertained is a gay sauna.

Men and women knock at the door or enter the house for "treatments".

once, a transvestite came in (yeah, we laughed too..) for a "wax".

Then she told us her "beauty clients" use our bathroom, because they need showers and stuff.

What?? This is in our home.

Then, she moved in some other woman - we were not consulted - so we have four living here.

She basically told this woman that she was "in charge" of us.

This woman started off making our lives a misery,

but since has come round to the fact that there is something dodgy.

She is the most money grabbing bitch i have ever met. My rent was at one stage £433.34p a month. Seriously. then things got worse...

Our rent is "all inclusive".

one unemployed guy lives here,

one employed (me), a self employed person, and another student.

The eastern european (unemployed) came home one day saying he was worried about a letter

(this man is very benign and very mousey, and obviously rather vulnerable living in a foreign country) that was in his name.

He knew nothing about it. It was a council tax bill in his name for this property,

and written on it was my landladys name, phone number and "my partner".

This lad had no idea why it has come.

i asked him who had written on it, and he said my landlady.

She told him to go to the council tax people and show them this letter.

We very quickly pieced together what had happened.

She was trying to defraud council tax by claiming that they were partners and possibly something to do with council tax benefit too.

we suspect the other property was involved as my ll had told this lad that

"council tax can only be in one persons name, per property

- it cant be in hers for this house and her other house".

Worse still - our rent is "All inclusive of council tax"

- me and my friend are charged for it.

She clearly is lying and saying that this unemployed guy is sole occupant and simply pocketing the money.

This eastern european lad told me a few home truths about her.

he turned the bath on once and said she flipped and threw him out onto the street and said "get the f**k out of my house".

he said she has slung others out onto the street too.

He told me he found cannabis in the house once. it was hers.

We feel very vulnerable as we are currently saving for somewhere to go behind her back.

She told us once that her past tenants have "urinated on her floor, and keyed her car and smashed her windows". We see why now.

I am due to return to university soon.

I asked her about a council tax reduction and she said "its all inclusive". this is her only answer.

When i claim something is too expensive, she either tells me this, or "its because of the accountant".

I took one room upstairs, as i could no longer afford two.

At this point, she told us that there would be a "winter rate" on rent.

She had alluded to this when we moved in, saying £10 extra was reasonable. I agreed it was. S

he clearly meant £10 a week though.

Working this out at £44 a month extra for me and my friend, so £88, and probably another £44 for another tenant.

this is to cover "extra heating". ha!

Then she tried to make me pay it early, but i had a housemate who witnessed this "winter rate" discussion,

and who said "no you said from september not august..." She backed down,

but the spiteful bitch then said "Ah. Well ok. But the winter rate is carrying on throughout the year too now into the summer,

because i need to cover my gas bills...."

There is no internet here either - i pay my own, i am council tax exempt, and there is no phone.

There is no living room too - she fills this 4 bedroom house up with tenants.(or "lodgers" as she calls them)

She is renting out the two rooms to two others - god knows who- so SIX people in this house, plus her and her sons...

then WORSE still, this week, i have been pushed to the limit.

I returned home as usual to find everything had been moved around .

She touches all my stuff.

I found my coats, shoes, and bags, had gone from the cupboard under the stairs and the hooks on the hall.

I am moving upstairs ATM.

I found my things dumped outside my room on the floor, with my hairdryers from under the sink.

she pushed a note under the door saying she was "helping me move".

Its ANOTHER example of the controlling nature. its almost abusive.

We are watched constantly, passively aggressively prodded to do this or that. she makes snide comments.

Then, i went downstairs. She had put a PADLOCKED cupboard fitted on the boiler so that people couldnt touch the heating or hot water settings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i flipped out.

She has been here three times today prodding me to do this that.

Wanting me to do this or that. if i dont do what she "suggests" within 24 hours she will be back, prodding me.

we all hate this woman. we are convinced she is dodgy and exploitative.

We wish her nothing but the very worst.

These are just a few examples of what she does to grab money and exploit people.

We want to move ASAP, but equally we want to give her her comeuppance, but as she is threatening

and clearly knows dodgy people, we want her not to know it was us.

She is a millionaire. this money comes from exploiting vulnerable people.

Even if we move out, which we will soon, she will simply carry on doing it to others.

