Forgotten to inform Council no longer eligable for single occupancy discount

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've literally just realised this evening, 6 months down the line... I get a 25% single occupancy discount on my council tax, and have been since January 2009. However my partner moved in with me in February this year.

I pay by direct debit so never even think about it going out each month, it just gets paid. I also earn a reasonable wage, so didn't even think about anything to do with any kind of benefits when he moved in. I also found out tonight I should inform Child Benefit (although I fail to see why this is...). That is the only other benefit I receive.

I'm now in a major panic. I emailed the council tonight asking for them to send me a form to complete for a change in circumstances. However what if they already know my partner moved in? His bank, work, car etc are all registered to my address. How dumb can one person be!

To make matters worse, something has just reminded me of a strange van which kept parking opposite every few days, for some weeks, for an hour or so in the evening. I put it down to this being an area where many elderly folk live, and perhaps it was a carer. But now its made me wonder! I never saw anyone getting in or out of it.

Bloody hell, am going to have to ring them in the morning. What will they say/do? Will it just be a simple case of repaying the discount for the last 6 months, or far far worse than this? If its worse than this, I'd lose my job.

Please advise me!

Its a genuine error and you are offering to repay the shortfall. Not sure what else I can say other than don't lose any sleep over it & wait for the amended CT bill to drop on your doormat.

Gez

Lol...... don't worry, panic sets into everybody at some time in their life :-)

You'll probably find that as its mid cycle for ct payments [assuming you pay monthly] they'll adjust the remainder of the instalments to collect any outstanding balance. Depends on the local council and their policy. To be honest, whatever payment schedule they offer for a relatively small sum it's prob not worth arguing over.

Gez

• Haha 1

Oi, bugger off to bed and get some sleep :-)

Do you really think you'll get a criminal record by forgetting to ask the council to adjust their records for the year? Not sure about you but I'd hope our judiciary have far better things to contemplate.

Gez

references to "Formal Cautions and Administrative Penalties" relate to social security benefit e.g. council tax benefit

if you are not in receipt of council tax benefit, they will not apply

councils do not generally take action in relation to late notice of change in discounts

just let them know, and they will amend your bill for current year, they will also amend last year's bill, so you should get 2 new bills

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

• 1 year later...
I really shouldn't google these kinds of things! I've just been reading about "Formal Cautions and Administrative Penalties" it seems that the latter would not leave a mark on my enhanced CRB, but the former would - is that correct?

THey can only issue an administrative penalty if you failed to tell them with a certain time of realising that there was an issue. I think it is 21 days. Check the Act.