reality tv filming in office

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4618 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

there is a reality tv film crew about to start filming in our office, our office is small and only has around 10 people. I have not signed anything yet but wanted to know my legal position on this. I have no desire to feature in this what so ever as the film crews previous projects have all been trashy reality tv. I have asked if they will pixilate my face when the camera is panning accross our office and they said this would be too time consuming for their editing team and that I should just put up with it but this is causing alot of sleepless nights for me as I am worried about the final program. All I ask for is my identity to be hidden, i dont mind them filming with me in the background of the shot as long as my face and voice is not featured.

What steps should i take to enforce this?

Hello there. I would be annoyed about this too.

I don't pretend to know the rules and haven't googled this yet, but I thought usually you signed to agree that you could be broadcast. You see lots of people who are pixellated out, don't you? Or they're just left out of the shot.

It doesn't sound right that you should be forced to do this, I look forward to reading what replies you get.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello again. I don't know if this will help or not, but it's what the Ofcom website says [some of it] about privacy.

Consent

8.5 Any infringement of privacy in the making of a programme should be with the person's and/or organisation's consent or be otherwise warranted.

8.6 If the broadcast of a programme would infringe the privacy of a person or organisation, consent should be obtained before the relevant material is broadcast, unless the infringement of privacy is warranted. (Callers to phone-in shows are deemed to have given consent to the broadcast of their contribution.)

8.7 If an individual or organisation's privacy is being infringed, and they ask that the filming, recording or live broadcast be stopped, the broadcaster should do so, unless it is warranted to continue.

8.8 When filming or recording in institutions, organisations or other agencies, permission should be obtained from the relevant authority or management, unless it is warranted to film or record without permission. Individual consent of employees or others whose appearance is incidental or where they are essentially anonymous members of the general public will not normally be required.

• However, in potentially sensitive places such as ambulances, hospitals, schools, prisons or police stations, separate consent should normally be obtained before filming or recording and for broadcast from those in sensitive situations (unless not obtaining consent is warranted). If the individual will not be identifiable in the programme then separate consent for broadcast will not be required.

I wonder if it would be worth contacting Ofcom to see if they have any advice for you?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

HB excellent bit of research.

8.8 "Individual consent of employees or others whose appearance is incidental or where they are essentially anonymous members of the general public will not normally be required."

Doesn't sound to me that 10 people in an office is incidental or essentially anonymous.

I think they should get your specific consent to film you.

Perhaps you could show your boss this and say whatever advice you have from Ofcom and ask to be excused from the project.

I would imagine the company are being paid and merely telling you what to do but I doubt they have the authority to do so.

....... unless you get paid for your stardom on said Trashy show...... !!!!!!!

Since the business is "private property" then I should think they would need the agreement of anyone appearing.

Hand the camera crew an invoice for a couple of grand - it can have the clause that conducting any filming with you within the "frame" of the camera will be considered acceptance of your terms and conditions :D

Maybe point out to your Boss, or the crew that filming you without permission, when its not "out in the street" is in fact a breach of Article 8 of the Human Rights Act

I believe the only "exemption" from Article 8 a Camera Crew could claim is the following:

"in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others."

Does any of that fit you and your workplace? :D

I would also ask them to present to you in writing their claim that they "cant pixelate you because it takes time" ;)

I would express your concerns, and specifically your refusal to be filmed to your boss - there is no contractual obligation in your contract to be filmed by reality tv I would imagine, so put a grievence in beforehand.

Also write to the production company, recorded delivery absolutely refusing to give consent to being filmed - they would be rather silly, and potentially stung for a lot of money if they were go ahead - and from a bit of googling - your management cannot "give" consent on your behalf.

If they suddenly change their mind and say they can pixelate you, then get that in writing.

Are there lots of you in the office who don't wish to be filmed? If so, maybe a group meeting with manegement and tell them you will all simply wear balaclavas to work that day, and source suits/clothes with the sort of pattern that upsets tv cameras ;)

From googling again, another sneaky manouvre to watch out for, is them sticking up a little notice somewhere in the office, saying they will be filming and entering is giving consent - something like the claims of private car parks with their little signs that parking is "entering into a contract"

Yours, an awkward bugger :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]