What can we do?

Edited by Johnny1978

wow, best way forward in my opinion is to go to either Citizens Advice or Local Law Centre, this is a very complex and possibly criminal activity (on her part) put revenge on the back burner, anger will not help you, try to stay calm, I dont know enough about property/rental to help you more. but there is others who are very good at this sort of thing

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

As you rent only 'rooms', the landlady is allowed to come and go in the non-let areas a much as she likes, though I admit it is weird.

The lack of internet or telephone is not really relevant unless you were promised these facilities.

Have you started paying the 'winter rate' yet?

If there are at least 2 non-exempt people living in the property, your student status will not affect the council tax bill.

Okay, you want to know what to do? Other than move, there isn't much, but...

The propery is a 'Home in Multiple Occupation'. As such, it has to adhere to slightly higher safety standards than a regular let. Contact the HMO officer at your local council and get them to investigate the place. If it falls short, they may decide to MAKE the landlady bring the place up to scratch (possibly thousands for a new fire alarm system) and they do have the option to prosecute wih some killer fines - £1k per breach.

You can also contact the 'Tenancy Relations Officer' at your local councils housing department. They can help manage the relationship - make sure the landlord knows her rights, and more importantly, yours.

You should have a lock on your rooms, and the landlady has virtually no right to enter your rented rooms.

You may also want to check with the planning department to see if she is allowed to run a business, and the council tax department to see if she should be paying business rates.

• Haha 1

Blimey Caprice1982,

I am a private tenant, but luckily don't have problems like you.

You say that there is no Tenancy Agreement between her and you, that is not right for a start,

unfortunately you should have never agreed to anything without having it in writing,

even if she was a family friend. (

My landlady is my wifes son's girlfriend, but we still have an agreement with her in writing).

It very much sounds like she is playing the system and claiming benefits illegally, as the previous writer said,

go and see Citizens Advice Centre or a Local Law centre, or you could even go and see solicitor under the green form scheme

(I beleive it is still available) where you pay just £5 for 30 minutes advice.

You mention that you are going back to Uni soon, are you staying here until you can afford to move out?

If you are, then contact the Uni, I beleive it is the Students Union they have lists of approved Let properties

which meet their very high standards and they are cheaper than what you are paying now.

I can tell you this as I live in the main Uni student accomodation area in our town and see the certificates that the Uni give approved properties,

some of these are for shared houses with other students and cost as little as £50-60 per week, inclusive of ALL bills...

The trouble is without an agreement she can tell you to pay what she says because you can't disprove it,

but something must be done to stop this woman from extorting all this money from you.

I personally would go and see the council, they have people trained to do with this sort of problem as she is defrauding the system and YOU and ME, taxpayers.

Once again you have a big problem about access to your rooms,

if she had an Official Agreement she can only enter your room, or even the premises without giving it in writing giving a minimum of

2 days WRITTEN notice warning you and stating the reasons she needs entry.

She has No right at all other than that, but again without an agreement she can say you gave her permission when you moved in.

Something needs to be done and fast if I was you, she is breaking all sorts of laws if only you had a written agreement.

As the previous writer said, for the moment forget revenge, lets get you sorted out and advise you where to go.

The authorities have laws they can use to stop rogue landlords (and landladies) doing this, also to bring to their attention that the premise

s is being used by an illegal Massage business, and

I bet they are breaking all the Fire Regulations and Health rules and even down to the amount of rent she can claim from each of you,

as for a "winter rate" that is totally illegal, but they have to be told.

Go and see them, they will help you, ask them not to tell her it was you, they are very co-operative and helpful.

This lady needs to be stopped and now, before she conns anymore money from helpless people.

She seems to be using the "vunerable" people to fill the house (and thats said to be offensive to you at all) all the people you have

mentioned obviously don't know the laws and rules to do with rental properties.

So do yourself a favour and go and see the CAB and the council asap....

... Also contact your Uni and speak with their accomdation people and get them to help you find a "Real" house to live in

without having to put up with all this hassle and being ripped off......

Keep us updated please.

******** just do yourself a big favour, make sure that you either encrypt your documents

and computer so that if she did come in while you are out she wouldn't "find" this page.......

. *************************

Keefy (:-)The "Moaner":rolleyes:)Boy

Prepared to take on anyone until I win...................

