Mental Health cost me my job

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope someone can advise me, I was working for my employer for over 20 years , unblemished record never been sick or had any warnings , but was sacked with gross misconduct for drawing a moustache and beard on a picture of my director, Sounds nothing but I completely denied I did it even though I was caught on cctv and there was witnesses. And still even at the tribunual which i lost I denied it then at my appeal I denied it , I blew all my savings on lawyers and eventually lost my house , just ran out of money , A road to ruin.

Now just recently for the first time I decided to attend the GP and told him Im suicidal and feeling down , that was 4 months ago during which Ive been getting Counselling and medication, I seem to have a grasp on life now and feel well , but have to refer to notes and minutes to what happened on my sacking and tribunuals . My GP says I never recovered from the death of my wife who suffered for years with M.S , and I should have asked for help sooner but understands I wouldnt be aware at times what I was doing. My wife died just prior to my sacking.

In reading the minutes of my Industrial tribunual , my boss said to the tribunual ,he would not have sacked me if I owned up to it . What planet was I on , how Ive messed up. but its a blur.

Is there anything any channels I can go through to explain to someone that I was ill , even though I.T deadlines to appeal to senior courts have have passed 6 months now....

Hello there and welcome to CAG. I'm sorry to hear about all your problems, but at least you have help now and you seem to have made good progress.

I don't know if you can reopen the ET, if that's what you're asking. Could I ask what outcome you would like from what you're suggesting please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi billy

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Mental illness is a rarely understood illness among employers and no doubt many will run a mile just to not acknowledge it.

I have to be honest and say that I cannot think of a reason why an employer will want to take you back on after they have had all the bother of sacking you, defending themselves in a Tribunal and having to pay their own legal fees.

I think the best thing for you to do is try and accept you got it wrong..... and maybe the illness contributed but that there is nothing that can be done to remedy it.

I would be interested in finding out why you drew the moustache and beard on the picture of your director? Was he responsible for something eg bullying, pressure of work that sort of thing?

It is good that you have sought medical help, that is the first step to getting better. I hope you have considered benefits such as DLA ESA Housing benefit etc. If you have not then perhaps you should?