whateverhappens knowhow faulty laptop

strawberryscented
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

would appreciate if someone can read this over for me and let me know where i should stand, this is my recent email to whatever happens regarding my crap useless and expesive laptop that i want a replacement for the those grounds. this si the orginal email that explains everything

to whom it may concern,

Today (20th August 2011) I took my faulty hp DV32230EA entertainment laptop to the tech guys at the Kidderminster branch of PC World/Currys with an overheating issue which occurs only when watching video and also gaming. This is the third time I have needed to do this with this laptop.

The first 2 occasions were regarding the built in webcam. This problem was resolved on the second occasion. On both occasions the laptop had to be sent away and I had to go without a computer for a period of time. On the second occasion, after 2 weeks, I had not heard of the progress of my laptop repair and when I tried to contact staff at the store to ask, my calls were ignored. I called the ‘whateverhappens helpline’ who tracked the repair and told me that in two weeks the laptop had not yet left the store for repair. So, as you can imagine, this time I am particularly unhappy at having to repeat this fiasco.

I purchased this laptop on the recommendation of the store staff who assured me that it would more than meet my needs as the specs are high and it is primarily an "entertainment PC". At the price of £749.97, I was confident that it would be a reliable purchase. Instead, it has caused me numerous problems as it has not been able to do half the tasks I require of it. Each time I have to take the laptop back to the store, I have to spend hours backing up my files and reformatting (for my own security purposes).

This time around, I have completely lost my confidence in this laptop purchase and in your service. I expressed my concerns today to the tech guy in PC world who did not seem at all concerned or apologetic. When I asked how to go about getting a replacement, he informed me the laptop would need the same fault 3 times before a replacement would be considered. Another fault appears inevitable, and more importantly, I do not have the time for this sort of inconvenience. I would much prefer to use my laptop, rather than having to go without for 3-4 weeks at a time when a fault occurs. Over time, this will build up into months.

Due to the amount of times this product has failed me, I’m sure there is a general initial fault. This product does not live up to my requirements, or its price tag. I have also spent a further £200-to-date on the ‘whateverhappens policy’.

Based on these reasons, I would like you to consider refunding my purchase, or at least offering me an alternative product of the same value.

this was the reply

Dear Miss Harding,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in this response.

I was concerned to learn of the problems you have had with your product. While I understand that this may be undergoing its the 3rd repair, your agreement, provides for as many repairs as necessary. We would not replace a product unless this was deemed to be beyond repair or any single repair exceeded 28 days as outlined in the terms and conditions. With this in mind we have no option but to reject your request for a refund ot the product or a replacement.

I understand that this may not be the expected response, however, I trust it does serve to clarify the company's position on this occasion.

Yours sincerely,

then my reply....

Thank you for your response.

It concerns me that the company feels that it is acceptable to leave a customer with an obviously unreliable product, expect them to experience so many problems, and go without a laptop for so many weeks before you will consider a replacement, or refund. This is very poor customer service not to mention downright immoral. This situation is extremely inconvenient. As of today, I have been offered a commission and I am in dire need of my laptop for design and research purposes.

I ask that you reconsider my request for a replacement or refund, and this will reassure me that you are a reputable and reasonable company that I can continue to use and recommend in the future.

is there something i should be saying to get a result? thanks in advance

I think i'm right in saying that pc world are part of the dixons stores group so the policies should in theory all be the same, here goes, if the fault is the same fault and they have not repaired it within 28 days then they will exchange it for another laptop, unless you have the extended warranty, then its 21 days. can i assume that you are still within the manufacturers 12 month warranty period?

i know this becoz i had the same problem with currys (part of the DSG group) and thats what the repair people told me, i wasnt aware of it at the time but i got the product replaced with a like for like model. the only difference i can see here is that mine was a television but that shouldnt make any difference to the exchange policy.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

hi strawberryscented,

i can see the frustratration you are encountering from your post, firms just do not seem to care these days like they used to, whatever happened to "the customer is always right"? bad service, people in jobs who are useless, no correct training, you will have to keep onto them until they sort this out, do not ask them but tell them what you want, be more assertive, maybe one day companys will wake up and stop putting profits before customers and people, good luck with it, totiesquoties.

Edited by totiesquoties
corrected word

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol:

Their letter refers to the 28 day policy i was talking about, now if they cant fix the fault, regardless of how many times it has to go back to them, within 28 days of you first reporting that fault then you should get the laptop replaced. it may take a month to get what you want but the longer they have it, the better it is for you. the 28 day clock is ticking.

incidentally, when it had the problem with the webcam, did that repair process take more than 28 days? I mean for both repairs as it was the same fault. if it did then they should have replaced it then.

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

why did/are you wasting money on an extra ins policy - cancel it!

your beef is under SOGA - warranty is extra and aGAIN nothing to do with soga

they have 28days under 'their' policy to repair the laptop, on each occassion.

should they fail, under 'their' policy, they might well replace.

there are no 'rules' under soga that strictly stipulate how long they have each repair, its a company policy only

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i think you may well need to negotiate a bit with them. yes, they should have really replaced it for you after the first, recurring fault if that, in total took over 28 days to remedy, but of course they dont like to tell you that.