Can I just add to an earlier poster...

So you concentrate on the things she has really done wrong, forget the issue of no tenancy agreement. There is no obligation for a tenancy agreement to be in writing so long as it is for less than 3 years.

Thank you all.

I now have some ideas about what she ias exactly doing that's illegal.

Rather than comeuppance, per se, in terms of revenge, like you say

- it's exploiting vulnerable people and that's what makes me really angry

- my housemates are in a foreign country/unemployed/students etc.

My concern is that even if we move, as two employed english people we are in a much stronger position and still get this treatment,

so i shudder to think what she would do if she had a house full of more vulnerable people.

We are trying to get out asap, but we like the people we live with and feel that they are being used to:

for example as regards this council tax bill

- the guy didn't realise that once a bill is in your name, that's it!

they will still pursue him for it even if he moves elsewhere.

he was worried sick as the bill was about £2,000 and then they sent him one for a final demand.

This is the kind of exploitation i'm talking about and i feel that standing by letting it go on when we know its wrong is bad too. x

Shelter are a great point of contact. you say you are Uni student are you a member of Students Union already if so then contact their welfare officer who will be able to help and even get you free legal representation,

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

Caprice1982,

firstly start thinking about yourself first, I know you like the people you live with, but start looking after No 1 yourselves,

if you start some sort of action it will be to their advantage as well as yours.

You have got to get yourself out of there asap. You are being "USED" in what appears to be illegal actions to say the least.

With regards to the lock on the boiler cupboard door, (I used to be a fire prevention officer) and as far as i am aware she can do that, it is her premises.

She does not breach anything that I know with regards to locking the boiler cupboard door.

She has done this so that YOU and the other residents can not see how much she is ripping you off with the "Winter fee"

and as you say she is now making that a permanent fee all year round.

She is doing it so that you are pay are paying her bills for her.

There is no such thing as a winter fee or any other heating or hot water fee unless it is agreed upfront

and i would say in writing too, but she doesn't want anything in writing I bet.

You say that she is a millionaire, and now we know how.

Tell the gent who has had the letters to go to the council and explain everything to them,

as his name is on the council tax bill he is responsible for paying it, not the landlady,

thats why she has his name on it, the council will go after him, not her,

and its him that will get the big fine and possibly imprisionment for failure to pay,

if you feel up to supporting him then go with him and back his story up.

she has used you all and will continue to do so until she is stopped.

Get in touch with the council, get in touch with the Uni and speak with their accomadation officers, they can and will help.

My wifes son's girlfriend works in the Uni and this is what she has told us to pass on to you, get help asap,

this is why she is doing it because she is bullying you and as for the prodding you to force you to do things you may well find that it is classed as assault.

What does she prod you with?

a finger a stick or something?

is it leaving small marks on you?

if so then get someone to photograph it so you can use it against her.

She will continue to do this as it is classic signs of bullying to get what she wants.

Stand up to her and tell her to stop prodding you, see what she does to that..

... she will either stop or carrying on, if she doesn't stop write down when she was doing it, time and date

and then the reason why she was doing it.

She has absolutely no excuse to enter your private room,

I can imagine if you fitted a lock to it, she would rip it off and then charge you for damaging the door.

Do yourself a favour and get to speak to someone about it urgently, the longer you wait the more she will rip you off for.

I know you think I may be going on a bit, but I am trying to help you as much as I can,

I know I said Vunerable people, you are, you don't know your rights and she is playing on that against you.

You need help and you need it now.

Look after No 1, yourself, and maybe the other person who is working as well will come and back you up.

Don't delay things, make it a priority job to do as the longer you stay the more you will lose and it could be savings toward a new accomadation....

.. get to see someone now!!!

Keefyboy.

oh also, btw, is her locking the boiler illegal too? We can't imagine that it's in any way right as nobody has any access to it now.
Locking the boiler isn't illegal (or even unlawful) but the Housing Health and Safety Rating System does state that tenants should have control over the temperature. If non-access to the boiler prevents this, then you should raise it with the HMO officer when he visits.

The obvious reason that she has locked the cupboard is so the tenants can't see how much gas and electric actually used, this way if they say you have got to pay £25 each person per month there is no way you can prove different. No wonder she has money, ripping her tenants off by these unfair charges. Shes not responsible for the council tax because it is in someone elses name, expensive bills for gas or electricity and probably the water as well.

