Positioning of bus stops

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Before I go postal with the local council I thought I'd tap the fountain of CAG knowledge first.

Just before the entrance to my street there is a layby with a bus stop in it. Buses could pull in, drop people off, pick people up, traffic could get past and everything was generally good.

Now the bus stop has been removed from the layby and placed about 15 feet away from the entrance to my street. This now means that whenever a bus stops, traffic can't get past, and you cant enter or leave my street as the bus is blocking the entrance.

I'm hoping someone knows the legalities of bus stops before I go off on one at the council. Surely it can't be legal to place a bus stop in such a way that the buses block access?

I will leave the legality to others. You should understand that the object of the change from a layby is to stop traffic. This is a deliberate ploy to enable buses to maintain their timetables and frustrate the motoring public in a mistaken belief that it will drive the car driver off the road and onto the buses. Bus drivers complained that other traffic would not allow them to pull away from the kerb or out of a layby thus slowing their service. Now in towns we are subject to the (s)lowest denominator with extended bus stops.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

The siting of bus stops has to be approved by the local authority. If you consider that it has been moved to a position which is potentially dangerous, you should raise your concerns with them.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

The siting of bus stops has to be approved by the local authority. If you consider that it has been moved to a position which is potentially dangerous, you should raise your concerns with them.

Not the local authority; the highway authority.

Unless a trunk road or unitary authority, this will be the county council

Not the local authority; the highway authority.

Unless a trunk road or unitary authority, this will be the county council

So that isn't the local authority then?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

(SIGH!) Sorry OP, you need to contact your local HIGHWAYS authority about the bus stop, not the local authority who perhaps would'nt of refered you on it seems.

Please Note