Partner's colleague contacted re: assisting benefit fraud?

yazoo006
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'll try to keep this short. I am a single mum of 3 and my partner has his own house/separate finances etc. He spends up to 3 nights a week at my house (usually only 2) and the rest at his own house, he pays his mortgage, council tax all his bills there, none of mine and no post or anything like that gets delivered to my address. 3 days ago my partners colleague rang him to say he'd received a phonecall from the DWP to say that my partner was assisting benefit fraud and apparently asked his colleague if he knew where my partner was living. I find this very odd. I've not heard anything myself and surely I would have if I was the one committing the alleged fraud? Also, is it common practice for them to ring the work colleague of my partner? I can't understand that at all as there is a chance (being a new-ish relationship) that my partner wouldn't know if I was claiming benefits or not and therefore would have no idea if he was assisting anything!

My partner has a job that could be severely affected by anything like this which is my primary concern as I know I'm not doing anything wrong but his bosses could think otherwise and he has already had to explain the situation briefly to them. None of them have heard anything about this supposed fraud so I don't understand how they could have obtained my partner's colleague's phone number either? Can anyone see anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice

If a department suspected you of commiting fraud then they can go and ask friends and neighbours to make statements and they can contact your partners employers although that is usually if they suspect someone of working and claiming.

This does sound as though someone is winding you up and even if you contact the DWP they are usually able to tell you if tey are investigating you iygwim?

If a department suspected you of commiting fraud then they can go and ask friends and neighbours to make statements and they can contact your partners employers although that is usually if they suspect someone of working and claiming.

Would they contact you before they contact friends and family? I mean, so that you know that you're being investigated.

(when I say you, I mean claimant)