• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Abbey Try to Settle **SETTLED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just written to Abbey asking for a list of all charges applied to my account over the past 6 years. I am English and my account was opened in Manchester in 2000. However, I now live in Glasgow.

I have had a look at the Money Claim website and it says I can proceed with an action if I have a English or Welsh correspondance address, which I do as all my family is still in Manchester.

Does anyone know whether I can apply English Law to my claim or would this fall under Scottish jurasdiction? I'm going to claim anyway as I think my charges will be pushing the £5k limit and think my chances of winning will be worth the costs of pursuing a claim.

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

PS - I have read the FAQ's and can see the Scottish bit is under construction. Better hurry up as all my friends and colleagues are drafting letters to their banks too! :D

Abbey

Data Protection Act Request 14th March

Chaser sent 3rd April giving 20 days to respond

Request for Payment and Data Protection Act Failure letter sent 23/05/06

Full statements recieved end of May

Letter Before Action sent 13/06/06.

Claim amount - £1938 plus £288.79 interest

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Ref: 6QZ42158

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Account was opened in England - English law, English procedure. You will have to provide an english address for service of documents to you.

That's brilliant - I was hoping that was the answer! I'll keep you posted when I've submitted my claim.

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Having read another post saying to go to the Abbey site and press CALL ME, I did. Got a lovely Irish girl called Charmaine calling me.

I told her I needed all of my statements on my account since I opened it in 2000. She told me that they only held data back to 2004 and it would cost me £5 per statement. I played my trump card and told her I was a Compliance Officer for a large mortgage brokers and I knew that under the Data Protection Act they had to provide all information held on my account for a maximum charge of £10, and that under FSA guidelines, they had to hold 6 years of data.

She responded by saying this was what she had been told, and I asked could I speak to a manager about this. Charmaine said that the managers were all probably on lunch but she'd try.

Nice bit of hold music, and 2 minutes later Charmine confirms that actually they DO hold 6 years data, and that they will actually waive their charge for producing my statements! She then said she was faxing the request through for me and she'd call me back to confirm when she'd done it.

5 minutes later, Charmaine calls to confirm the request has gone through and that I should expect my statements within 4-6 weeks, due to the number of transaction. That's fine by me!

Oh, one last thing. When I asked for her surname for reference, she said "I'm not obliged to give out my surname Mr Campbell". Got her extension number though so any problems and I'll know where to go!

I'll let you all know once the statements come through. I also wrote to my bank, and they should receive the letter today, asking for my statements, so one of these methods should work!

:D

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

ianc, I've recently started a claim against Abbey and I live in Dunfermline. You need to fill in the claim form manually (i.e. not using moneyclaim), and send it, along with the fee to:

Central London County Court.

13-14 Park Crescent London

W1N 4HT

Tel: 020 7917 5000

This is the court closest to Abbey's headquarters, and according to the clerk there, they get a lot of 'incoming' for Abbey. Don't worry about an English service address, just use your own. The law states that you're supposed to sue at the court nearest the defender anyway.

Good luck, and if you need any support, feel free to get in touch

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

If my claim ends up in court, doesn't that mean I'll have to travel all the way to London!? Bit of a trek, but if my claim is in the thousands I guess it's worth the train fare.

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Bearing in mind other people's experiences on this website, (not least Stephen Hone's) I would guess that the chances of you having to travel to court in London are virtually non existant.

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

I believe a few banks are letting the cases go to court and basically "losing" by not turning up, rather than defending cases and losing. Is this not happening?

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Unfortunately we have a rather pathetic Small Claims limit of £750 in Scotland. Anything above that and you will have to do a either a 'Summary Cause' or an 'Ordinary Cause' (phone the clerk of the court for more about these). In either of these cases you will not be protected against costs if you lose, and I think (but I could be wrong), that you have to get a lawyer to raise these types of action for you.

Yeah, I looked into the Small Claims procedure in Scotland and it's pretty poor, but apparently as I'm English and my account was opened in an English branch, as well as the Head Office being in England, I can claim throught he English system.

I might give Money Claim a quick ring just to confirm though!

:wink:

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Emailed the Money Claim helpline (customerservice.mcol@hmcourts-service.gsi.gov.uk) with the following:

I am looking to sue a company who have their head office in London. I have an account with this company which I opened whilst living in Manchester. I now live in Glasgow, but have a correspondence address in England.

Am I entitled to pursue my case through the English Small Claims Court, or do I have to use the Scottish Legal system as this is where I reside?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Kind Regards

Ian Campbell

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Response from Money Claim Online:

Dear Ian

You can issue a claim online so long as you have an address for service within England and Wales.

Regards

Shalama Khanom

Money Claim Online

Northampton

May be useful for Scots with English/Welsh friends who want to go for the full £5k.

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Opened a new bank account today with Natwest just in case Abbey decide I'm not good enough to bank with them any more! If anybody is needing to open a new account but has adverse credit or is worried they might be refused for any other reason, try the Step account with Natwest. No overdraft, but accepts DD's and standing orders, and gives you an Maestro card.

You can apply online at:

http://www.natwest.com/personal02.asp?id=PERSONAL/DAY_TO_DAY/CURRENT_ACCOUNTS/STEP_ACCOUNT

:D

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

• 2 weeks later...

Chaser letter written to Abbey and sent recorded delivery today:

Data Protection Manager

Data Protection Team

Regulatory Compliance

Abbey House

201 Graftons Gate East

Milton Keynes

MK9 1AN

Dear Sir/Madam,

Data Protection Act Disclosure Request – A/C No xxxxxxxx, Sort Code 09-01-26

I wrote to my local branch on 14th March 2006 and requested a copy of all bank statements issued on my account since it’s inception in 2000. I also followed this up with a phone call and made the request verbally. 20 days have passed and I am yet to receive either any information, or an acknowledgement letter.

I am therefore writing this further letter as a reminder that there are only 20 days left for me to receive the requested information before I make a report to the Information Commissioner.

I have enclosed a copy of my original letter, and would like to add that if you require the £10 fee payable for a Subject Data Request, I am happy for this to be deducted as a single charge from my bank account.

I look forward to receiving the requested information before 23rd April 2006. If you require any further information, please contact me at your earliest convenience on xxxxx xxx xxx.

Kindest Regards

Hopefully this will spur them on! If not, I'll be submitting a claim with estimated charges of around £3500....

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Send the £10 with your letter if they have it they can't complicate matters by writing again to you for payment, as I am sure they will need to notify you that they will debit your account! I sent my with my original request but it was returned as they said they would supply me FOC

My original request was received by them on the 16th March and I have had a reply also dated 16th March saying issue statements foc my chq was returned with this letter, as your has gone in before mine I would say keep on at them!

My letter was received at Abbey today so 19 days until I send them a Request for Payment, based on an estimation or charges deducted from my account.

Based on the number of people who are being told their statements have been microfiched, could we all claim for £5k to "encourage" the bank to tell us how much is really owed? If the banks aren't even bothering to defend claims in court, these £5k claims might just be upheld, which could cost the bank a fortune in the long run.....

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

You MUST send them the £10. Abbey seem to be wilfully ignoring all DPA requests that don't include the £10. They do this for as long as they can and then say that you need to pay it. The 40 day period starts from when they receive payment.

DON'T RELY ON THEM TO DEDUCT IT FROM YOUR ACCOUNT. YOU ARE ASSUMING A DEGREE OF COMPETENCE AND FAIRMINDEDNESS THAT DO NOT EXIST.

OK then, in which case I'll go into a branch and request the info. Would you recommend handing the letter over with a cheque for £10? I definitely want the whole manual intervention issue addressed as if I don't ask this it may affect me at a later date.

Abbey

Claim submitted 28/06/06

I sent my DPA letter a while ago. 40 days is up on 5th May. I did not send £10. I have not heard anything from that department yet. However I also requested back dated statements via online banking and they wrote to me telling me it would take a little while.

So i'm not sure if i should send another letter with £10? Any suggestions?

Abbey won't comply with a DPA request unless you send the £10. They will wait as long as possible before telling you this in the hope that you will go away or forget about it.

YOU MUST SEND THEM THE £10 IF YOU WANT THEM TO COMPLY.

Abbey won't comply with a DPA request unless you send the £10. They will wait as long as possible before telling you this in the hope that you will go away or forget about it.

YOU MUST SEND THEM THE £10 IF YOU WANT THEM TO COMPLY.

So... if (as above) i ask them to take it out of my account, they will not do this?

Assuming they won't... can i put a £10 note in a recorded delivery letter? I should i write a cheque? I only ask as i don'y know who to make the cheque payable to.

Write a cheque to the bank name... they are the bank they can bank anything lol

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

Write a cheque to the bank name... they are the bank they can bank anything lol

yeah... felt kinda stooopid asking. but u know abbbey, they're bound to make some excuse like it has to be made out to abbey plc or something

So... if (as above) i ask them to take it out of my account, they will not do this?

Assuming they won't... can i put a £10 note in a recorded delivery letter? I should i write a cheque? I only ask as i don'y know who to make the cheque payable to.

If you are sending cash it must be sent by Special Delivery.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks