Can I just cancel my council benefit claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4598 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Since recently ceasing to be a student I have had my housing benefit claim reassed as I am now claiming income support and have been sent a letter asking me to fill out a form to make a claim for council tax benefit (was exempt as a student). However I've got to the point in my relationship with my partner that we would like to plan on my my partner moving out of their house to live with me in a month or two which effectively makes me ineligible anyway because my partner has a good job. Words cannot describe how relieved I will be not to be reliant on benefits; I feel losing my independance in one sense is going to be a lot less hassle than the nightmare time I've had being dependant on the state, the paperwork and the constant errors.

I don't see the point in applying for council tax benefit for the sake of a couple of months because for me it isn't worth the hassle of it alll. I'd like to write to them and say I don't want to claim and explain my partner will be moving in soon, I don't mind paying council tax for a few months as my partner has already offered to cover this after they move in as I think it's usually issued as a yearly sum. My only concern is that they might decide this is all very strange and throw more paperwork and maybe even investigations my way! Will it look dodgy? Can I word it better? I just don't see the point making a claim to cancel it the next week even if it is backdated for the last couple of months? I am going to cancel my HB etc at the same time anyway?

Am I being unnecessarily paranoid? You can tell I've been in the system a long time.

Thanks very much!

Edited by gentlemadperson