In laws Immediate family or not?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4632 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Im having an issue with work in relation to my Mother In Law passing away 2 weeks ago.

I was advised by HR that i was entitled to 5 days compassionate leave and that i needed to speak to my team leader to authorise it. My team leader wasnt in so i spoke to the other teams Team Leader who had a go at me for speaking to HR and then said that HR dont know what they are talking about and are only there for the bosses benefit.

Im so confused about what im meant to do, do i put in a Grieveance about my Team Leader for not following the Handbook and risk losing my job or do i just accept that whats written in the handbook is wrong unless your boss agrees with it?

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

They have said i can have 1 day (for funeral) but handbook says up to 5 so had to use holiday entitlement for 2 days too as it was sudden.

Boss is just very arsey and threatening in remarks back e.g. HR dont know what there doing, Consider yourself lucky you have a day etc which considering what has happened etc isnt really very nice. Its also very confusing being told 1 thing by HR and another by Team Leader.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

I'd say if it's written in the staff handbook that you're entitled to a certain amount of leave, and HR have agreed it, it should stand.

Put in a grievance to HR. Tell them what the line manager said about them, they tend to be quite insecure:wink:.

"Where a death occurs of an immediate or extremely close family member, you will be granted paid leave of up to 5 days. This can be extended as either paid or unpaid at the discretion of your manager.

In respect of the death of a close but not immediate family member you will be granted up to 1 day's compassionate leave either at time of death or for funereal"