loss of dla

Billywhiz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my sister has cancer and is about to start chemotherapy. Her dla has just been cancelled and her appeal has been disallowed. Is there anything she can do about this?

She or you should talk to the Macmillan. They have a benefit adviser who can help her. They are very good, they helped me.

She should have been allocated a nurse from the macmillan so tell her and the nurse will make an appointment with the adviser.

DLA has nothing to do with work. The criteria for DLA and ESA (what you get if you can';t work due to disability) is different. Unless she either meets the criteria for being terminally ill (death can be expected within the next 6 months) or has care and /or mobility needs that have lasted for at least 3 months and will last for another 6, she won't get DLA.

Dear god this country is getting more appalling by the day. I don't think this current government will be happy until we're all made homeless, I really don't. :(

Have you to tried making an appointment with her local citizens advice? Also for the time being has she tried claiming ESA or failing that JSA? What were the reasons she lost her DLA?

Billy, you need to give us a lot more information before we can give any advice. Having cancer and being treated by chemotherapy as awful as it is, is not sufficient information on its own to qualify for benefit and we therefore cannot advise on appealing based on that information, particularly that now the first tier tribunal have disallowed her appeal, any further appeal would be to the upper tier tribunal and would need to be made on a point of law.

I would urge her to speak to a Welfare rights representative urgently, where she can divulge more information and they can ask her appropriate questions. She should also write to the tribunal requesting a 'statement of reasons' for the disallowance - this will need to be done if there is a chance of appealing further and she only has one month in which to request it. a Welfare rights rep can go over the statement once received to determine if any error in law has been made.

If her condition has deteriorated since the initial decision has been made, she should put in a new application - but again I'd urge her to gain assistance with this - Dizzynita mentioned Macmillan - they should be able to assist with this.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)