PCN for parking where there's no marked bay or yellow line

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4618 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm looking for an advice on a parking ticket I received for parking in a bay for coaches. The only problem is that there were no bays, no white or yellow lines where I parked. I always thought that no road markings, means no parking restrictions...

There was "BUSES" written on the road few meters away, but I was in a hurry and I didn't notice it when parking.

I challange this PCN, saying that road markings were missing and I didn't see the "BUSES" thingy. Unfortunately whoever wrote the response completely ignored that fact that I was referring to missing road markings and wrote: "whilst I appreciate that you say you did not see the writing on the road, you cannot park in a bay that is designated for buses". - what bay? :-x

Can anyone tell me if it was illegal to park there? No yellow line, no bay?

This happened in Westminster around Embankment. There were bunch of bays around, but this stretch of the road didn't have them. Picture included. dl.dropbox.com/u/167742/7.jpg

Yes, we have had this before although the OP never came back to tell us how he got on. Problem is that most of this part of London is a red route other than designated parking bays which are mainly for buses/coaches. There should be some form of signage. This OP will need to be a bit more specific about the location. His 'link' does not work.

I couldn't paste the whole link because I'm a new user and the forum won't let me. If you copy paste it in the address bar, it will work. There was a sign nearby, but no lines, red nor yellow and no bays as seen in the picture.

Ok, your link does work but the pic is poor quality. I can see that there is what I think is 'Buses' painted on the road. I'm pretty sure (although you havn't given the exact location) that this is on a red route as I previously mentioned. Pretty much all main routes in Westminster are the same and basically there is no on street parking for cars. The 'bay(s)' where you are parked are no doubt designated for coaches/buses only and the red lines to designate the red route will not cover them because there is an exemption for the bays. There will be signage adjacent the bays stipulating that they are for buses/coaches only. Having said that, I cannot see the bay markings in your pic which suggests that the road has recently been re-surfaced. if that is the case they may be a slim chance of appelaing further. Without a clearer picture, I would'nt like to advise you to take it further unless you are already out of any discounted period. We did have a similar situation a few months ago in Park Lane but I don't think the OP came back to tell us the outcome. You must appreciate that this is possibly the strictest area of parking enforcement in the country and I would think that sucessfull appeals are rare.

I downloaded other pictures from their site:

dl.dropbox.com/u/167742/1.jpg

dl.dropbox.com/u/167742/6.jpg

Here's the location on google maps

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=embankment&hl=en&ll=51.508622,-0.120592&spn=0.015532,0.03077&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=30.44811,46.274414&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.508721,-0.120468&panoid=gbNfxioBUaoOeqrbmSKZpg&cbp=12,34.89,,0,28.18

(links are not clickable, the form blocks them for users with less than 10 posts, but you can copy paste them into a browser)

Road markings are different in this picture, they had to change them since then.

Not sure if that changes anything,

I think the google maps link didn't survive formatting, so here's another attempt

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=embankment&hl=en&ll=51.507821,-0.12748&spn=0.015532,0.03077&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=30.44811,46.274414&vpsrc=0&t=h&layer=c&cbll=51.508721,-0.120468&panoid=gbNfxioBUaoOeqrbmSKZpg&cbp=12,34.89,,0,28.18&z=16

I think the google maps link didn't survive formatting, so here's another attempt

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=llmaps.google.co.uk/maps?q=embankment&hl=en&ll=51.507821,-0.12748&spn=0.015532,0.03077&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=30.44811,46.274414&vpsrc=0&t=h&layer=c&cbll=51.508721,-0.120468&panoid=gbNfxioBUaoOeqrbmSKZpg&cbp=12,34.89,,0,28.18&z=16

Seems to be a link to the isle of dogs?

looks like a bay to me? its bus size so its a bit bigger than normal or are you saying its no longer there? I think you need to get your own photos done in daylight. We did get some of these PCNs cancelled a while back but that was because they were issued before WCC got a TRO for them but that has now been fixed.