Car sold by Arnold Clark differs from V5

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

On Tuesday I bought a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi SRI and on the V5 registration form from the DVLA it shows it as a 160 model. (160hp)

Arnold Clark sold it as a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 SRI Hatchback. (so 160hp). So far so good!

But, this has been the first day I have had free too have a proper look at the car and I noticed the manufacturers plate on the door pillar, next to the tyre pressure chart and it shows the car as a 96kw (130hp) model.

Mmmmm strange, so after going through the huge pile of paperwork, that I got from the dealer, the computer generated sales invoice shows the car as a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi (160) SRI Hatchback, which has been amended in pen. When this was amended I do not know.

It now shows Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi (130) SRI Hatchback, with the (160) crossed out and (130) written above it in pen.

After paying for the car, in cash, I was given a cash receipt and I didnt receive the sales invoice etc

until I picked the car up 2 days later. But I was too busy being shown the extended warranty bumf to

take any notice of the amended sales invoice.

Any ideas on the best way to approach this matter, especially as the dealer sold the car as a 160.

It is printed on the computer generated invoice as a 160 (later changed in pen) and shows on the V5 as a 160.

I am also worried about the insurance implications as well? The V5 states it as a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 SRI Hatchback and I have insured it as such. But it is only a 130

If I ever have to make a claim on the insurance, surely the insurance company could

dispute the claim as invalid as the car is not a 160 as stated on the V5 and as I declared on the

insurance proposal form.

Even when I put the reg no in on the insurance website it came up as a 160, with the correct VIN

number etc.

Done a few searches HPI etc and it comes up as a 160hp.

I thought all the details on the V5 registration form would have been checked against the car by Arnold Clark before selling it, they told me they done an HPI check on it and it was clear.

Basically I have been sold a lesser model and they have altered the sales invoice to show this.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to deal with this would be appreciated, apart from going in and losing the head with the salesman big style.

I would rather like to know the legal aspect of this. Have I been sold an item not as described etc.

Thanks

I am now worried about the re-sale status of this car as the V5 gives a different description to the actual car.

Firstly, I would be looking at at lower re-sale value and secondly it would look suspicious to any buyer, dealer or private, if I sold the car as a 130hp and the V5 says 160hp.

The car pass card shows engine type as A20DTJ, which I presume s the 130.

This still doesnt detract from the fact that they sold it as a 160, printed an invoice with 160 on it (later amended in pen to 130) and presented a V5 with 160 on it.

Surely some of this documentation provided by them,shows misrepresentation of the vehicle?

Also, would it not be their responsibility to check that the details on the V5 matched the actual vehicle.

given the fact that the car has no external marking to advise customers of the actual engine size (eg 2.0 or 1.6 etc) and only shows INSIGNIA CDTI on the rear, if the salesman states it is a 160hp, the customer has to trust his word, especially if the customer has specified this.

A20DTJ is indeed the 130. I was just trying to get to the bottom of whether it definitely was a 130 or a 160.

I think the next thing to do is to see what the dealer has to say about it, on the face of it you definitely have grounds for complaint.

it is not unusual for the v5 to be wring and it can be ammended; the original dealer just made a mistake when registering it.

however you have been missold a car and you need to go back to the dealer and either get your money back or negotiate a refund.

If there is finance on the car then they will have be told as well as it is their car.

I'd go down to the dealership tomorrow and tell them you wish to return the car as being mis-sold. I'd have a typed up dated letter with me stating you attended and wish your trade in vehicle to remain on the premises if they refuse or ask you to come back. I'd also take a camera and take a picture of your trade in sitting in their compound so they cannot say they had already sold it if they try being clever.

I must admit I've had a similar experience some years ago with a local dealer, tbh I could/would not lay the blame entirely at their feet........

You mention you paid cash in full, I think the best course would be a face to face with the manager [its his/her cost centre after all so s/he should have authority to effect], assuming you are otherwise happy with your purchase I'd aim for the following:

1. Full and guaranteed check of vehicle spec [at their expense]

2. Correction notice to DVLA if necessary [at their expense]

3. Credit/refund of difference in retail value [not trade]

4. Rider to cover any admin charges effective upon changes to insured policy

5. Perhaps a commercial gesture of goodwill for your time

Gez

Alan651, you have had excellent advice from previous posters and i think you should concentrate on the VIN no. and engine number, to ensure which vehicle you have actually bought. Try to contact original selling garage and previous owner/s to ascertain some history of the car. I say this as it's not long ago that Clark sold a chap a "Grey Import" at full retail price, and failed to inform the chap at time of sale. There was also a woman who bought a Mazda from them and discovered that it had none of the features that the salesman quoted, so your not the first.

I note the post by A. Clarks customer services dept. I was originally told i couldn't speak to their manager----he didn't take calls from customers!!!! It may well be that the post was written by an Alasdair Craig who has been on here before. Myself and others have found that Mr. Craig's intervention in complaints has been somewhat less than helpful.

I'm a little surprised that complaints against this firm are still ongoing as i was recently informed that Glasgow Trading Standards have a close relationship with Clark's to advise and inform on aspects pertaining to customers rights????

Trading Standards seem to have failed to educate Clark's in the rules and regulations as set down by Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations. (CPUTR)---or more likely, Clark ignores said regulations.

I wish you well in your quest for a satisfactory outcome to your problem, and suggest you persist in getting the result you are looking for and not be fobbed off by a lesser and costly alternative.

PS. Salesman may not be totally responceable in mix up of vehicle type as many AC salesmen have little or no technical knowledge (neither do some GM's). Given the size of Clark's you would expect them to employ at least one technical guru, but this firm seem bereft of any knowledge of modern motor cars. Only Metal Movers.

Edited by scaniaman

• 1 month later...

Crem, after my experience with arnold shark i have much stronger terms to describe this despicable firm. Does "oxymoron" mean rotten from the core outwards??

For people who are prepaired to buy Vaxhaul is suppose that the 160bhp is the most desireable option. Salesmen know this----enough said!!!!

We need someone to go undercover and find out why no one ever comes back after they have been sorted !!! Are they being eaten or kept locked up somewhere.

Alan651, can you come back and let us know how you got on please.

• 4 months later...
We need someone to go undercover and find out why no one ever comes back after they have been sorted !!! Are they being eaten or kept locked up somewhere.

Alan651, can you come back and let us know how you got on please.

I was quite interested in this. I hear that if you reject the car as this Could be a Material Breach. The Branch that Made the Muck up may recieve a Fine aswell as A/C having to sort something out for the customer . Something to maybe bear in mind for any other folk out there in the same situation. Maybe future mistakes could be avoided.