Council Tax Problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am having major issues with my local council and would like some tips on how to handle the latest mess please.

I hold my hands up to the fact I pretty much didnt pay a penny towards my council tax in 2010 and as I wanted to avoid the nightmare of bailiff visits I contacted the council to set up an arrangement to pay this years and last years at a rate of £178 per month until the end of February.

I have maintained this agreement since it was initially set up in May and paid when I get paid at the end of the month, but have had issues ever since!!!

The first was a letter in June stating that I had not kept to the arrangement and needed to pay immediately. I had lengthy discussions with a manager from the contact centre and he agreed to put the arrangement back in place to start on 1st July as I explained I get paid at the end of the month and would pay then.

I then paid the installment due for 1st July on 26 June and the payment due for 1st August on 26 July.

Today I have received a reminder telling me to pay £178 in 7 days from 15 August which is Monday or my arrangement to pay will be stopped. Also stated in this letter is the amount now owed for the year 2011 which would seem to show that all the payments I have made to date have come off this years bill and nothing off last years.

I am awaiting a call back from the manager (I have been waiting since 10.00, apparantly he is in a meeting!!!) I spoke to in June (conveniently he didnt make notes on my account!!!!) and want to really give it to him as I am struggling with this payment as it is and letters like this cause nothing but stress and upset to my family.

Any advice greatfully received.

This is the problem when you make arrangements like this. In theory very simple and you know what you are doing. Unfortunately the Council computer does not know and cannot differentiate at all. If you are getting no where get hold of your local Councillor(s) this weekend and ask them to fire the bullets on Monday morning.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for your reply. I have now had a call back from the council who cant understand why I received a reminder as my payment plan is actually £1 in credit! What's the betting that I get another reminder this time next month!!!