Try pointing it out and you may get somewhere although it depends how long ago the faulty webcam incident was, if it was while the laptop was under manufacturers 12 month warranty i see no reason why they wouldnt.

with regard to SOGA, again it depends on the circumstances. As i understand it, the fault would have to have been in the first 6 months of your purchasing it, that way the onus is not on you to prove it was a fault from the outset, if it was 6-12 months when the fault occurred, i think you have to prove it was a faulty laptop from the start.

Thats just my limited understanding of SOGA and i'm certain that if i'm incorrect, someone with greater knowledge and experience will put you right.

I'm not too sure if cancellling the warranty at the moment would be wise, as it stands its the only way your getting your laptop fixed, although, if you can negotiate the replacement of it they should also refund the warranty cost too. They would effectively give you a credit note to the total value for you to choose any other laptop or indeed any other item you wanted and just because you have the warranty with this laptop, doesnt mean you have to buy an extended warranty with the new one. Those warranties are roughly 55% pure profit for pc world.

well here is the new reply

Thank you for your email dated 22nd August 2011.

I understand your concerns regarding the reliability of the product however as I have already advised your agreement, provides for as many repairs as necessary. We would not replace a product unless this was deemed to be beyond repair or any single repair exceeded 28 day. This is keeping within the terms and conditions.

I have checked our records and note that the previous repair and the one prior to that was in regard to a faulty webcam which was resolved on each occasion. As there was a gap of approximately 5 months between each fault then this would be considered that the initial repair was completed to your satisfaction. The current problem is in regard to an overheating issue, unrelated to the previous ones encountered. As you have already been made aware we would not consider a poor service history unless the exact same fault had been reported a minimum of 3 times within a 6 month period or 5 times in a 12 month period.

Again I have no option but to reject your request for a refund of the product or a replacement.

Please accept my apologies as I am unable to offer any further advise regarding this matter.

so they are deadset on not resolving this for me, I've hit back with this

Thank you for your reply,

I would like the highlight the fact that the second fault with the webcam occurred very shortly after the first “repair”, I did not have time to return my laptop for further repairs at this time hence the 5 month gap., the time taken to successfully repair this fault over the 2 occasions was over 28 days, the laptop was also in warranty when the first fault occurred. So as the first fault took over 28 days to repair and occurred within the 12 month warrenty, I believe I am entitled to a replacement/refund on this basis.

I might also mention that the entertainments laptop in question is not capable of running “the Sims 3” ,playing a DVD, or streaming video. The specifications of my laptop are below, I do not wish to repeat myself but this laptop should be more then capable of the above tasks, the fact that it isn’t suggests that there is an Initial problem with the product, This product was faulty to begin with

I took out the whateverhappens plan in case of accidental damage, this was my biggest concern. I did not expect to encounter so many faults that are not down to my mishaps and misuse, but the poor quality of the product itself. For these reasons please reconsider my request for a replacement/refund. Should you still be disinterested in assisting me further in this matter I shall seek advice from trading standards.

Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6600 2.2 Ghz, Level 2 cache 2 MB

Memory: 4096 MB (2 x 2048 MB), supports up to 8 GB DDR2 memory

Storage: 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm, up to 12 GB partition for system recovery

LightScribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support, SATA optical drive - Create silkscreen-quality disc labels direct from your PC with LightScribe: Just burn, flip, burn.

5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

Mobile entertainment: HP Pavilion Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone, VGA low-light, HP Mini Remote Control

Communication: Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth wireless networking, 1 ExpressCard/34 Slot

Display: 13.3 inch High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display With Integrated Multi Touch-screen

Display Resolution: 1366 x 768

Video: NVIDIA GeForce G 105M, up to 2302 MB total graphics memory with 512 MB dedicated

Sound: Altec Lansing speakers

i don't think the warretnly has been a waste of money as these repairs so far would have cost an arm and a leg, but like i said they are faults with the laptop that shouldn;t be occuring, which seems a little difficult to get rhrough their big stupid heads

no the warranty is free for 12mts, you brought extra cover, but both a worthless.

soga covers all of what you have paid 'extra' for - just like PPI - its a spoof that you even need it.

you would still have gotten the faults repaired FOC under SOGA.

soga still applies now, end of.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/

sadly what the retailer are saying is quite correct. [and are already laughing at you for paying more money to get the extended warranty]

in all truth, you've already paid for the repairs they have done.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no the warranty is free for 12mts, you brought extra cover, but both a worthless.

soga covers all of what you have paid 'extra' for - just like PPI - its a spoof that you even need it.

you would still have gotten the faults repaired FOC under SOGA.

sadly what the retailer are saying is quite correct. [and are already laughing at you for paying more money to get the extended warranty]

in all truth, you've already paid for the repairs they have done.

dx

thanks for the info, so do i stiull take thus up with whatever happens or with the store?

where you brought it from

dx

and they

aah! you didnt say there was a 5 month gap between the first two repairs. Unless this latest fault takes 28 days you are flogging a dead one. thanks for the SOGA clarification DX.