• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First Plus PPI and Interest Help....please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

FirstPlus PPI and Interest Help....please....

Hi guys..looking for a wee bit of advice.

In June of 2002 myself and my wife took out a First Plus loan to consolidate our debt. The loan value was £25,000 and £6122.50 was added for PPI giving a total loan of £31122.50. We, in common with many others on the forum feel we were mis-sold this PPI as we had no idea at the time of the implications and obviously subsequent hardship that this has caused us. Now 9 years in,based on current monthly payments we still have approx £30,000 to pay until the loan reaches its 15 year term....Similar to others we were in a pretty desperate place at the time and this was probably the only option that was available to us. I cannot remember being told of any of the potential downsides to this loan agreement, as far as I can re-call it was all positive ( maybe thats what I wanted to hear as we were desperate), but I do remember the PPI being very positively pushed, with the reimbursement of our fees paid being a big selling point.

That said, we did get a cheque for £5927.88 back in 2007 (strange figure now I look at it when we were charged £6122.50) which was all good at the time, but it still never dawned on us that we would still be paying interest on this initial charge, or even in fact that we would be paying interest on the £6122 from the beginning.

My question is, can I claim for anything regards this ? It was certainly never pointed out to us that this would be the case, all through the loan arrangement it was £25000 was the figure that kept being talked about, and in our own heads it was £25,000 that we were borrowing.

Can I do anything to claim back the interest paid on this to date and/or have the loan figure adjusted to remove this £6122 from the calculations in the future ?

If I can, it would be much appreciated if someone can point me in the right direction....

many thanks

yes ofcourse you can

just start a new claim as if you had never gotten a refund

then just deduct what they have refunded from your new claim total..

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx...I've just read the link you gave me....certainly seems its worth a shot.

Looking at it, I don't really fall into any of the specific categories quoted but the closest would be under "what’s the position on the refund of premiums, where the loan is paid off early (or re-arranged)?"

I've no problem with searching the forums to find the answers, but if you can, or anyone else let me know the steps I should now follow it made make it a bit easier to start off.

Do I first write to First plus or the FOS ? I think it should be Firstplus from what I've read, and give them eight weeks to respond. Is that correct ?

Either way, should I send a detailed breakdown of what the amount is I am claiming back. If that's the case, maths not being my strong point a help with that would be massively appreciated.

I'm off to search the forum now and see if I can find the info.

Thanks again..

Hi

Download a consumer questionnaire from the fos website and complete it.

Prepare a schedule of claim.

I've attached a spreadsheet you can use to help with this. Just enter each ppi payment you made and it will work out the 8% interest for you. You enter these payments in the list section underneath the coloured bits. You only enter list data in columns A, B and C. Then just change your personal information in the blue section. You will need to make adjuistments for the final payment you made on the loan when you settled it less any rebate you got at that time.

If you need help with this part just shout and I can give you a hand.

Send a preliminary reclaim letter to your lender setting out the reasons for the mis-sale and enclose a copy of the spreadsheet and the consumer questionnaire.

Regards

ims

StatIntSheet.xls

Thanks ims...i found that spreadsheet earlier, the one you helped "Eggie" with.

For my case, on my loan agreement I do not have a breakdown of how much of my monthly payment was for repayment to the loan and how much was for payment protection. Do you know how I can work this out ? The only figures quoted are,

Amount of Advance £25000

Optional PP premium £6122.50

Total Loan £31122.50

Monthly Interest rate 1.019%

Estimated Number of monthly payments 180

Monthly payment £378.10

looking back at it now it doesn't even have the APR on it, they used the monthly rate to make it look a lot smaller interest rate than it actually was !!

I am still currently paying back the loan, so what I put on the spreadsheet is ? :

Monthly payment for PPI once I find this out, up untill the 5 years had passed when they rebated the £5927

It would then be the statutory interest that I claim back ? As the interest rate was increased by them over the course of the five years and since, I take it I can't just simply take the £6122 and divide it by 60 to get the monthly payment for PPI.

Also, at this stage do I ask for the £6122 to be taken off the loan amount and the loan re-calculated ?

Sorry for the many questions, but it seems the more I look into it and the more I read the forums it just throws up more questions...

Thanks

i would guess this:

6122.50 is 19.7% of the total loan

so 19.7% of £378.10=£74.38.

so you use the spready and enter this for each month you paid

then take the refund off the total

as long as £378.10 has remained your PCM

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just edited my original response...it made sense to me until I thought about it.

If my monthly payment for PPI is approx 74.38, then would it make sense to assume that the total paid to them would be 60 x 74.38 ?

If thats the case then it doesn't add up to the 6122 that they charged, nor to the 5927 that they refunded.

I'm now confused again...sorry guys

Edited by jimhammie

Doh

That dx guy got in while I was away and yes he's right with the figs. We'll have him writing complex spreadsheets next! :lol:

jimhammie....dont forget the £74.38 includes the interest they were charging you on the loan that's why you're having trouble reconciling.

Just as an aside, the monthly rate of 1.019 equates to an APR of 12.9%

Regards

ims

I think its me that should saying Doh !! Sorry again guys , I'm still struggling....

I don't understand how the total of my monthly payments for PPI (60 x £74.38 =£4462) would be less than the £6122 that they charged me, or even more puzzling why they would pay me £5927 back.

Sorry if I'm givin you guys a headache !!

I'll sleep on it and see if I can get the penny to drop...back tomorrow.

Cheers Jim

??

because you haven't actually physically paid all the ppi yet.

as for the £5927 - i'd have a guess they've added the statutory 8% to each PPI PCM you HAVE made, like they should in line with FOS guideline?

and i'd watchout ims, once i've got the BnB up and runnign next year, i just might have too much time on my hands

and start getting back into doing serious stuff that i long to do aGAIN, but dont have the time to presently - oh a man and his early retirement dreams.

dx

and they

Hi Jim

As dx suggests, their £5,927 may not be just a simple figure because we don't know what "pro rata" scheme they use for calculating rebates or whether they have given you some interest. Not that it matters because the way you calculate your claim will automatically give you the net figure that should be due back to you.

One of the points that crops up regularly is the fact that most single premium ppi policies attached to a loan account offer cover for a period of five years. People believe (mistakenly) that they stop paying for it at that point. This isn't the case.

Basically, a single premum is paid out right at the start of the loan. The bank loan you the money to cover that payment and add it onto your loan account at the outset and you pay for it over the lifetime of the loan. In your case, you would be paying for this ppi premium by way of 180 instalments. AND of course the bank charge you interest on the loan they have given you to pay that ppi premium.

So if you are 9 years into your 15 year loan, you have paid 9 years worth of repayments on that ppi loan.

Having established that 19.7% of each of your monthly payments goes to the ppi part of the loan, in the spreadsheet you need to enter 9 years worth of ppi repayments. This will then give you the figures for the ppi you have actually paid (including the bank's interest) and the sheet will also show the 8% stat int on those payments.

You then simply deduct whatever amount you have been rebated already and it doesn't matter whether they have added 8% to it or not because by simply taking one figure from another you arrive at the net amount you should be receiving back. As dx says, they may have added some interest but if they have done so then that will still be accounted for correctly when you deduct one figurefrom the other as I have described.

The only time you would have paid the total premium of £6,122 is when you reach the end of the loan term.

dx...when you get the BnB up, me and Mrs ims will have to come visit and help support your new venture.

Regards

ims