This lady needs to see someone urgently otherwise you are going to be ripped off even more....

If I knew where this house was I would willingly report the landlady to the council officers to save Caprice any problems.

Keefyboy, how does locking the boiler (cupboard??) prevent Ts from seeing how much gas/electric is being used? Meters are not usually in boiler cupboard/space.

I am still trying to unravel relationships between LL and 6? occupants. Lodgers or Ts

Suggest £4 to search Land Registry for property owner and whether Lease or Free Hold.

If occupier, Lease/Free holder is resp for C Tax. Max rate is 2 adults over 18yo

6+ residents may be overcrowding.

LL def smells like Grimsby Fish Docks on a Friday. A few 'discreet' enquiries to C Tax dept may elicit a spot visit. Beready to move out.

I agree that the boiler cupboard may not hold the meters (but in experience of renting a let house which had been split into 3 flats,

the boiler and the meters were located on the ground floor in a "Locked cupboard" which until I started kicking up a stink

about not having hot water available to shower or bath in, (because the boiler was set on a timers) and

my partner and I were shift workers, there was never enough hot water when we wanted to use it.

I worked as a fireman, and as a qualified Fire Prevention Officer for the Ffire Service,

there was no laws being broken that way.

But the council may say that the occupants "Should" have access under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System,

and "should" is totally different from "Must" and this could be got around many ways,

all she has to say is that she done it because someone kept breaking the boiler controls or timers,

but if this landlady doesn't have approval for change of use for the building

(which I very much doubt she has) then whatever she does is just to line her own pockets at the expense

of the "vunerable tenants" (because they are unaware of their rights as shown in a Shorthold Tenancy Agreement or continuation tenancy agreement).

I also understand that the boiler "Should " be serviced every year,

but when it due to be serviced she has the key and unlocks it for the engineer to do his servicing work,

she has not broken any rules.

Also if she is living in the house and it is not registered as a B&B or HMO then who knows what she should be doing but isn't.

I agree that a Council official should look into this the sooner than later as she seems to be flouting the system left right and centre and breaking all sorts of rules.

I just think we should not keep questioning each other about the technicalities of this situation as this is just confusing Caprice1982,

she is in a terrible position with a landlady who doesn't want anything in writing because this would implicate her

and resorts to bullying tatics to "persuad" her tenants to get her way and make them feel belittled and afraid of her.

Caprice get and see the council or someone, on the double, this woman is not only ripping you off but bullying you into submission to get her nasty little ways.

The only way she will be stopped is if someone reports her.

You can ask the council to not disclose your name and they must abide by this request.

Get to speak to someone at the Uni or students union as a matter of "yesterday" to help you sort out alternative accomodation.

Also if she keeps "poking you" then warn her that this is Intimidation and you do not like it and if it continues and she marks you

(which can even be just a nail print where she has poked you,) then you will be taking legal advice.

As I said before if she marks you photograph it, you must have a mobile phone which takes photos, so use this.

Keep us updated please and good luck.

Hi and thank you all guys.

don't have much time cos at work, but we are doing a midnight flit tonight, its got worse.

She basically brought a bloke in on monday to look at the house and gave him keys.

i asked her who he was and she responded ' i don't know, but i'll find out when he comes wont i?'

she took him on a tour of the house and then handed him keys.

We only know cos we are listening in.

i saw him from the window - a burly 40 odd bloke with a shaven head and tattoos - hardly an appropriate housemate for two women.

i was very upset that we were not even consulted about this (other two tenants knew nothing about his moving in).

next day we were listening in and he came back for the room keys - moving in on wednesday!!!!

i heard her ask his last name - she clearly didnt know. no references were taken - he could be anybody.

we casually went downstairs to investigate and i pretended that i didnt know who he was until i formally introiduced.

my LL was putting her nicey nice act on. i was just fuming.

she was wanting me to do the whole hard sell about how great the house was.

she was hinting for me to say he could use my net and my kitchen stuff. but underneath i was seething.

my other housemate was scared too - saying who was he?

where were his references??

he could bring groups of friends to the house etc.

we arranged a meeting all three of us with her.

she turned up but this third woman did not and we wanted to speak to her all together.

we briefly said well, theres no heat and we want it.

i said i'm a little cold, but other h/m is very cold.

my ll laughed and said "well i'm not cold!' and her words were ' if X wants heating on a lot then she'll have to pay for it..

' she then went **** ing and moaning to her son downstairs.

this woman has been in our home EVERY SINGLE DAY when ive come back from work

- saturday to thursday. then the sh*?* hit the fan... i got in and she was there.

She called me and had an aggressive "CHAT" with me,

basically this bloody third housemate had clearly seen her before and shed given her stick about wanting the heating on.

our other housemate had defended herself by dropping me in it by deflecting it to: SHE says blah blah blah.

...." My landlady was subtly threatening - i could see she was seething underneath. she said

'for your information my tenants are hand picked - this guy is a friend of a friend of a friend.."

she accused me of being rude when this guy came, ignorant, " i turned my back" and then started going "oh,

i WON'T say it...it's just that you're... no actually i won't say it...." i said "well say what?"

i was very calm and also a bit upset at being spoken to in this threatening way and felt like at any moment she would flip.

She said "well, maybe theres something here you don't like.. or maybe its ME you don't like..

.. and if you don't like me or my pratices you know what you can do..

if you've got some sort of problem.. ive been letting houses out for 5 years i'm experienced..

.' then she started saying i was slagging her behind her back about this guy and the heating

.. (well i was, but i think anybody could see why) i reasonably replied with a)

i didnt know WHO this guy was, you never told us, let us meet him, consulted us..

you just moved him in, so how am i supposed to guess who this bloke is stood in the kitchen?'

she had nothing to say to that save for "well yes but are YOU telling me how i rent my own house out???

are you telling me what i can and cant do with my own property???|"

I felt very threatened by her.

I THEN discovered she told the other housemate who complained that the heating should be on that if she wanted it,

she had to pay an EXTRA £30 - FROM THAT DAY! added onto her rent!!!! she then wrote a NEWSLETTER!

Some really nicey nicey letter designed to excuse all of her behaviour in a nicey way "just popping into help you clean" "

no contracts or deposits because i work on trust!!" "making improvements to the house!"

she referred to it as a "happy and honest home!"

Then made sarcastic comments about me in the day to my friend ('oh i'm moving this table -maybe she wants a meeting about it first and thinks she should be informed!!!)

and other housemate, and then was at home when i came back. a strange man was using the shower.

one of her "clients". and this was the final straw.

we arranged to do a midnight flit.

i went to work the next day and my friend text me saying "shes in your room.

i can hear her walking around and then she shut the door". he can hear because its the room next to his and theres a wood floor.

Where do stand legally though we are vacating the property asap - we owe no rent - rent due today.

we're vacating with no notice and hoping she doesnt catch us and posting keys back.

We are worried - my friend and other housemate works for the police, and i am a student teacher.

we cant afford to have any CRB issues. and we know she will flip if we say were leaving or if she catches us. very worried. :(

Edited by Johnny1978

Well done Caprice, she has admitted to you that she has renting out the property for 5 years, good ammo for council. If you start getting problems with her tonight, ring the POLICE (Use 999, being an essex Police operator they will NOT tell you off for using it) and ask for someone to attend to Prevent a Breach of the Peace, urgently as this woman is threatening you. She doesn't have a leg to stand on about the rent and notice because you don't have a written tenancy agreement with you so she cant enforce it. As long as you have paid up to today then don't worry about it, just leave as it sounds like she is introducing someone else illegally.

Get out asap, but still tell the council after you have left, as they need to stop this now, before she rips of anyone else. Don't worry about anyone else look after Number one, YOU...

Good luck and keep us updated please.

Keith

She doesn't have a leg to stand on about the rent and notice because you don't have a written tenancy agreement with you so she cant enforce it.

This is woefully incorrect advice. Caprice had a tenancy - an oral assured shorthold tenancy to be precise. It's notice requirements are set in stone by the courts - one month ending on the last day of a tenancy period. Therefore Caprice is liable for rent until that date.

I know the landlady won't enforce it, because a trip to court would open a huge can of worms, and a judge might accept (as all those of us reading would) that her departure without due notice was entirely acceptable. However, a blanket statement like keefyboy's could have serious potential consequences for future readers with similar problems who think their oral contract and legal obligations mean nothing.