Abbay Head office address?

gazza
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What actual address does everyone use for Abbey head office(C/O anyone in particular?)?

I assume a non-PO box address is best?

Hoping to send first letter tomorrow.

Cheers

Gaz

The head office address is

Abbey National PLC

Abbey National House

2 Triton Square

Regent’s Place

London

NW1 3AN

If you send it there it will end up where it needs to go. I am not 100% sure if it is best to send it to a more specific address unless you are sure it needs to go there otherwise there would be a delay (i.e. only use the DPA address to send a DPA request to)

Abbey (Charges on 3 accounts and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 30/03/06 - 40 days limit is 9th May - Recieved DPA printouts 05/04/06 with microfiche "fob off" letter. <p>Barclaycard (Charges on 1 account and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 03/04/06 - 40 days limit is 13th May - Recieved some statements 08/04/06 along with DPA printout and a microfiche "fob off" letter. Claim for £340 sent 11/04/06

• 3 weeks later...

*Re-posted, was in General section*

This from Abbey, but possible from any bank, I suppose...

We have put our preliminary letter in, and today putting our letter before action after the first 14 days expired.

Last Saturday we got a letter from a debt collection agency, with a 'final demand' for the total of our overdraft (£3k!) to be paid within 48 hours!

My wife rang and asked for time to pay/could we pay by installments or something. We were told (by a very rude person on the phone) no, nothing but full payment will be acceptable or court procedings will commence. We had to tell them to go ahead.

Any advice on what we could/should do, very gratefully received.

Cheers

Gaz

MODERATED post moved to original thread

Send them a letter, posted special delivery, making it very clear that the amount owed is in dispute, and that any attempt to start a court action to recover the sum will be defended vigorously and you will make it clear to the courts that they have proceeded in the full knowledge that you contest them.

In the mean time, work out what you really do owe them (overdraft amount minus charges imposed) and offer to repay this amount in installments if you can't afford a one-off.

Then MAKE that payment, even if they refuse it!

It's a good idea to produce an income+expenditure sheet. Contact the CCCS on 0800 138 1111 for advice and assistance, or if you like I can email you my own spreadsheet with some guidance (please note I'm not a trained counsellor, but do have personal experience).

Good luck

• Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Nice bully tactics...

How much are you claiming back?

1 - You need to get back to the collection agency and advise them that the amount is in dispute, which it is.

2 - You need to remind them that they have a duty to try and negotiate repayments rather than just heading for court.

If I were you, I would work out a repayment plan. Then, send them a cheque for 1st payment, with a letter covering the above points, and advising that you will keep on sending them the same amount weekly/monthly/whatever, at least until disputed amount has been sorted out, and will then reconsider terms accordingly. Try to insist that interest is frozen from now on until settlement.

If they cash the cheque, they can't then say "not acceptable, we're taking you to court", a judge would take a very dim view of that, considering that you made a valid attempt at concilation outside court.

HOWEVER. Once you have started repayments as per above, do not let it lapse or pay late. Make sure you pay what you can afford.

• Confused 1

Thats all excellent advice!

We have been quite worried about what to do- as you'd imagine.

I will get straight onto it...

Cheers

Gaz

Edit: We are claiming back just over £4k now. With another account with over £1k of charges, that we will 'remember' having later....

In the mean time, work out what you really do owe them (overdraft amount minus charges imposed) and offer to repay this amount in installments if you can't afford a one-off.

Then MAKE that payment, even if they refuse it!

Good luck

Our OD is £3k but we are claiming over £4k back in charges, so would you suggest just saying that it is in dispute, and not offer to repay any?

Cheers

Gaz

That's correct.

I had wrongly presumed there would be a negative figure, but in your case the whole amount is disputed. And then some!!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

UPDATE:

We have sent letters to the debt collection agency to inform them that we are disputing the amount(of our overdraft) with Abbey.

Also we have sent 'letter's before action' to Abbey and Halifax.

Question: What can one do if in the meantime (today) Abbey have added two more charges of £30 each? Do we just add it on if we go to court, or if a settlement is offered try to get those added? Or are we to wait and start again separately claiming for these (or any other future charges)?

Cheers

Gaz

Just add them to the list. I am winding down my accounts with the abbey so I do not incur any more charges while the claim is going through. This is only so I don't have to go back and do another claim.

The £50 I have found out about today are there in black and white on the statement, I just wish I had kept old statements. Would have made things so much easier.

• Confused 1

Abbey (Charges on 3 accounts and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 30/03/06 - 40 days limit is 9th May - Recieved DPA printouts 05/04/06 with microfiche "fob off" letter. <p>Barclaycard (Charges on 1 account and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 03/04/06 - 40 days limit is 13th May - Recieved some statements 08/04/06 along with DPA printout and a microfiche "fob off" letter. Claim for £340 sent 11/04/06

• 2 weeks later...

It's in the Bank Templates Library, look for the Particulars of Claim threads near the top.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again.

So, we (wife and I) had got to the stage of putting in a court claim on 2nd May after the preceeding letters had been sent at the recommended 14 day intervals.

Unfortunately, we weren't in the position, financially, to apply to the small claims court on the 2nd...until now.

My question being what should we do now? Just go straight ahead with the court claim- after all Abbey have had the 2 warnings then another almost 3 weeks since. Or should we now give another notification of our intention?

Thanks in advance.

Gaz

In Abbey's T&C's they say they can call in an overdraft with 30 days notice. By calling it in within 48hrs, isn't this a breach of T&C's?

Abbey

Data Protection Act Request 14th March

Chaser sent 3rd April giving 20 days to respond

Request for Payment and Data Protection Act Failure letter sent 23/05/06

Full statements recieved end of May

Letter Before Action sent 13/06/06.

Claim amount - £1938 plus £288.79 interest

Claim submitted 28/06/06

Ref: 6QZ42158

That's a good point, but I 'bumped' in hope of some advice re. the last post/question by myself (err...that'd be the 3rd last post inc. this one).

:)

Cheers

Gaz

Go ahead with the legal action, the fact that there is a delay between your time frame, and the actual time frame you have taken will not matter.

I have four other cases to fight, all have had DPA's, Prelim Letters and LBA Letters, and are now about 4 weeks after the deadline that i had given them.

I am in the same boat as you were, that it was not financially possible for me to launch these other claims until i received the money back from my first (with Abbey).

I am in court on Wednesday against Abbey's fight to put aside the Default Judgement that i have already won, and am expecting to see some money soon!

So, the short answer

GO FOR IT!!

• 8 months later...

Just to let you all know that after a long layoff of chasing Abbey (due to some severe family and financial problems).

We eventually got as far as getting a court date with Abbey of 14th Feb.

Low and behold, on 1st feb we got a letter saying due to the legal costs Abbey would incur, blah blah they were going to SETTLE IN FULL FOR £3418 + expenses!

We got the cheque yesterday 6th Feb.

Many many thanks for all the info and advice given here.

Now we are going after Abbey again for 2 more accounts with close to £4k more of charges, and another 'layed off' dispute with Halifax for a couple of hundred £.

A question: Is it best to specifically mention to Abbey that they have already settled on 1 account when chasing these other 2? Or keeping it quiet?

Cheers

Gaz

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks