housing benifits bill from may 2005

bongobaz

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi wondered if anyone can shed light on this for me.

Had a leeter friday last week from an old council i used to live at asking foof overpayments for housing benifits going back from 11/4/2005 to 16/5/2005 for £150

Do i have to pay this or does the 6 year rule come into it for a debt?

I was on benifits around that time but this is the 1st i have heard of any over payments and have moved address twice since then and then letter comes out of blue?

Thanks

Halifax

Settled in Full

Cap One

Settled in Full

Citi Card

Settled in Full

Yes the limitation act applies to overpayment of benefits, are you still on benefits? Are you likely to need to go back on benefits in the future?

If you are on benefits or will need to go back on them in the future then they can adjust your amount accordingly to recover the overpayment, if you don't need to go back on them the limitation act applies to overpayments also.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Sorry BB, are you in receipt of Benefits now?

Are you likely to need them in the future??

The letter you should send therm is this....http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?408-Letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

no not on benifits only was on them for a few months years ago and dont think will need them again

thanks

Halifax

Settled in Full

Cap One

Settled in Full

Citi Card

Settled in Full

• 1 month later...

It's too small to read, can you upload it in a zip file or via a hosting site such as tinypic & copy and paste the url back here?

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

They may well feel that the overpayment may be recovered, but not through a court. If the last payment you made was 7th sept 2005 and no further payment was made by you or you did not make a written admission then it became Statute Barred on the 7th Sept this year ;)

They can do nothing but ask you for payment.

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Personally I would ignore them for now but if they continue with their begging letters write back and tell them in no uncertain terms that it is Statute Barred and you have an absolute defence in law if they were stupid enough to try and pursue & if they continue you will sue under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1997/40/contents

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can see how that letter may make you question your liability, but the truth of the matter is, as cerbs said, whether they 'feel' it is still recoverable or not you are not liable, they have had 6 years in which to recover this amount, they have failed you win they lose.