Jump to content

The factor or Property Management company Issue

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3454 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi All,


My elderly uncle owns a flat in Scotland. The factoring or the management company of the building have been charging an arm and a leg. He's been unable to pay or refuses to pay and I think the company is overcharging. It turns out there was water damage to the flat.


The management company is responsible for insurance and when the insurance claim was made, before passing on the check, they deducted their past due amounts. Can they do that without my uncle's consent?


Also, my uncle is obviously paying for insurance through his management/factor fee. He requested they provide the copy of insurance contract for his records, but its one excuse after the other. What can we do to get a copy of insurance... is there any law that requires them to provide copy of insurance details once requested. And can you please answer my query above about them deducting the past due amounts without consent from the insurance claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

If the premises are in Scotland, the law is different.


• In Scotland, contact -


Citizens Advice Bureau, Scotland:



Shelter Scotland, in Edinburgh:


Tel. 0344-515-2444


Money Advice Scotland, if rent arrears:


Tel. 0141-572-0237


See also this Sticky thread: Great links; housing and associated.



This is a self-help forum in which users share their experiences. Assistance is offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgement; obtain advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.


This posting gives general guidance only. It is not an authoritative statement of the law. Consult a Solicitor for specific advice before deciding on any course of action.



Further information:


Assured and Shorthold tenancies - A guide for tenants


Renting and Leasehold - Advice from Shelter



All posts are opinion only



If you've found my suggestions useful, please click on my star and add a comment

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...