• Tweets

• Hmmm, interesting point. In my career, that I am retired from now, there were an immense amount of rules and regulations that one had to adhere to by law. The qualification process is rigorous with on going assessments throughout your career and re-certification every 12 months. If you were shown to be not competent in those rules and regulations you could not hold the position and the operational consequences of that could potentially be dire. In the same respect, perhaps a judge who is not conversant in the rules of POFA should not sit in on cases that requires proficiency in that area? I also bow to your considerable knowledge in this area, perhaps I shouldn't be commenting but by doing so I find it helps the learning process. Your last point has just reminded me of something that may help my case, thank you.
    • Just had an email re the my breache in agreement by her rep.   I asked you yesterday if they had asked about her name in the thread being removed.   The issue they have is the Elizabeth turner and genetic pups entry on google.   they knew I did not put it up and told them so in court.  I dnt know how to post on google.   I told them I cannot remove what I did not post.  when i come back here and saw her name gone from threads title, I presumed her reps sought it.   now I get an email saying her names still on google ur breaching the agreement as it’s still on google.  
    • Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

South West Trains Ticket Confiscated

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, This is a long one!I wonder if anyone can help me. I travel Monday to Friday to Waterloo and then get a bus or the Tube to Holborn. For June and July I purchased a season ticket from London Road, Guildford to London Terminals including underground at a cost of around £330. The service is run by South West Trains.I have been living back in the UK since the end of May, mainly staying at my dad's in Guildford which is why my Season ticket originated there.However, I also travel to Pulborough in West Sussex on Thursday evenings, travel to London and back on a Friday and again to London on a Monday morning, always purchasing a separate ticket for these journeys.I worked out that I was not using the Season ticket from London to its full cost and therefore at the beginning of August when it was up for renewal, spoke to a ticket officer at London Road station and explained that as a general rule, my travel was as follows:Monday am PUL – VICMonday pm WAT - LRDTuesday LRD – WAT – LRDWednesday LRD – WAT – LRDThursday am LRD – WATThursday pm VIC – PULFriday PUL – VIC – PULTwice a month I will stay in North London with my cousin, therefore travelling on the Underground and not using my season ticket at all for two journeys.I asked him whether I could therefore buy a season ticket from Clapham Junction to London, and then daily buy tickets from either London Road or Pulborough depending on where I was travelling from/to. He said this was fine, and sold me said season ticket valid for a month, with a separate ticket for that day to and from London Road.Yesterday morning I woke up very, very late, got dressed and ran out the door and all the way to the station. I usually get the 0711 from London Road but yesterday arrived at 0720 as the 0721 was pulling in. So, I jumped on the train, sweating (nice), sat down and got my purse ready for when the inspector came through.She did so within about 5 minutes. Straight away I asked her if I could purchase a ticket from London Road to Clapham Junction. She asked to see all my tickets (I keep nearly all of them as there is no ticket barrier at London Road nor Pulborough). She took them and looked through, and then asked me to stand with her by the doors.She then told me I was under caution and read me the caution speech (You do not have to say anything etc etc). At this point I was a bit bewildered and asked her why I couldn’t buy a ticket as I had done so on two previous occasions, and she replied that it was not possible to buy tickets on the train (even though she had a portable ticket machine with her)She told me she was going to ask me some questions. She asked why I had a season ticket from Clapham to London if I was travelling from Guildford. I explained all the above.She then asked me to write down my name, address and telephone number in her notebook which I did willingly. She made a telephone call, I presume to check my address, and then proceeded to ask me whether the information I had provided was correct, and would I like to amend it? I confirmed it was, and that the reason she wouldn’t be able to verify it through the electoral roll, presuming that was what she was doing, was because I am not on the electoral roll and living at my dad’s temporarily, and we have different surnames because he is not my biological father. I showed her my driving licence to prove that my address was correct and she wrote down the number.She asked if it was my intention to travel without paying the fare and I assured her it wasn’t which is why I had been prepared with my card to pay the fare as soon as I got on board.She wrote all the questions along with my answers in her notebook and then asked me to sign and date, which I did. She then told me she was confiscating my ticket (valid for another two weeks), she would accompany me to Waterloo to let me through the barrier and that I was to go to Wimbledon station revenue office that evening to collect a receipt. After that she wouldn’t speak to me again other than to let me through at Waterloo.So last night I went to Wimbledon – revenue office was shut and nobody there could help me or knew what I was talking about. I spent 40 minutes there wandering around to absolutely no avail.So excuse the long explanation above – could anyone tell me what I can expect to happen next and do I have ANY say in the matter? I showed her several previous tickets to prove that I buy tickets every single day. I have nothing at all to show for what happened – no paper from her, no receipt, nothing. Many thanks in advance for the advice.

Hi everyone, This is a long one!I wonder if anyone can help me. I travel Monday to Friday to Waterloo and then get a bus or the Tube to Holborn. For June and July I purchased a season ticket from London Road, Guildford to London Terminals including underground at a cost of around £330. The service is run by South West Trains.I have been living back in the UK since the end of May, mainly staying at my dad's in Guildford which is why my Season ticket originated there.However, I also travel to Pulborough in West Sussex on Thursday evenings, travel to London and back on a Friday and again to London on a Monday morning, always purchasing a separate ticket for these journeys.I worked out that I was not using the Season ticket from London to its full cost and therefore at the beginning of August when it was up for renewal, spoke to a ticket officer at London Road station and explained that as a general rule, my travel was as follows:Monday am PUL – VICMonday pm WAT - LRDTuesday LRD – WAT – LRDWednesday LRD – WAT – LRDThursday am LRD – WATThursday pm VIC – PULFriday PUL – VIC – PULTwice a month I will stay in North London with my cousin, therefore travelling on the Underground and not using my season ticket at all for two journeys.

I asked him whether I could therefore buy a season ticket from Clapham Junction to London, and then daily buy tickets from either London Road or Pulborough depending on where I was travelling from/to. He said this was fine, and sold me said season ticket valid for a month, with a separate ticket for that day to and from London Road.Yesterday morning I woke up very, very late, got dressed and ran out the door and all the way to the station.

I usually get the 0711 from London Road but yesterday arrived at 0720 as the 0721 was pulling in. So, I jumped on the train, sweating (nice), sat down and got my purse ready for when the inspector came through.She did so within about 5 minutes. Straight away I asked her if I could purchase a ticket from London Road to Clapham Junction. She asked to see all my tickets (I keep nearly all of them as there is no ticket barrier at London Road nor Pulborough). She took them and looked through, and then asked me to stand with her by the doors.She then told me I was under caution and read me the caution speech (You do not have to say anything etc etc). At this point I was a bit bewildered and asked her why I couldn’t buy a ticket as I had done so on two previous occasions, and she replied that it was not possible to buy tickets on the train (even though she had a portable ticket machine with her)She told me she was going to ask me some questions.

She asked why I had a season ticket from Clapham to London if I was travelling from Guildford. I explained all the above.She then asked me to write down my name, address and telephone number in her notebook which I did willingly. She made a telephone call, I presume to check my address, and then proceeded to ask me whether the information I had provided was correct, and would I like to amend it? I confirmed it was, and that the reason she wouldn’t be able to verify it through the electoral roll, presuming that was what she was doing, was because I am not on the electoral roll and living at my dad’s temporarily, and we have different surnames because he is not my biological father. I showed her my driving licence to prove that my address was correct and she wrote down the number.She asked if it was my intention to travel without paying the fare and I assured her it wasn’t which is why I had been prepared with my card to pay the fare as soon as I got on board.She wrote all the questions along with my answers in her notebook and then asked me to sign and date, which I did. She then told me she was confiscating my ticket (valid for another two weeks), she would accompany me to Waterloo to let me through the barrier and that I was to go to Wimbledon station revenue office that evening to collect a receipt. After that she wouldn’t speak to me again other than to let me through at Waterloo.So last night I went to Wimbledon – revenue office was shut and nobody there could help me or knew what I was talking about. I spent 40 minutes there wandering around to absolutely no avail.So excuse the long explanation above – could anyone tell me what I can expect to happen next and do I have ANY say in the matter? I showed her several previous tickets to prove that I buy tickets every single day. I have nothing at all to show for what happened – no paper from her, no receipt, nothing. Many thanks in advance for the advice.

I have quoted the whole post, and seperated it in to paragraphs for you.

Ok, from the RPI's point of view, you boarded a train at an unbarriered station, and had a monthly travelcard valid between Clapham Junction and Zones 1 and 2 presumably. You also had in your possesion, I presume, the old Travelcards you used to use, which were valid from London Road (Guildford) to Zones 1 - 6 of London. What this clearly looks like, whether it be correct or not, is that you didn't want to pay £330 a month, so decided, bearing in mind that the trains from London Road to Waterloo are largely unchecked as far as tickets go, to try your luck getting to Clapham without being checked for a ticket, and the once in a blue moon you are checked, you'll pay the difference, meaning you still save a pretty penny.

Okay, now if there's enough evidence to suggest this, SWT will more than likely seek to prosecute you under S.5(3)b of the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 (RRA), which, in laymans terms states that you boarded a train with a ticket valid to to a station, and travelled beyond that station, in a deliberate attempt to defraud the company out part of the rail fare. RRA offences are PNC recordable, and can attract a fine on conviction of up to £1,000 and/or 3-months imprisonment. Realistically though, you'll tend to receive a fine equivalent to a weeks average wage (£350) plus costs etc, and a criminal record. Prison is reserved for subsequent offences of the same nature, and even then it's unlikely to happen, so try not to worry.

SWT will more than likely invite you in for a second interview regarding this alleged offence, as it is potentially a serious breach if it can be proved. If you genuinely didn't do any of the above intentionally, and SWT believe this, and the evidence suggests there's not enough proof to secure a RRA charge at the Magistrates' Court, they could use Railway Byelaw 18(1) which is a strict liability matter, and as such rerquires no intention on your part, to defraud the railway. The penalties are typically a lot less serious, although it'll still be a Criminal case heard by Magistrates.

I suggest you wait to hear what SWT have to say to you, as they'll be in touch usually in writing. You'll know then what they intend to do, and unfortunately you can't do much until this time.

Unfortunately for you, this is the most common [problem] on the railway.

You will need to convince SWT that you are a genuine case. Contact their customer services regarding your season ticket, this should speed up the process, keep all your receipts for the next 2 weeks as you will be able to get a refund on them.

Thank you to both of you for your prompt replies.I am concerned, and having read around the subject understand that SWT are one of the tougher companies to deal with. I throw my hands up and willingly admit that I should have purchased a ticket before I boarded the train on Tuesday, but as in the past I have been able to buy one on board (I think this has been two times) I assumed I would be able to do the same this time.With respect to the season ticket being from Clapham to London Terminals (not underground) I was told by the ticket person at London Road (where I purchased the ticket) that I would be able to purchase the same and then individually purchase tickets from London Road or Pulborough to Clapham J daily depending on where I was travelling from.I am going to continue to be completely honest with SWT and hope that they see the truth in this. Although I am sure they have heard it 100 times before, but I am not a law breaker - I have absolutely no prior convictions, a clean driving licence etc, and work for one of the largest law firms in the country so am well aware of the benefits of staying on the correct side of the law!Thanks once again for your speedy responses.

The fact that there is a growing number of 'chancers', boarding without paying in many areas is leading to a hard line being taken in many cases.

Clearly, you are aware that you did not hold a valid rail ticket, facilities were available to you to obtain a ticket before boarding and you did hold a ticket for a different journey, which would have allowed you to exit the barrier line without questioning at the London end.

A charge alleging either the strict liability breach of National Railway Byelaw 18.1 (2005) or 'intent to avoid a fare' contrary Section 5.3.a of The Regulation of Railways act (1889) might be considered in this case.

Occasionally, those making a genuine mistake in 'assuming too much' in relation to being allowed to pay on board might be caught up by the hard line responses. It is always the travellers responsibility to get a ticket before boarding where facilities are avalibale to them to do so.

A well written letter, expressing genuine remose for an uncharacteristic momentary lapse of attention, an apology to the staff concerned and explanation of the complexity of your regular travel along with an offer to pay the fare and associated reasonably incurred administration costs may well get a good response.

• 2 months later...

Yesterday, three months after the above incident occurred, I received a letter from South West Trains. I did fear the worst, but after “careful consideration of the circumstances”, they have made me a “generous offer” to fine me £108.90 (£8.90 fare, £55.00 operational costs and £45.00 Administration and Prosecutor’s Costs) in order to settle the matter without prosecution. While I am still angered by this whole situation (despite wholeheartedly agreeing that I should have had a ticket before boarding the train), I am going to pay the fine and settle the matter. I’ve only spent £2400 on rail tickets since May, what’s another £100?! The question now is where I should send the signed letter agreeing to payment, as no information is given in their letter in this respect…Thanks again to everyone for their time and advice.

The letter has three addresses on it, and I plan to send the signed acceptance of the fine to all three along with a covering note explaining my reason for this.

With regards to payment of the fine, the letter reads: If you accept this offer to conclude this matter without recourse to court action, please sign and print your name below and return to Stagecoact South Western Trains Limited within fourteen days of the above date.

Postal orders may be made payable to South West Trains and payment by CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS (CHEQUES or SOLO/ELECTRON cards are not accepted) can be made by telephone (Tel No: 023 8072 8022) between the hours of 10:00hrs and 16:00hrs, Monday to Friday (Excluding Bank Holidays). It is a very busy line, so I apologise if you hear a busy tone – but your call will be answered as soon as a member of staff is free.

If you choose to settle by Credit/Debit card over the telephone, please allow three working days for your correspondence to reach Stagecoach South Western Trains Limited. PAYMENT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IF YOUR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT SLIP HAS NOT BEEN RECEIVED.Once payment has been received and cleared, this matter will be closed.

If you disagree with the above generous offer, or do not respond within 14 days from the above date, this matter will proceed to prosecution at Guildford Magistrates Court at our earliest opportunity. Stagecoach South Western Trains Limited will forward the appropriate SUMMONSES and COURT BUNDLE at least 14 days prior to the first hearing date.Yours sincerely

The letter has three addresses on it, and I plan to send the signed acceptance of the fine to all three along with a covering note explaining my reason for this.

With regards to payment of the fine, the letter reads: If you accept this offer to conclude this matter without recourse to court action, please sign and print your name below and return to Stagecoact South Western Trains Limited within fourteen days of the above date.

Postal orders may be made payable to South West Trains and payment by CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS (CHEQUES or SOLO/ELECTRON cards are not accepted) can be made by telephone (Tel No: 023 8072 8022) between the hours of 10:00hrs and 16:00hrs, Monday to Friday (Excluding Bank Holidays). It is a very busy line, so I apologise if you hear a busy tone – but your call will be answered as soon as a member of staff is free.

If you choose to settle by Credit/Debit card over the telephone, please allow three working days for your correspondence to reach Stagecoach South Western Trains Limited. PAYMENT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IF YOUR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT SLIP HAS NOT BEEN RECEIVED.Once payment has been received and cleared, this matter will be closed.

If you disagree with the above generous offer, or do not respond within 14 days from the above date, this matter will proceed to prosecution at Guildford Magistrates Court at our earliest opportunity. Stagecoach South Western Trains Limited will forward the appropriate SUMMONSES and COURT BUNDLE at least 14 days prior to the first hearing date.Yours sincerely

You've answered your own question there, surely? ;)