Parking Charge Notice to Owner

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4506 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, anyone here :violin:

Basically, got a letter from a car park management company demanding £££ (three figure sum) :mad2::mad2::mad2:

Second letter plopped in not long ago with the pic of my car, front and rear, as I went in and left...

Basically I went into a private car park to ask for accommodation information... This took quite a while, but less than one hour.

MoneysavingExpert and other websites advise a no-response approach and avoiding the word "appeal", as this validates the

basis on which one is being charged, which is under contract law... The letter states that I have breached the terms and

conditions as I did not pay and display, but, for all I can remember, there was insufficient notice of the penalties, and no

barrier that forced one to collect a token/ticket before entering. I should stress that around the particular area in question

there is nowhere to safely leave the car, and after many miles on the road, the last thing I would have thought was that it

was "illegal" to temporarily park in the hotel's driveway in order to ask information to give the hotel potential custom!!! :!::!:

I looked on satellite but the area cannot be zoomed into, it is protected, although there appear to be no big (yellow) sign at

the entrance warning of the consequences of not collecting a ticket... I ended up staying at the hotel round the corner, which

turned out to have a separate car park, which was closed until they pressed a button for me after I actually checked in...

I called the hotel in question but the reception could not comment except saying that they have received a few calls "about

this", which suggests I am not alone in falling fowl of this situation. I actually parked in a car park which cost £5 for 24 hours

via a deal with the hotel round the corner... So, effectively I should not be asked to pay £££ (three figure sum). The company

in question is registered with the BPA, so they are legit; other forums would suggest that

1) where one is not obstructing parking spaces for other users, for example, and/or

2) lessening profit for the company in any way, and

3) given that no written agreement has been entered into that vouches for a "breach of contract" notice, and

4) given that the money demanded is disproportional and punitive compared to the actual administrative costs and costs to

the business (let's say £5 or double that),

then I should not respond at all...

I welcome any comments...

Thank you x x x :cheer2:

Indeed... Thankfully I have a witness, who was in the car at the time, and who can validate the lack of clear signage or of barriers... I should add that the hotel is wedged between roads with no parking bays, and it makes it difficult, on arrival, to find suitable alternatives other than going in... right into the money trap...

:flock:

PS - The difficulty here is that I only have my and my travelling partner's memory to rely on, as the area is too far to return to now for taking photos/evidence...

Unfortunately I do not know anyone in the immediate vicinity who could do me the honours, so I do not have the luxury of absolute certainty. The BPA's Code

of Practice says that the signs should be of certain dimensions and visible throughout the parking precinct, but without actually going back to and measuring

the signs and their location, it is hard to use this as part of a defence... I doubt that the hotel would provide such information... So I will just have to wait!!!

:lol: Fun and games!

Edited by GirlWithAttitude
Needed more info

MoneysavingExpert and other websites advise a no-response approach and avoiding the word "appeal",

Surely, by taking the "no-response" approach, you have by definition avoided using the word "appeal". :dance:

...although it doesn't matter a jot what you say to them anyway. You can send them an A3 sheet of paper with the word "APPEAL" printed in luminous ink. You can send them a neon sign saying "I APPEAL" - there's still nothing they can do because they don't have any business inventing their own fines in the first place.

...although it doesn't matter a jot what you say to them anyway. You can send them an A3 sheet of paper with the word "APPEAL" printed in luminous ink. You can send them a neon sign saying "I APPEAL" - there's still nothing they can do because they don't have any business inventing their own fines in the first place.

ROFL....This need to be stickied :whoo:

• 3 months later...