HSBC making me pay for fraud

Wade Wilson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4583 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys

my card was stolen while at Uni and used to buy things worth a total of around £1500. from various places (at one point they used it to buy petrol, considering that i dont own a car i thought they would at least pick up on this) despite pointing out to HSBC that i have never been to the places the charges were made theyre still holding me liable for all the charges.

i received a letter from the fraud investigator and i was told because they used my card and they used the correct pin "HSBC is unable to accept liability for the transactions you are disputing, and your bank account will not receive a refund" not sure what to do.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Convince them that:You have never disclosed your PINIt MUST be some sort of [problem] including someone looking over your shoulder.Were you in the place at the time of the described transaction? Prove it if you canDo NOT take the bank at face value - fight - get help from a free advice agency.Do NOT give in if you are SURE it was not you!DO NOT!

Regardless of what they say, if you had your card stolen at which point did you realise this and then report it to them?

They are hoping that they intimidate you and won't put up a fight and will simply roll over and pay up.

I would thank them for their half hearted flick through their copy of the beano, and that in the real world, you dispute the transactions on the card and demand to know what they purport to do about it?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Regardless of what they say, if you had your card stolen at which point did you realise this and then report it to them?

They are hoping that they intimidate you and won't put up a fight and will simply roll over and pay up.

I would thank them for their half hearted flick through their copy of the beano, and that in the real world, you dispute the transactions on the card and demand to know what they purport to do about it?

it was during the exam period, i reported it like a week after. i originally thought i left it back at home. so i only realised when i got back home and searched for it.

im going to write a letter to them tomorrow (the said i can appeal to the "Fraud claims appeals manager" but im not sure how to word it, or what to say. i told the investigator everything so they already have all the information.

also thank you both for replying

I defo recommend putting it all in writing to this so called fraud appeal manager.

Just keep it succinct with no wishy washy details.

Say that it was during your exam period, you believed you had left it at home, when you returned home 1 week later and searched for it, only then did you realise that you had in fact mislaid it which was when you reported it.

Now, do you know which garage was used where they paid for fuel using your card? Is it near you? Have they sent you a statement showing where the card was used, in what shops?

Can you prove you weren't in those areas when it was used?

This whole chip & pin issue is NOT foolproof, it CAN and very often IS exploited fraudulently on a daily basis, the banks assumption that it is the holy grail is misguided, what this corporation has basically told you is that they do not have to investigate anything as the card is foolproof (in their eyes)

So I would also be asking this fraud person, exactly what has been done in the way of investigating the matter, to simply retort that as the card is chip & pin merits the misguided belief that it cannot be used without that and therefore you, the owner, must be lying is ludicrous and tantamount to libel.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I defo recommend putting it all in writing to this so called fraud appeal manager.

Just keep it succinct with no wishy washy details.

Say that it was during your exam period, you believed you had left it at home, when you returned home 1 week later and searched for it, only then did you realise that you had in fact mislaid it which was when you reported it.

Now, do you know which garage was used where they paid for fuel using your card? Is it near you? Have they sent you a statement showing where the card was used, in what shops?

Can you prove you weren't in those areas when it was used?

This whole chip & pin issue is NOT foolproof, it CAN and very often IS exploited fraudulently on a daily basis, the banks assumption that it is the holy grail is misguided, what this corporation has basically told you is that they do not have to investigate anything as the card is foolproof (in their eyes)

So I would also be asking this fraud person, exactly what has been done in the way of investigating the matter, to simply retort that as the card is chip & pin merits the misguided belief that it cannot be used without that and therefore you, the owner, must be lying is ludicrous and tantamount to libel.

thank you for your help! im going to try write a response today. yes they sent me a statement and i know where they used it. apparently they paid in a check for about £1000 and while it was clearing withdrew £300 and used that card to spend the rest. no the garage is not nearby my halls and they sent me a statement and i marked that transactions that wernt mine and sent it back to them (before they called me and said they wernt supporting my refund). also should i really insinuate the libel bit? my dad also says to mention the ombudsman, should i say i am going to contact them aswell as take the case to court?

once again thank you for your help!!

IMO you MUST continue with their internal complaints procedure, BUT, to make them aware of just how seriously you see this, you should ask them whether the response they give is their final response, so you are then able to escalate your complaint to the FOS to investigate.

apparently they paid in a check for about £1000 and while it was clearing withdrew £300 and used that card to spend the rest.

once again thank you for your help!!

Who paid in a cheque?????? Who's account did the cheque belong to?????? If that cheque was not yours then there is a start for their fraud team. Who issued the cheque????

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

• 4 weeks later...
thank you for your help! im going to try write a response today. yes they sent me a statement and i know where they used it. apparently they paid in a check for about £1000 and while it was clearing withdrew £300 and used that card to spend the rest. !!

There are 3 things that stand out in this.

1) HSBC don't usually allow you to draw on uncleared funds so I fail to understand how they would allow anyone to withdraw any funds if the funds weren't already there, and if the funds were there, then why would they pay in a cheque ? When you check your account they tell you what is cleared funds and what is available to withdraw. If the funds weren't cleared then no one could possibly withdraw them. It seems a most unusual way to attempt fraud.

2) All HSBC banks have CCTV cameras, so its going to be very very simple for them to check the CCTV footage to see who exactly paid the cheque into the account.

3) 99% of banks and garages have CCTV so once again its simple for them to go back and check the cameras to see who used the machine/card.