style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have recently moved back into my parents house after 3 years with my partner. We're waiting on getting a new flat.

Bailiffs (Rossendales) have turned up at my parents house today with a letter saying Bailiff Removal. They say i have 24 hrs to pay £2422.78 in council tax (which i thought was already being paid the an Attachment of Earnings, apparently not)

Now i wasnt in, i was at work. My dad says they did enter the property, but he didnt sign anything, and they didnt make a list of goods they were going to take when they come back in less than 24hrs.

This is an impossible amount of money to try and find. They say they are going to turn up at my partners house too. They havent been there yet.

I phoned the Debt Helpline and they gave me alot of information, just a couple of things i have forgot to ask.

1. Can they force re-entry and take stuff even though there is no levvy and nothing has been signed? He only dropped the letter off, but was in the house.

2. Should i phone them in the morning and let them no that they cant take anything cos he doesnt have a levvy? and therefore no to bother coming back and i will make arrangements to pay

and 3. What happens if no-one is in tomorrow. Im at work and so is my mam, but my dad is off. We were all going to stay home, but were wondering what would happen if we werent in.

Thank you for any help

what?

they can't do anything of the sort

its your parents house not yours!

and there are NO rights of forced entry on council tax debts anyhow

just trying to spoof you.

there is no such letter

you need to contact the council first thing and findout what this is all about.

dont believe a word rossers says.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So even if they've already been in, they cant come back in and start taking stuff cos they don't have a levvy?

What if no-one is in the house, and all doors and windows are locked?

Thank you for responding so soon, im freaking out they are going to come and make a scene in my parents nice, quiet street

I assume as you are living at home you have very few possessions there. They can only seize the possessions of the debtor and if you have nothing there then there would be nothing they can seize. Just because they have been allowed in once does not give them an automatic right of entry again. They may indeed threaten all sorts but in reality can do very little. Of major concern is the amounts that you owe and the fact you appear to have failed AoE as also your employer could be in trouble. You need to contact the Council quite urgently as the next step could be a Committal Hearing, to offset this you must start to make payments ASAP - this can be done using the Council website or automated phone line. Pay a regular amount on a weekly basis possibly - £10 every Thursday?

You also need to know why your employer has failed to make deductions & how long has the situation been going on for before the Council have taken this step.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The bailiff said that the payments failed to go through. The council never got in touch with us to tell us this. and we have had no contact since, even though they know we are back at our parents. We moved out of the address with the arrears in May.

I dont think my parents want any of my stuff! The little stuff that is there is crowding the place out enough as it is! The rest of our belongings, and anything of value is in storage.

The bailiff said that the payments failed to go through. The council never got in touch with us to tell us this. and we have had no contact since, even though they know we are back at our parents. We moved out of the address with the arrears in May.

I dont think my parents want any of my stuff! The little stuff that is there is crowding the place out enough as it is! The rest of our belongings, and anything of value is in storage.

You misunderstand the meaning, you "sell" the goods for £1 and borrow them back, they are not then yours and the bailiff cabnnot touch them as the ownership of them has changed putting them out of reach of the bailiff. This must be done before any levy though.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Just a thought ....... Have you spoken with your company payroll dept? They're under legal obligation to deduct Attachment to Earnings but if your salary/wages fall below a certain threshold, then they're not obliged to make any deductions that week/month. Failing that, it might just be a complete failure to adhere to the Attachment to Earnings Order, then your employer would have been notified in writing and given a date by which to remedy that failure.

Hope you sort it out.

Impecunious! :smile: