Crafty Abbey

heppy23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was expecting to get hit for £30 and £20 any day now (for a DD going through taking me £9 overdrawn).

Just checked my balance online and some debits have gone out.

First two are the charges. Next three are direct debits.

The charges took me to -£3.96 then the three DD's have taken me to -£77.21.

Will have to see what turns up in the post. I suppose they will charge me for the OD even though the transaction that took me OD was their ILLEGAL and PUNITIVE charges.

What will be interesting though it this. I transferred £1400 out of savings into my instant plus on Saturday (in branch). When I got home I went online and moved £600 into my bank account (the one that has been hit today) and nearly £800 into my esaver.

Now the available balance on the bank account is showing at £600 odd and has done all weekend so if they hit me for charges i will be furious as I have made a big effort to ensure I have sufficient funds.

I think what abbey do is apply the debits to your accounts at midnight (their illegal charges first) then about 7 or 8 am the credits get applied. This leaves several hours where things look badly wrong. Of course these days there is no reason why accounts can't be completely live but they will no doubt blame the computers.

It is, of course, more money I will be having back off them!

Abbey (Charges on 3 accounts and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 30/03/06 - 40 days limit is 9th May - Recieved DPA printouts 05/04/06 with microfiche "fob off" letter. <p>Barclaycard (Charges on 1 account and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 03/04/06 - 40 days limit is 13th May - Recieved some statements 08/04/06 along with DPA printout and a microfiche "fob off" letter. Claim for £340 sent 11/04/06

I think they have reworded the terms they use on ebanking statements.

Charge for clearing Direct Debit/Standing Order while overdrawn £30.00

Charge for an overdraft that has not been authorised £20.00

It's a chicken and egg thing - if they didn't clear the DD/SO then they wouldn't have to charge me £30 would they?

Abbey (Charges on 3 accounts and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 30/03/06 - 40 days limit is 9th May - Recieved DPA printouts 05/04/06 with microfiche "fob off" letter. <p>Barclaycard (Charges on 1 account and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 03/04/06 - 40 days limit is 13th May - Recieved some statements 08/04/06 along with DPA printout and a microfiche "fob off" letter. Claim for £340 sent 11/04/06

The plot thickens, the available balances have all altered but the ebanking statements still show me overdrawn on current account.

They've done this to me in the past - I've transferred money in overnight to cover the DD's I know will be comiong in and it shows up ok on online statement but then when the paper statement comes - it shows the dd coming out first - making me od and then the credits coming in to clear it - after the event!!

I now transfer the money in 24 hours before hand , which can be a pain sometimes - esp if you can't get to a pc or out to an ATM.

Data Protection Act letter posted to Abbey 03/04/06

Delivered on 06/04/06

Cheque to Abbey for DPA Cleared 10/04/06

40 days up on 16/05/06

2nd letter for statements sent 17/05/06

Letter to DPA sent and received 19/05/06

Court proceedings issued for £819 + Costs 06/06/06

Offer of £490 received and accepted 02/07/06

Statements 03/04 received 07/07/06

The current story is that the transfer in on the first is visible on the ebanking statement so it still shows me going into an OD this morning. So they show transactions up to the 1st then it jumps to the 3rd then back to the 1st!

I will keep an eye on it and will send a nasty letter.

Just let them dare send me one first!!

Are you going to send them an invoice charging them for the letter you have sent?

LOL

Data Protection Act letter posted to Abbey 03/04/06

Delivered on 06/04/06

Cheque to Abbey for DPA Cleared 10/04/06

40 days up on 16/05/06

2nd letter for statements sent 17/05/06

Letter to DPA sent and received 19/05/06

Court proceedings issued for £819 + Costs 06/06/06

Offer of £490 received and accepted 02/07/06

Statements 03/04 received 07/07/06

Yeah, an "admin fee" for the hassle of checking it and worrying about it.

Their real fee is that the will soon be losing me as a customer after 30 years but I suspect they won't give a toss.

Take screenprints!

Have done, luckily (or not) I was up on and off most of night with strange sore throat that got worse when I laid down.

I have got to reinstall photoshop so I can blank bits out then I will post them.

Might put them into a letter to abbey asking them to explain why allocating debits first has caused this problem. The "system" seems geared towards "helping" the customer make a boo-boo.

I was expecting to get hit for £30 and £20 any day now (for a DD going through taking me £9 overdrawn).

Just checked my balance online and some debits have gone out.

First two are the charges. Next three are direct debits.

The charges took me to -£3.96 then the three DD's have taken me to -£77.21.

Will have to see what turns up in the post. I suppose they will charge me for the OD even though the transaction that took me OD was their ILLEGAL and PUNITIVE charges.

What will be interesting though it this. I transferred £1400 out of savings into my instant plus on Saturday (in branch). When I got home I went online and moved £600 into my bank account (the one that has been hit today) and nearly £800 into my esaver.

Now the available balance on the bank account is showing at £600 odd and has done all weekend so if they hit me for charges i will be furious as I have made a big effort to ensure I have sufficient funds.

I think what abbey do is apply the debits to your accounts at midnight (their illegal charges first) then about 7 or 8 am the credits get applied. This leaves several hours where things look badly wrong. Of course these days there is no reason why accounts can't be completely live but they will no doubt blame the computers.

It is, of course, more money I will be having back off them!

Hi, new to this but to add to your coment about Abbey taking payments out before credits go in; i can clarify that it is what they do.

I have statements showing them taking money out at 8.50am making me overdrawn then crediting my account with my wages at 9.05am in the same day. Then they have charged me for going overdrawn.

I did query it at my local branch and was told to manage my money better and there was nothing they could do because it was the way that their computer systems worked. In 19 months i have been charged £2770 and could go back much further but haven't got that far yet.

my ebanking statement still shows me in the red on the third before the money going in on the first is added. I wonder how long it will stay like that?

be interesting to see how the printed statement compares.

Both my husband and myself worked for banks in our earlier careers.My husband working in the IT side of things and me working for a different bank customer facing.

He always complained that the banks were crafty about their overnight processing. The debit tapes(long time ago) were ALWAYS run first then the credit tapes were run.Looks like nothing has changed then!!

We are just in the process of starting to sort our younger sons charges with the

Abbey.Will be posting progress at present awaiting statements

Kathy

Kathy

Claiming for younger son .

Data Protection Act letter sent to Abbey recorded delivery 22/08/06(Abbey recvd 24/08/06)

Microfiche argument letter received from Abbey(Pam Speed)

Calculated charges £957 plus interest

Letter sent asking for it back 20/09/2006

Received letter from Head of Complaints dated 20/09/2006

Posted 2nd class(cheapskates)

Sent letter before action.5/10/2006

13/10/2006 £880 in bank account yipee

Still haven't heard if they are going to charge me for this episode.

I've done nothing wrong as the available balance was plenty all along but i wouldn't put it past them.

• 3 years later...

This will be the same Abbey that I have a Visa Electron card with that is NOT to authorise payments if there are insufficient funds who then allowed a card payment in Currys to be processed taking me £2.96 O/D for which they happily charged me £38! Happy Christmas from Santander...

This will be the same Abbey that I have a Visa Electron card with that is NOT to authorise payments if there are insufficient funds who then allowed a card payment in Currys to be processed taking me £2.96 O/D for which they happily charged me £38! Happy Christmas from Santander...

Hah! That is exactly what they did to me. They refused to refund me. I complained more than once and eventually demanded they close my account. Guess what? They repaid back the charges and compensated me further for the stress caused. Might be worth a try.

The same bank account with electron card and no overdraft, who although I cancelled a cheque and dds let the cheque go through some time later. when I raised the matter they apologised for putting cheque through in the branch and said would sort it out, over a year of bank charges later, they say name the person in the branch and if cant tough luck. They did didly squat and let it go on and on and on.

The fact the account was closing down and had no od in itself should have bounced the cheque surely.

I was closing account down due to shoddy way treat and misselling of loan.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to ask them to close the account but can't get another account with anyone else so gonna have to lump it I guess.

From my partners experience with Lloyds TSB and my parents with HBoS frankly rock, hard place and big stick up the arse comes to place.

• 9 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks