• Tweets

• Just as the title says, if ever there was a good reason to ditch Micro$oft and move to Linux then this is it :-   Giving Windows total recall is a privacy minefield • The Register WWW.THEREGISTER.COM It's only a preview, and maybe it should stay there ... forever Help is available, most modern PC's can run a version of Linux suitable for your needs and it is not difficult to use or learn. Ubuntu is popular, new version is very modern Garuda Linux is the one I use, based on Arch, rolling release, bang up to date. I have friends and acquaintances, old and young, PC Literate and not. Most people who try it never go back to Windows Hamster
    • I've had to hide two of your posts.  Anyone clicking on your links gets sent to external sites.  On top of that your real name is showing on one screenshot.  Fellow Site Team member dx100uk has already politely asked - Anyway, jk2054 wants to see the communication you got from your local court which will have told you about the hearing date of 17 June, and will have mentioned a deadline for filing your Witness Statement.
    • I believe it is helpful to seek guidance from a range of places and decide on the validity of the sources and frequency of responses which are most helpful. A single voice can be a dangerous thing. As, of course, can groupthink. Scott, it feels like £4k on a solicitor for a £1.5k bill is overkill. Were we back in time I'd suggest small claims court as your claim sounds like it may be straightforward? By all means add that phrase on. I also suggest you contact the court and go and sit in on a couple of similar cases to get a better understanding before you shell out.
    • a card should be 16 digits...urm... note your dates above please. do not miss them no matter what happens  ......................... pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .. get a CCA Request running to the claimant . https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/ .. Leave the £1 PO unsigned and uncrossed . get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ . .use our other CPR letter if the claim is for an OD or Telecom Debt or Util debt]  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ on BOTH type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northamton, civil national business centre Name of the Claimant ? PRA Group Uk Portfolios ltd. How many defendant's  joint or self ? self Date of issue –  21 May 24 date of AOS - 07-06-2024 date for filing defence by - 21-06-2024 Particulars of Claim 1. The claimant claims the sum of £5600 for an outstanding debt owed. 2. On Mar 2000 the Defendant entered into an agreement with Barclays Bank Uk PLC for a credit card under reference ( 11 digit ref ). 3. on Mar 21 the defendant defaulted on the agreement  with an outstanding balance of £5600. 4. On Aug 21 the debt £5600 was assigned to PRA Group (UK) Limited, who itself assigned the debt to PRA Group UK Portfolios Ltd on Dec 23. 5. Notices of assignment were sent to the defendant in accordance with S136 Law of Property act 1925. 6. The claimant has instructed PRA Group (UK) Limited to act on its behalf in the recovery of the outstanding debt and to pursue litigation on its behalf. AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS 1. The sum of £5600 What is the total value of the claim? £6100  Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? No - just emails threatening action   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? Yes   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? no Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? credit card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? before - in 2000   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? I don't recall - I suspect post / online   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? am awaiting access - but I suspect it is    Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. assigned - debt purchaser has issued the claim   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Pretty certain - Yes   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? pretty certain - Yes   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? there's been gaps - they went very quiet  Why did you cease payments? Covid lockdowns  What was the date of your last payment? i thought it was 2020 - they say 2021 Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? no Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? no
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lewis debt/howard cohen/santander

Pjfothergill
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so I hope to get a reply.

A year or two ago I stupidly got a topman credit card (provided by santander) and acquired about £400 worth of debt. I was happily paying Santander back the minimum each month, I went travelling abroad and was still paying the debt back but when I returned to the UK in April, I missed the payment for that month and as such my direct debit was cancelled (not by me).

I found the relevant email address on Santander's website and informed them that I had indeed missed a payment, and that I was currently unemployed with no funds but very willing to continue paying off the debt with the minimum each month and asked whether it was possible to freeze my account for a month. I heard nothing back and so sent them a follow up email to the same address with the original email attached.

I tried calling them but go through to no-one and was suddenly receiving letters from Viking debt collectors (I think) and then more recently, Lewis Debt Collectors.

I chose to ignore these as I had tried to get in touch with Santander themselves and did not see it as fair for my debt to be sold on.

Today (24th August 2011), I received a letter from Howard Cohen Solicitors threatening court action for the amount (including fees now £515). I sent a CCA letter today asking them to provide all details of my agreement within 12 days (I've heard that they can buy debt illegally?)

I am worried that if in the next 12 days they do in fact provide my original agreement and threaten to take me to court, what my options are. I had sent Santander emails telling them I was willing to pay the debt bit by bit.

I am still currently unemployed and cannot afford a great deal. Have I gone about this in the correct manner? What is likely to happen next?

Many thanks,

Pj

You need to establish if the account has been passed to Howard Cohen & Co for collection or has the account been "assigned" to a third party. Is their a "Notice of Assignment" within the letter?

Or, on the letter from Howard Cohen & Co does it say they are acting on behalf of their client Santander Cards UK Limited?

Make an immediate token payment of £1 to Santander Cards UK Limited and continue to do so, then request direct from SantanderCards UK Limited a copy of all statements from the the month bfore you went travelling up until the present and a copy of a default notice (if any)

You are looking for a Notice of Arrears which will be included within a monthly statement of account and worded accordingly with the amount of minimum payment that was not recieved by the due date together with late payment fee and interest.

Howard Cohen & Co fool people by sending a printout of a couple of months of "Statements of Account" under the pretext "the state of the account" you will see this is usually for 2 consective months WAY AFTER any alleged default notice was served, what you need to see is the 2 consective months BEFORE any default notice was alledged to have been served.

Keep all letters especially from Viking, can you post up dates of those letters? your emails are electronic proof you contacted the original creditor to seek a solution without the need for litigation.

I would email Howard Cohen & Co and insist on the name of the litigation Assistant who is dealing with this matter and who sent you the letter, an electronic signiture is not acceptable when threatening impending legal action

I'll keep an eye on your thread

Thank you for your prompt response.

Howard Cohen have kept their letter reasonably ambiguous. The letter itself is a NOTICE OF PENDING LEGAL ACTION with the subheading "RE: Santander Cards UK Limited - Amount Outstanding: £435.50"

However, they "urge" me to contact their client's collection agent, Lewis Debt Recovery.

I immediately sent Howard Cohen a CCA letter today along with a postal order of £1 - however I overlooked getting this done by recorded mail.

Forgive my naiveté but should I send Santander a letter explaining the situation further and requesting copies of previous statements and notice of arrears. Should I include a cheque for £1?

My worry is that if this was taken to court, I would not have a leg to stand on as all I did was send Santander a couple of emails explaining my situation but that I was happy to continue paying the debt.

I will try and find the viking letters (they should be dated may/june), the lewis ones are dated july/august.

Could you give me best/worst/most like scenarios based on my standpoint?

Many thanks for your help and advice

Pj

At this stage and from what you say, your account has not been "sold on" it was first handed to Viking Collections Limited and now lately "Howard Cohen & Co".

The Lewis Group is not Howard Cohen & Co's "client" (Santander Cards UK limited) collection agent, you are entitled to continue dealing and communicating direct with Santander Cards UK limited.

The Lewis Group is a company based at Riverside, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, BD19 4DH, from this building their employees unlawfully communicate to people under the guise of Lewis Debt Recovery, CL Finance Limited, or Howard Cohen & Co, in any event you are speaking to one person who wears whichever hat fits. The Lewis Group also disguises this by using PO Box numbers and electronic signatures on all correspondence and court summons.

Howard Cohen & Co is a trading name of Cohen Cramer Solicitors, based in Princes Street, Leeds, they keep a low profile of their true identity by using perception "Our Branch Based in Cleckheaton" The SRA list only one Solicitor (John-Paul Murphy) as at Howard Cohen & Co, Riverside, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, BD19 4DH.

All clever stuff.

In all probability "Howard Cohen & Co" will issue a summons against you, acting on behalf of Santander Cards UK Limited. Any defence must be based on points of law, the core issue will be did Santander Cards UK Limited act in accordance with the law and Consumer Credit Act 1974 when commencing legal action against you.

Did Santander Cards UK Limited, serve you 2 consecutive Notice of Arrears prior to any alleged Default Notice (Sec 86 CCA) if so, does the amount of arrears stated on the Default Notice tally with what is stated on the Notice of Arrears? dates are important.

The address to write to for Santander Cards UK Limited is as follows:

Ms Judith Cochrane

Financial Solutions Department

Santander Consumer Credit Services

PO Box 700

Leeds

LS99 2BD

The address for "Howard Cohen & Co":

Cramer Cohen Solicitors

T/as Howard Cohen & Co

Riverside

Cleckheaton

West Yorkshire

BD19 4DH

You may wish to send this to Santander to get the ball rolling whilst waiting for the correct statements of account, copy of Notice of Arrears and copy of any alleged Default Notice.

RE: Santander Cards UK Limited – Amount Outstanding

Dear Sir or Madam

In an effort to reach a satisfactory conclusion for both parties concerned in the above matter, I am willing to enter a compromise agreement by way of a concessionary repayment arrangement with Santander Cards UK Limited until such time my financial circumstances change

I enclose a copy of my updated income and expenditure account, the surplus of £x per month is allocated for account number xxxxxxxxxxxx.

I enclose payment of £x and look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mr XXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX

You would been seen by a court to be actively seeking a solution without the need for litigation, Tthe claimant would have to explain then why the matter could not be settled without the need of litigation

Ok thank you. Should I include copies of the emails I sent Santander explaining my financial situation?

If I cannot find the letters from Viking or Santander, is that pretty much bad news for me.

As far as I can tell, I need to send Santander the letter that you have put in your thread, along with a postal order. This would mean that I have made an effort and continued to make afford to solve the debt problem, and that the amount Howard Cohen are trying to take me to court for is no longer valid and they would affectively need to restart the whole process.

Many thanks

PJ

Hi PJ

yes include copies of your previous emails and the po for £1, they will need proof you are unemployed, there is no shame in being unemployed, if you have official documentation then send them a copy, remember you are dealing with the original creditor, so being honest with them will not hurt, your not dealing with a company who are claiming to have "bought" your account.

I would think Santander will send you a letter and enclose their own Income & Expenditure form, don't be alarmed by this, merely complete it photo copy it and return the original by recorded delievery.

Santander are like computers... you have to punch information into them!

The letters from Viking and Santander will help but don't become despondant if you cannot find them.

"Howard Cohen & Co" are acting on behalf of Santander, and whilst they want their pound flesh, by dealing with Santander direct "Howard Cohen & Co" are at a disadvantage.

You can tackle them once you receive a reply from Santander

Kind regards

Clive